The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is nottingham safe?

I've got an offer for Nottingham for pharmacy and divded between Bath and nottingham. People are saying Nottingham isn't safe, is it safe?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For the millionth time; yes, it's safe. I know it isn't your fault but everyone asks this and as far as I'm concerned its pretty safe. Safe as most built up areas.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Only the people who want Nottingham to be called Shottingham call it Shottingham, and there's about 5 of them
Yes, it's safe as any other city. Earned the title "Shottingham" years ago when crime rates were quite high, but they've since decreased. Just avoid the really dodgy areas like you would in any city.
Reply 4
Original post by ironandwine
Yes, it's safe as any other city. Earned the title "Shottingham" years ago when crime rates were quite high, but they've since decreased. Just avoid the really dodgy areas like you would in any city.

I've been around a dodgy area in London for a year and a half and the worst crime I've witnessed is a guy dealing weed(once) and that's it.
Reply 5
...like really...people are still asking this?

I'm sure people don't walk around the street carrying gun and wait to shoot random people.
People still call Nottingham as shottingham because it's catchy and apparently form a valid reason to not go there because it's "dangerous".

And tbh UoN is nearer to Beeston than the actual Nottingham city.
Reply 6
Original post by Wanischa
...like really...people are still asking this?

I'm sure people don't walk around the street carrying gun and wait to shoot random people.
People still call Nottingham as shottingham because it's catchy and apparently form a valid reason to not go there because it's "dangerous".

And tbh UoN is nearer to Beeston than the actual Nottingham city.

Beeston's nice. It was quiet when I was there. Quite a respectable neighbourhood.
Reply 7
The dodgiest thing I experienced in Nottingham was the people in the hotel room next to ours having sex really loudly.
Reply 8
I should have thought Nottingham was safe. Put the post code of Notts University campuses and Halls of residence in that fancy new police crime map thing. Check out all the crimes and different kinds of reports there. It may give an insight

http://www.police.uk/
Reply 9
Been in Nottingham for 2 years and the most you'll see is a student getting arrested for being drunk and disorderly. Basically, it's not this ghetto war zone that everyone has stuck in their head, if anything it's a lot nicer than some other cities.
I've lived there all my life, i've walked around alone in the dark drunk and i have been fine (: you'll find east midlands is a lot rougher than Nottingham, plus the university is in the nice part, like 20 minutes from the city
Reply 11
Lol the name Shottingham is just a joke now, be calm. Anyway I'm sure someone's already mentioned that the uni is in Beeston really.
Reply 12
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I should have thought Nottingham was safe. Put the post code of Notts University campuses and Halls of residence in that fancy new police crime map thing. Check out all the crimes and different kinds of reports there. It may give an insight

http://www.police.uk/

what's the average crime rate on that thing?
Reply 13
Original post by SteveCrain
what's the average crime rate on that thing?

I haven't checked it so I dunno. I gave a link so check it out.
Reply 14
It is no more or less safe than any other large city in the UK
Reply 15
Original post by happi_minnie
I've got an offer for Nottingham for pharmacy and divded between Bath and nottingham. People are saying Nottingham isn't safe and that it's called 'shotingham' or somethng like that becuase of the crime rates... is this true? :confused:

I've firmed notts for pharmacy too :biggrin:

And one of my mates is in her first year there already and she friggin loves it! Notts all the way :smile:

And it's only local nights out that I head have the typical "shottingham" rep, otherwise all student nights are fine :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by happi_minnie
I've got an offer for Nottingham for pharmacy and divded between Bath and nottingham. People are saying Nottingham isn't safe and that it's called 'shotingham' or somethng like that becuase of the crime rates... is this true? :confused:

Was born/raised in Nottm - and its no more safe/dangerous than any other comparative city in the UK. There are some horrible areas, but at the same time, there are nice ones.

Also, on the gun crime issue - usually, if someone is shot/stabbed its to do with drugs or other such gang-related activity - as harsh as it sounds - those who were shot usually deserved it for one reason or the other.

So basically, my advice is:

1) Don't join a gang
2) Get home contents insurance - burglary is what tends to affect students the most anywhere in the UK
Yes, it's safe. As with ANY area, keeping your wits about you and being street-smart is always a must!
Crime can take place anywhere. No place is exempt from hoodlums and chavs! :facepalm:
Nottingham seems fine to me.
Also just to add: the University of Nottingham is in Lenton, which is a student-filled area. You'll be fine.
Reply 19
Original post by ironandwine

This. I'm from a small town, there's dodgy places even here. So many students at Notts have told me how it's safe. I hate it when I say "Nottingham" and people say "Get a bulletproof vest". It gets old after 5 people say it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending