The Student Room Group

What career is for me?

Hey, well i have been reasearching alot into careers lately and no job really intrests me... So i was wondering if you guys could give me any good suggestions into what career would be best for me..

okay so this is what i like

1. Maths ( i really like it but wouldn't like a job completely based on it)
2. Computer data and reasearching ( I would prefer i office based job).
3. Computer Graphic am quite good at this and really enjoy it!
4. Money - jobs which involves money

What is the pay? i would like to have a good/ high paid job

i would like to have a job which doesn't involve working with people to much and maybe alot of hard work and independent.

Any suggestions? could you also please tell me what qualifation is needed for it etc?

Thanks
Have a look at Prospects.. you can find job descriptions, salary, training/qualifications needed, etc. There is also interest/skills questionnaires which will show you jobs it thinks would match what you are like.
Reply 2
What qualifications do you have currently?
I'm assuming you're not at uni yet so do a course in something you enjoy (something computer-based seems likely?) and throughout your time at uni you'll develop an idea of what jobs might suit you
Reply 4
Original post by Zebrastripes
Have a look at Prospects.. you can find job descriptions, salary, training/qualifications needed, etc. There is also interest/skills questionnaires which will show you jobs it thinks would match what you are like.

This website is really useful! thank you
Reply 5
Original post by n65uk

Well am still in high school and i am going to get 9 GCSE mostly A*-B
Reply 6
Original post by littlemissm
I'm assuming you're not at uni yet so do a course in something you enjoy (something computer-based seems likely?) and throughout your time at uni you'll develop an idea of what jobs might suit you

Yeah i was thinking about doing Graphic design at college but everyone seems to go against it and says its 'soft' which has put me off even thought i really enjoy the subject
Reply 7
Original post by n65uk

Does the A- Levels i choose determine which career i'll get into? Do degrees have entry requirements? ( ... am talking about a levels)

:confused::s-smilie::biggrin:
Original post by Becky
Yeah i was thinking about doing Graphic design at college but everyone seems to go against it and says its 'soft' which has put me off even thought i really enjoy the subject

If you're sure it's what you want to do then go for it. Ignore what other people think, it's not them that's doing it. If you're not entirely sure though I'd say take subjects that will leave your options open, perhaps art rather than graphic design if you get what I mean. Good luck whatever you choose :smile:
Original post by Becky
Does the A- Levels i choose determine which career i'll get into? Do degrees have entry requirements? ( ... am talking about a levels)

It depends on the degree. If you do a course search on ucas then it will show you what the entry requirements are. Many top unis will expect traditional subjects like maths and sciences such as Cambridge and LSE. But do what you enjoy! If you enjoy graphics design, then do it :smile: It really depends on what degree and universities you are looking at as to what A Level choices you make.
Reply 10
computing science
Reply 11
If you want to keep your options open, do a traditional academic subject. Graphic design is a very vocational, narrow discipline, but there is nothing at all wrong with that if that's what you fancy doing! My friend did Digital Arts at TVU followed by an MA in Brand Management and not long later got her first job as an account manager for a branding company earning £25k. She loves it. Don't be put off by things being "soft options" if you know why you're doing them and where they will lead you. Personally, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I took an academic subject so that I would have a lot of options afterwards.

By the way, if you want to do graphic design you will probably have to do a foundation art diploma first. You wouldn't have to pay to do this if you started the course before you were 19, but it would mean an extra year at home (unless you could fund living expenses to move elsewhere!).
(edited 13 years ago)
If you're into maths and computers and graphic design you could work to design and render video games.
Reply 13
Original post by Becky

Yes and no.

It was more to see what kind of things you're studying at the moment or what you are thinking about doing as A Levels. I.e doing a computing-based A level will land you in a better chance for both a uni place as well as a job, than say doing an Art A Level and degree and finding you don't like it - then trying to get a computing related job afterwards
Reply 14
Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending