The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
I have an interview! Does anyone else? Its for medical physics in Newcastle, so excited! :smile:
Reply 1321
Hi everyone! noticed this thread in google search so thought i'd see if anyone has heard anything back yet from scottish applications? Or anyone thats applied?

Ta!
Reply 1322
Anyone heard back from the Biochemistry posts?? I'm getting anxious now......
Reply 1323
Original post by sbarron
Meee

Well done! any idea how many posts they have or is it just one since they dont say?
Reply 1324
Original post by Immuno
Hi everyone! noticed this thread in google search so thought i'd see if anyone has heard anything back yet from scottish applications? Or anyone thats applied?

Ta!

Hey I have applied to Scotland for medical physics but not heard back yet, I think they take longer than the English ones to get back to you.
I've managed to speak to the Head of my local lab that I've applied to and the new system is a shambles.

Firstly, the healthcare scientist training is not training to become a clinical scientist as many people believe. It does not guarantee you a job at the end of 3 year fixed term contract. You will have to reapply for positions and there is no guarantee you will be able to stay in the same location.

Most labs are moving away from having grade 8 clinical scientists as experiments become more automated (all they need is a BMS to run the robots...). Instead you'll find labs will have lots of BMS's and a few senior clinical scientists who review the results.

This is the first year of this new scheme and we (if we are lucky enough to get an interview) will be the guinea pigs! Not sure I'm still so keen after all.....
Reply 1326
Original post by sbarron
They have 4 posts.

If you didn't know.... Full time MSc is either Aberdeen or Leeds- they don't know which yet.

Yeh I know in previous years it has been at Aberdeen but I was surprised they hadn’t told people that in the advert. Have you received your confirmation email yet with where to go etc? I called this morning and arranged my time and was told they would email me but now concerned she’s noted down my email wrong. Was going to leave it a few days in case they have just not been sent yet.
Reply 1327
Original post by bunsenhoneydew
Firstly, the healthcare scientist training is not training to become a clinical scientist as many people believe.

so what is it training you to become? ? :s-smilie:

It does not guarantee you a job at the end of 3 year fixed term contract.

the old system never guaranteed you a job either. you sign on for the training scheme to enable you to get a permanent job.

This is the first year of this new scheme and we (if we are lucky enough to get an interview) will be the guinea pigs! Not sure I'm still so keen after all.....

the new scheme isn't that far off the old scheme. its mostly a revision of the time scale, only minor tweaks on content.
its still an msc and clinical training to get certified with ACS and registered as a healthcare scientist.
louisecc,

I think part of the problem is that the people running the labs/training don't know. Information in the modernizing career documentation shows a career progression; you can become a senior HCS or become a higher specialized HCS progressing to consultant. The problem is that these jobs don't exist at the moment, so no one knows exactly what this would involve.

I was told explicitly that this was not a clinical scientist position, however the scheme will replace clinical scientists - one statement seems to contradict the other.

I'm hoping in a few weeks time, information on what exactly will be expected of us in the job and what we are eligible to go when finished the training, will have filtered down from the top to those involved in the training/recruitment process.
Original post by (",)
Thanks :smile: I have already applied to two places There's only one other place that I can really apply to.

Were you successful then? What did you apply for? If not did you apply again?

I work in H&I. I only got to the interview stage of one lab the first time I applied, but went away and studied a MSc, came back and got the job second time round. The jobs are so competitive you really can't afford to take knockbacks personally, just a matter of seeing it as a long-term goal rather than expecting to get the job first time. I know that's not what some people want to hear, but it's best to keep trying if you're not successful the first time.

And bunsen is right about the mystery surrounding HCSs. I think everyone is in the dark as to how they will differ from CSs, communication from the top down to the labs seems to be pretty minimal. It's almost as if they've just released a load of marketing buzz words ("Healthcare Scientists" "Centralised Training" "Modernising careers") with no substantial information and are now hoping that will magically save the NHS money. Time will tell...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1330
Thanks for the reply! Just getting a bit disheartened now because its been 3 weeks and not a peep, sure i read somewhere that if you didn't hear anything in 4 weeks you were unsuccessful :frown:

Anyone applied for H&I, haematology or immunology in scotland out of interest? I think cause i've only got a Bsc(hons) ( and not even got it yet! Graduating june) That i'm unlikely to get an interview. Ah well can apply again next year..
Reply 1331
Original post by Immuno
Thanks for the reply! Just getting a bit disheartened now because its been 3 weeks and not a peep, sure i read somewhere that if you didn't hear anything in 4 weeks you were unsuccessful :frown:

Anyone applied for H&I, haematology or immunology in scotland out of interest? I think cause i've only got a Bsc(hons) ( and not even got it yet! Graduating june) That i'm unlikely to get an interview. Ah well can apply again next year..

Hey I wouldnt worry too much I know since I'm medical physics its a bit different but I applied to the scottish one and the deadline was 25th Feb and I have still not heard back either. However I know someone who got in last year and it had the same applications deadline, she didnt get told about an interview till 11th April. That me feel better, so there is still hope! Also unless it is different to medical physics they only require a Bsc, I guess higher degrees may look an added bonus but I dont think they would discount you for only that or they would put in the advert to have a higher degree.
Reply 1332
Original post by sbarron
She didnt take my email when i called so i think she can get it from our application forms- i was told they usually send engineers to aberdeen but physicists to leeds - this year with the new training the english uni's have had to provide full and part time MSc courses and due to this IPEM have to review their accreditation. The accreditation hasn't taken place yet so thats why they couldnt put in in the advert - they told me they hope for Leeds but as Scotland hasnt changed this year if Leeds fail to get the course accredited (unlikely) we would be sent to Aberdeen.

I think they will email us details just a week before the interview as i work with someone who did his training with them and thats what he said happens - they email what the interview involves and then we all only have a week to prepare.

Bit rubbish we only have a week to prepare but possibly for the best to stop me getting too distracted from my university work. I know someone who studied at Aberdeen and it was her who told me that the medical physics people from Newcastle also studied there but that was 10 year ago so I thought it might have changed. I'd be happy with Aberdeen or Leeds anyway, thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 1333
Thanks laura22!! Thats been a worry off my mind! Still hope yet, I can't believe they leave it that late eh! Its crazy. I'm kinda putting all of my eggs in the one basket but if i don't get a place this year I think ill do a research post, then reapply! Bit determined.

Really hope you get an interview for your place!
One of the lab technicians at my uni told me yesterday that they accept loads of people currently working as biomedical scientists in the NHS over outsiders?
Original post by Disenchanted
One of the lab technicians at my uni told me yesterday that they accept loads of people currently working as biomedical scientists in the NHS over outsiders?

They sometimes do recruit people working within the NHS, but I wouldn't say there are LOADS that go through that route. It's the same as every other factor, it'd give them an advantage but everyone has a fair chance based on their own qualifications and experience.
Reply 1336
Original post by sbarron
For any one interested there is a new immunology post being advertised in greater London. Strange they advertised after the closing date for the rest but might be something to do with sorting out funding.

I don't see it.
Does anyone know when interview dates will be sent out?
Original post by Purple head

I thought the interviews would take place as part of the assessment centre, the dates of which are given in the pdf's found at the following address: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsi_STP_training_opportunities.shtml
Reply 1339
Original post by Purple head

I found a timetable that states they will be shortlisting untill 23rd so Im assuming we will start to hear end of this week/start of next :smile: I think they have to give us at least a weeks notice of the interview or I hope they do. What Anne-marie said is right though the interview dates of each post are already on the website.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending