The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7840
dont work on tills, but don't they come in various pack sizes like pack of 8 and 16, imagine pack of 32 are over the counter ones.
challenges and refusals book removal, is it throughout the store including shopfloor? even though i've never asked an 8 year old kid whos picks up an 18 rated game for ID.
im pretty sure its 32 tablets cos i work h&b =/ it normally corresponds to 2 boxes though...
Reply 7842
Original post by inksplodge
im pretty sure its 32 tablets cos i work h&b =/ it normally corresponds to 2 boxes though...

Depends on the strength of the tablets.
Reply 7843
On my induction and refresh training we were just told that it was no more than 2 boxes per transaction.
i think most boxes normally have 16 tabs in them, the aspirin/paracetamol/ibruprofen anyway
Reply 7845
Original post by Oh-No!
Its all going onto repos (the computer). When you sell a age restricted item, it will come up on the till with more than "Yes" or "no", and adding other options like Underage, Drunk, No ID, ID OK etc. Can't remember the exact options though.

Also, finally gift cards will work on self scan - They took their time on this one!

Also also, anyone else heard about the grablocks change?

I think the grab lock change is silly. At least change the rules so they don't have to be locked during the day.

Atleast it makes my life easier at the end of the night :biggrin:

Apparently they are also making the Active Kids box and Think 25 Box smaller too. Maybe so you can see the shop total?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KatrinaLou
Oh. I had a customer go through with 3 boxes of 16 plus two packs of ibrofen (spelt wrong) the last time I was in.

When I did my induction we weren't told how many it was legal to sell only that the till would flag it up. But I was talking to my neighbour (who works for a different supermarket) who said that their tills don't flag it an it's up to the colleague themselves to say no and that if they don't they could get fine. So I am a little worried about the one I did.

Yeah that's way more than they're allowed to buy but I wouldn't worry about it just this once.

We were told no more than 32 tablets but it doesn't flag it up I don't think. The other day I had a customer who bought 2 packs of ibuprofen and 2 packs of paracetamol and he started having a go at me saying they were 2 different things (as if I was stupid) but then afterwards I was thinking it is definitely all painkillers isn't it? It's not just no more than 32 tablets of paracetamol?

Also, what about if there is one or people with the person who is buying the shopping and then they try and buy more packets and you pull them up on it. But then afterwards one of there friends or whatever buys the other ones? Are they allowed to do this? I never know what to do.
i don't understand why they'd want so many tablets in the first place. if they needed it for daily pain relief they'd have it prescribed surely? lol.
i don't understand why they'd want so many tablets in the first place. if they needed it for daily pain relief they'd have it prescribed surely? lol.

Exactly, that's why they have the policy they do, but so many people just get angry and start complaining that it's 'a joke' when you tell them they can't buy that many,
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Yeah that's way more than they're allowed to buy but I wouldn't worry about it just this once.

We were told no more than 32 tablets but it doesn't flag it up I don't think. The other day I had a customer who bought 2 packs of ibuprofen and 2 packs of paracetamol and he started having a go at me saying they were 2 different things (as if I was stupid) but then afterwards I was thinking it is definitely all painkillers isn't it? It's not just no more than 32 tablets of paracetamol?

Also, what about if there is one or people with the person who is buying the shopping and then they try and buy more packets and you pull them up on it. But then afterwards one of there friends or whatever buys the other ones? Are they allowed to do this? I never know what to do.

Does it apply across the range of painkillers?! Our induction only talked about paracetamol. Plus, as you can take paras, ibu & aspirin at the same time to keep on top of strong pains, it has never occurred to me to count the different items together. :/

I just don't like to judge people on their shopping. I mean, how do we know that the customer isn't buying items for multiple people? And, not to be explicit or anything, but there are times when you might need to take painkillers at regular intervals for a short period of times. I think it would bug me as a customer if I had to go through the checkouts again/go to another shop/come back another day if I was feeling that rough in the first place.

