The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4320
I'm a bit late to this discussion of messaging apps but I love GoSMS :biggrin:
I prefer the stock HTC messaging app alongside SMS Popup for notifications. Wouldn't want to use my phone without it any more. :tongue:
Original post by AugustWestie

Original post by AugustWestie
I prefer the stock HTC messaging app alongside SMS Popup for notifications. Wouldn't want to use my phone without it any more. :tongue:

Trust me Handcent and ChompSms are much better than the HTC one, I was in the same boat before. You should at least try it out.
Original post by yoyo462001
Trust me Handcent and ChompSms are much better than the HTC one, I was in the same boat before. You should at least try it out.

I tried Handcent and hated it. Couldn't get over how ugly it was, despite the number of skinning options it offers. I haven't tried ChompSMS so I suppose I could give that a try. :tongue:
Whatsa the best back up app to use? I need to factory reset my phone
Original post by TheCasual
Whatsa the best back up app to use? I need to factory reset my phone

What do you want to backup?
Have you got root access?
Original post by mikeyd85
What do you want to backup?
Have you got root access?

No root access and I want all my apps, settings and messages backed up
Original post by TheCasual
No root access and I want all my apps, settings and messages backed up

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackup
Reply 4328
Right, advice needed here. My Dad's going to America in a couple of weeks and I've asked him to be kind enough to buy my a Xoom since it would work out at around £370 which is arguably a lot cheaper than buying it from here but I'm still undecided as to whether or not to just go for a safe option like the iPad 2? The tablet constantly gets stick over on Engadget which tbf appears to be slightly favourable towards Apple but I don't know which one to go for any more.

I'm not sure how much I can put up with the ecosystem that Apple offers cos it's frustrating but on the other hand this whole argument about the range of apps etc is quite convincing. :colondollar:

Any help would be appreciated...:s-smilie:
Is it possible to upgrade from Eclair to v2.2?
Original post by bigmo7
Right, advice needed here. My Dad's going to America in a couple of weeks and I've asked him to be kind enough to buy my a Xoom since it would work out at around £370 which is arguably a lot cheaper than buying it from here but I'm still undecided as to whether or not to just go for a safe option like the iPad 2? The tablet constantly gets stick over on Engadget which tbf appears to be slightly favourable towards Apple but I don't know which one to go for any more.

I'm not sure how much I can put up with the ecosystem that Apple offers cos it's frustrating but on the other hand this whole argument about the range of apps etc is quite convincing. :colondollar:

Any help would be appreciated...:s-smilie:

Have you used Android before? Or the Apple mobile operating system?

I think the Xoom has Abode Flash on it, and this would lend to a better Web browsing experience, but I think both are amongst the better tablets out there.

As for the range of apps, iOS and Android both have large ranges, even though Android is open source and iOS not so much.
I have to say I'd rather get the ipad2, everything seems much more polished on ipad atm - I believe android will catch up though! But not right now. Also it'll retain its value a bit better. Jailbreak it though.
Original post by rajandkwameali

That would depend on what phone you have.
Reply 4333

Yeah it should be, depends on the phone but for most if they're on Éclair then it should be able to bring them up to Froyo.

Have you used Android before? Or the Apple mobile operating system?

I think the Xoom has Abode Flash on it, and this would lend to a better Web browsing experience, but I think both are amongst the better tablets out there.

As for the range of apps, iOS and Android both have large ranges, even though Android is open source and iOS not so much.

Yeah used both of them, I just don't know which one to use for a tablet tbh. :s-smilie:
The apps argument isn't so strong on tablets became 90% of what you'd want to do is web browsing on the sofa. In that regard I would go for the xoom because it will have flash. Only problem is the xoom seems rushed out so it might be worth it to wait till they iron out some of the kinks.
Original post by mikeyd85
That would depend on what phone you have.

Samsung Galaxy 3
Reply 4336
Samsung Galaxy 3

Yes, upgradeable to 2.2

Clicky
So what's HTC got on the horizon besides the Desire S?

I mean, I really want either an HTC for sense and all the nice little touches they have on their interface (the only Android manfucaturer that puts a lot of thought in to their products imo) or an iPhone 5 this year. But HTC seem to be releasing very minor updates. Anything on par with the Samsung Galaxy S2 out there? I'm really not keen on Samsung with their crappy support, optimisation (or lack of) and lack of updates. The Atrix looks fantastic except I'm not interested in Webtop and Motoblur<Sense. It's got a high pixel density and seems to be fairly compact though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4338
Samsung galaxy s2 is coming out, my friend says it has dual core? And runs ginger bread?

My contract ends in august so I could get it just dunno if it's worth it.

Is it true that ginger bread can be run on sgs? I remember one guy tried to sell an sgs with 2.3 beta, but I already got this phone by that time.

What I wanna know is, if it's possible how EXACTLY could I install it on my phone?
Reply 4339
Original post by G8D
I'd get the XOOM but I'm a loyalist **** :dontknow:

Well I think I'm slowly becoming one too...dunno if it's enough to stop me from buying an iPad yet though :p:

Original post by yoyo462001
The apps argument isn't so strong on tablets became 90% of what you'd want to do is web browsing on the sofa. In that regard I would go for the xoom because it will have flash. Only problem is the xoom seems rushed out so it might be worth it to wait till they iron out some of the kinks.

Hmmm I guess but I reckon I would probably still play games on it too and although there are good games on Android, the availability of games for Apple are a lot. I wanna go for the Xoom just for the hell of it cos I might enjoy it more but I don't wanna end up not using it because it lacks some features etc.

I've saved up for a while now so I don't really want to make a bad decision here :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending