The Student Room Group

French department is cheating

Our French department has cheated and let half the year read from the sheet in their speaking. How can I report this anonumously?
The Exam board is AQA by the way. Everyone who has doen their speaking has come out saying they have cheated... that includes everyone.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An exam board will usually be able to tell if someone is reading something rather than remembering it so it is lkely if there are several suspicious cases, they will investigate it. I'm sure there probably is a way of reporting a centre but I don't suppose it's usually done by students especially.
Reply 2
why would you report it? it would be different if it was one perosn cheating and the others had worked hard, but its not. do you even do french? if not why do you care.

Edit- haters gonna hate ! as if you would pass up the opportunity to do well in an exam without any real effort.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AmrinderRai
Our French department has cheated and let half the year read from the sheet in their speaking. How can I report this anonumously?
The Exam board is AQA by the way. Everyone who has doen their speaking has come out saying they have cheated... that includes everyone.
Thanks

Don't.

You are screwing your school over. Mind your own business.
French and cheating?

Sounds right to me.
Reply 5
Yes I am taking french... and this is not fair... One of the students told me how they told him to make it seem as if he is struggling. This has happened every year... every year has admitted to it, and the school is fully aware.
This is very unfair.
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
Don't.

You are screwing your school over. Mind your own business.

As opposed to standing by and letting the school screw over other schools that play by the rules?
Reply 7
Yes I am taking french... and this is not fair... One of the students told me how they told him to make it seem as if he is struggling. This has happened every year... every year has admitted to it, and the school is fully aware.
This is very unfair.

So what? If you get your grades and so does everyone else then what's the issue? Everybody wins. Don't be THAT guy.
Reply 8
As far as I know, every school did that - mine let us but I felt too bad and didn't bring a sheet in so I could feel good about the grade in the end :p:
Everyone that took French further chose not to cheat, so they deserved their marks, and everyone that had to get French out of the way cheated, which means they just get a nice pass and get on with things they like more. I would just leave it to be honest ...
Oh our school did this with the lower groups. Meh, it doesn't really affect you and it's only GCSE's.

One quick question though, what possessed you to put this in the current affairs section? :wink:
Reply 10
What is likely to happen is your school would get disqualified for either just the oral exam, or even the whole French GCSE.

Think about it.

The whole GCSE is marked out of 360, and if you get disqualified for JUST the oral exam, you will only be able to get a max of 270, which is below an A I believe.
Reply 11
Original post by Genocidal
So what? If you get your grades and so does everyone else then what's the issue? Everybody wins. Don't be THAT guy.

Well like i said they've let half the year cheat... not allowing the other half as people started telling everyone about the cheating, so they stopped. And are covering it up with ridiculous excuses.
Reply 12
Grow the hell up man. Seriously look at the world around you it's all built on cheating and bribery, live with it.

Your whole school's grades might get affected as a result including yours. You will regret being such a smartass.
Well like i said they've let half the year cheat... not allowing the other half as people started telling everyone about the cheating, so they stopped. And are covering it up with ridiculous excuses.

That sounds a tad bitter and vengeful don't you think? :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by Prikstera
Grow the hell up man. Seriously look at the world around you it's all built on cheating and bribery, live with it.

Fascinating.

Who do I have to pay to get all A*s in my A-Levels?
Original post by Salazar

Original post by Salazar
Fascinating.

Who do I have to pay to get all A*s in my A-Levels?

Probably pay for a remark a few times and they'll give you the grade.
Reply 16
Are you doing French too? If so, I wouldn't risk reporting it. I would imagine that any consequences would affect you too. It might also negatively affect the people that didn't cheat even more than the cheating does.
Previous answerers are right; examiners are not stupid and will be able to tell what is a natural conversation and what is not. The people who cheat will probably be marked down because it would seem like they learnt it by rote.

I'm amazed by how commonplace this seems though! Certainly didn't happen at my school, although we weren't told any questions beforehand or anything, so to cheat we'd have to bring our entire French file in and flick through it to the relevant page. :tongue:
Reply 17
Wow, so many people are like "don't report it". I guess getting a good grade for reading instead of actually working and having the required level in a foreign language is cool, huh?

And then students complain that the language education system is crap in the UK. :facepalm2:
Reply 18
Original post by Genocidal
That sounds a tad bitter and vengeful don't you think? :rolleyes:

I'd say this isn't about getting personal revenge, really (or at least it shouldn't be), but a matter of principle. The school is obliged to follow the correct exam procedure set out by the exam board and not to give some of their students an advantage in order to improve the school's results. Because ultimately that's what this is about: not a few GCSE students getting higher marks than they deserve, but a school using unfair means so they can improve their pass rates and look good in the league table. And that clearly isn't right, so I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to report something like this. Actually doing so may prove tricky, though, because you might need stronger proof than a couple of people telling you after the speaking exam that they were allowed to read off the sheet.:dontknow:

To the OP: One thing you could do is call AQA and ask them for advice on how to proceed (if you can, it might be a wise move to get your parents involved at this point, because that makes it more likely that your concerns will be taken seriously). Don't mention the name of your school or anything, just outline what happened in broad terms, why you think it breaches exam rules and ask whether / how you should be reporting it. Then it'll be up to them whether they want to take any action on it or not.
Reply 19
Thanks

Mind your own business.

A lot of schools do this. Furthermore, I'd imagine the exam board is aware - it's a quirk of doing teacher-administered tests in this way that anyone and everyone can and will cheat. Just join in and play the system. I would disagree if something actually important depended on your French GCSE result - a university place, say - but no. Don't be that guy.

Quick Reply

Latest