It is all a bit vague, isn't it... Ideally, they should put it on the computer to avoid the confusion, with notices on the shelves for the products so that the customers know.
Original post by affinity89
Does it apply across the range of painkillers?! Our induction only talked about paracetamol. Plus, as you can take paras, ibu & aspirin at the same time to keep on top of strong pains, it has never occurred to me to count the different items together. :/

I just don't like to judge people on their shopping. I mean, how do we know that the customer isn't buying items for multiple people? And, not to be explicit or anything, but there are times when you might need to take painkillers at regular intervals for a short period of times. I think it would bug me as a customer if I had to go through the checkouts again/go to another shop/come back another day if I was feeling that rough in the first place.

It is all a bit vague, isn't it... Ideally, they should put it on the computer to avoid the confusion, with notices on the shelves for the products so that the customers know.

i've always been told it applies to all painkillers!
Original post by affinity89

I thought it applied to all painkillers and i'd never really questioned it until then. I was under the impression that it didn't matter whether you had:
4x paracetamol or
2 x paracetamol and 2 x ibuprofen or
1 x paracetamol 1 x ibuprofen and 2 x aspirin, etc

That you could still only by 2 boxes (32 tablets) of any combination :s-smilie:
Reply 7852
I don't understand why we're having this discussion? The law has been there for a long time: you can't buy more than two packs of pain relief off the shelf at the same time (and that covers all pain relief, it doesn't matter what the name on the label is). It's to prevent abuse and if you do need more, you need to get a doctor to prescribe you. If you get people who have no idea what they're doing taking all the pills they can get their hands on thinking it'll make them feel better, you end up with all kinds of issues. If a customer doesn't understand that then that's their problem, but it's the same thing as Think 25. Sainsburys has a duty to uphold the law. If it doesn't, it'll lose a lot of money through fines and lost licenses.
Reply 7853
Original post by FXX
I don't understand why we're having this discussion? The law has been there for a long time: you can't buy more than two packs of pain relief off the shelf at the same time (and that covers all pain relief, it doesn't matter what the name on the label is). It's to prevent abuse and if you do need more, you need to get a doctor to prescribe you. If you get people who have no idea what they're doing taking all the pills they can get their hands on thinking it'll make them feel better, you end up with all kinds of issues. If a customer doesn't understand that then that's their problem, but it's the same thing as Think 25. Sainsburys has a duty to uphold the law. If it doesn't, it'll lose a lot of money through fines and lost licenses.

pretty sure the paracetamol thing is not law but company policy?
Reply 7854
Original post by DDS
pretty sure the paracetamol thing is not law but company policy?

Original post by FXX

I was under the impression it was Government guidelines rather than law.

Edit: It appears to be law :frown: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5239636.stm

Regardless, if your unsure, call your supervisor over.
Random question really...

At my store, they are doing fancy dress just like the Comic Relief advert suggests. They are doing it both today and tomorrow.

A few people I've spoken to - who are working today - said they were not doing it, as they haven't got a fancy outfit / money to buy one [they agreed that they would rather give say £10 to Comic Relief than pay £10+ on an outfit]. However, I've not spoken to anyone in on Saturday to ask them.

Just wondering - what is the take up usually like for fancy dress days?

I don't have an outfit and am too busy with my dissertation to buy one. At a push though, I could cobble something a little random together.

Seeing as work is 50 minutes away on the bus, I'd love a heads-up lol. I don't want to turn up in normal uniform and be the only one lol. :smile:
At my store its only the same few people who dress up, plus some managers to try to encourage us, 90% of the store don't dress up.
id just put on a red nose or something :smile:

nightshift doesnt get to dress up hmph
Reply 7858
quita a lot dont dress up, our theme is wear something red or something funny, not gonna bother with the funny thing as the last time i dressed up there were a few when i started my shift at 1pm and then i was the only one from 6pm till 9pm. felt quite muppety (hmmm may dress as a muppet one day).

im just gonna stick on a red t shirt this time round.

everytime there is a non uniform day i do get worried that no one else goes in no uniform, but there is a reasonable turn out in the end.
i was working in a liverpool branch in sainsburys as i was bending over to take out the bread out the oven when my former working buddy tyrone slipped his hand down my pants i was highly concerned and told the manager and he did not further the matter i feel violated

Latest

Trending

Trending