The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Perfect career.

Do it for 20 years, earn a fortune.
Then stop, and find myself a nice girl? :biggrin: Does that count, or can i never have one? :frown:

If not i'd still pick career and be one of those rich businessmen who go to red light districts a lot.
Original post by joey11223
I'll have to go with perfect partner. Although not having a dream career/lifestyle etc would be frustrating at times, I'd rather we got through it together as the perfect couple then me having a great job I'd always wanted..but not feel I'd met "the one" and felt something was missing in that regard.

So, to clarify, you would give up everything you ever dreamed of pursuing in the future for your perfect girl, right?
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Ideal future by a mile. What I plan to do is just way too large and global to give it up for another person.

Too large and global?

What is this, may I ask? :smile:
Reply 43
If my partner wanted me to give up my future career in Politics then I would leave him. Thankfully he wouldn't.
Reply 44
No.
I wouldn't want a 9 to 5 office job in exchange for the perfect partner.

I don't have a specific idea on what the 'perfect partner' would be anyway.
Original post by im so academic
Too large and global?

What is this, may I ask? :smile:

Making a change in the world :yes:

It's undefined I know, but the plan is being written as we speak. I just love teaching people and showing them the value of life and what it all really means. I can't give that up.

Social Entrepreneur :yes:
Reply 46
To state the parameters of this question (as it could be interpreted in different ways):

*Pretend you have not experienced your dream/future/career, i.e. to be an investment banker or to travel around the world. So it is NOT a case of "yeah, when I'll give up my career half-way through". No, it's one or the other.

*Your dream or whatever cannot be finding "true love" or "happiness" or any of that wishy-washy crap. Just definite and specific goals. No emotions included, it has to be an actual goal.

*To reiterate once again, it is a ONE or the OTHER choice. No best of both worlds in this case.

I edited this bit as people are going down the "compromise" route, i.e. they'll take the perfect partner with a not so perfect career. So the situation is changed. NO compromise. It's:

*Perfect partner + ****/no career
*Perfect career + ****/no partner

Also, no exploiting any loopholes.

Thanks. :smile: Interested in your opinions.

I would rather have someone I could tell all of my secrets, insecurities and faults to that would still love me and be faithful to me than sitting on my own with just a big bank balance t my name.

In the end, we cant take our money with us can we?

IMO, I would rather be poor and happy with a perfect man by my side than rich, on my own and miserable.

Btw, I know my grammar is bad :h:
Reply 47
most definitely not!

how can this even be debatable?!
Reply 48
Uhhhh that is difficult but I think I'd go for the perfect partner. If I had my perfect partner with me, then I don't think I would care as much for a career.
I would still care about education, knowledge but not success.

So yeah...a perfect partner I think would make me much more happier than a perfect career.
Original post by Tommyjw
Perfect career.

Do it for 20 years, earn a fortune.
Then stop, and find myself a nice girl? :biggrin: Does that count, or can i never have one? :frown:

If not i'd still pick career and be one of those rich businessmen who go to red light districts a lot.

No, you either have one or the other, as stated.
Reply 50
Original post by infernalcradle
hmm....perfect partner

give up dream of doctor....and then become a successful hedge fund manager :biggrin:

everyone wins :biggrin:

Hah, give up your life to be a hedge fund manager.
Original post by meenu89
If my partner wanted me to give up my future career in Politics then I would leave him. Thankfully he wouldn't.

But when you would have your perfect career + perfect man.

No, it's either perfect man WITHOUT politics or politics WITHOUT the perfect man.

Which is it?
Reply 52
Ideal partner, and I'm by no means a sloppy romantic. Quite the opposite, actually.

But when it comes down to it, being happy and having the love and support of someone who means more than anything in the world to me will always beat reaching the top of my chosen career and any additional benefits that come with it, i.e. money or status.

My dream of becoming a human rights lawyer would have to stay a dream, I'm afraid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
But when you would have your perfect career + perfect man.

No, it's either perfect man WITHOUT politics or politics WITHOUT the perfect man.

Which is it?

Career in Politics.
Reply 54
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Making a change in the world :yes:

It's undefined I know, but the plan is being written as we speak. I just love teaching people and showing them the value of life and what it all really means. I can't give that up.

Social Entrepreneur :yes:

Ahh, Thats really nice & refreshing :biggrin:
Original post by MelonFroot
I would rather have someone I could tell all of my secrets, insecurities and faults to that would still love me and be faithful to me than sitting on my own with just a big bank balance t my name.

You can tell your secrets, insecurities and faults to someone else who isn't your partner?

Ideal future/career =/= making money. They are not synonymous with each other. (Unless your dream IS to have a big bank balance).

In the end, we cant take our money with us can we?

Or your partner?!

IMO, I would rather be poor and happy with a perfect man by my side than rich, on my own and miserable.

It's not about being rich or being poor. It's about your dreams and goals and aspirations IRRESPECTIVE of money.
Reply 56
They wouldn't be my perfect partner if I had to have a **** life to be with them.
I know it's all your opinions but I think people are confused about the difference between success, money and career. Or maybe I don't understand that people have different priorities?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Cool story bro
Hell no. I'm going straight to the top baby!!

Exactly this.
There is no reason why you can't have both but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for perfect partner. What is success/money if you have no one to share it with?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending