The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Poll

Ideal future or perfect partner?

To state the parameters of this question (as it could be interpreted in different ways):

*Pretend you have not experienced your dream/future/career, i.e. to be an investment banker or to travel around the world. So it is NOT a case of "yeah, when I'll give up my career half-way through". No, it's one or the other.

*Your dream or whatever cannot be finding "true love" or "happiness" or any of that wishy-washy crap. Just definite and specific goals. No emotions included, it has to be an actual goal.

*To reiterate once again, it is a ONE or the OTHER choice. No best of both worlds in this case.

I edited this bit as people are going down the "compromise" route, i.e. they'll take the perfect partner with a not so perfect career. So the situation is changed. NO compromise. It's:

*Perfect partner + ****/no career
*Perfect career + ****/no partner

Also, no exploiting any loopholes.

Thanks. :smile: Interested in your opinions.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hell no. I'm going straight to the top baby!!
Reply 2
No
I'd give up both of them and do a PhD at Oxbridge. I know you love that :coma:
No, how about find a near perfect partner and still have my goals and dreams come true.
Reply 5
No
Reply 6
To be absolutely honest with you, no.

Okay the scenario has changed, still no:

1. I'm quite selfish, achieving my dreams is the biggest self-satisfaction I could ever have.

2. I'd want to live my dreams in order for my future kids to have to best possible life. Children > Partner.

3. As long is he's not inept and he has a penis, I'll live. I'm not expecting a perfect partner.

4. Perfect partner BUT living on min wage, barely able to put food on the table and the kids will suffer? No thanks. I'm selfish but not that selfish.

Sorry but I'm being honest, shot me.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would rather have a perfect and loving relationship, than climb to the top only to realise it's rather cold and lonely up there.
Reply 8
I'd give up my dream no problems........
Reply 9
Hmm. It depends.

I do know someone who's pretty much perfect, so if I had a chance to be with this person permanently, I'd stick with.

However, if not, I'd go straight for being the best DH and FR biker in the world. :wink: I already have my dream career chasing that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
perfect partner cos he's rich.

OH YEAH
Original post by HumanNature1992
No, how about find a near perfect partner and still have my goals and dreams come true.

No, because "near perfect" could imply your perfect partner, but just 1cm of the ideal height you wish in them. :rolleyes:

I'm really talking about extremes here - perfect partner or ideal future?
Reply 12
I probably would, not many find their absolute perfect partner in their lifetime, and the chance to have that is priceless
Original post by Smelly Ellie
I would rather have a perfect and loving relationship, than climb to the top only to realise it's rather cold and lonely up there.

Who ever said it's "cold and lonely" at the top?

OK, choose between a REALLY good career and a REALLY good relationship (to make things as fair as possible).

What would you pick?
Reply 14
Perfect partner, you could still have a great career just not your ideal one.
hmm....perfect partner

give up dream of doctor....and then become a successful hedge fund manager :biggrin:

everyone wins :biggrin:
Original post by HumanNature1992

I was gonna say something like this too :yep:. No real person is actually perfect anyway.
Future.
Original post by im so academic
No, because "near perfect" could imply your perfect partner, but just 1cm of the ideal height you wish in them. :rolleyes:

I'm really talking about extremes here - perfect partner or ideal future?

Right now I would keep my dreams and goals.

Thankfully this is only a hypothetical situation lol
Original post by Smelly Ellie

Well said - I share this view :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending