The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Radioactive Blob
Hi, Just wondering if you could give me some advice about why you chose glasgow over keele? I'm in a similiar situation and unsure what to do :s-smilie:

Glasgow is much more renowned university world wide. Also i feel it has a proper university feeling compared to Keele. Glasgow the city is amazing and i think it is on par with London( where i live). The medical building is much better than Keele from what i have seen. Also the Royal Infirmary hospital is very good. I like Scotland due to the friendly people and amazing beauty.
Reply 2021
Original post by lekky
lol just been stalking your group

that's from the email that I wrote & sent out to my year! how the hell did you guys get it! LOL
though the changes to year 1&2 will also affect your year group

I got it off a guy in 1st year who used to go to my school before my interview. Abdul, the guy with the giant afro... :wink:. Sneaky eh.
Reply 2022

Original post by I.N.
Friend of mine suggested i got on here as its a gd place to ask for help on uni stuff. I got an unconditional offer to study at glasgow recently so was pretty happy. Im a gap year student so on my year out at the moment. Slowly starting to try and sort out accomadation, n finance etc. Booked a place on the applicants day. Should I be in any rush to apply for accomadation do you think? Im travelling soon so trying to get on top of everything.
I appreciate any help, and congrats to lots of you.

Heya congrats :smile: have u got any other offers or are u firming glasgow? Personally i've already seen some of the accom and like murano so im going to choose that as my first, but if I were you i'd wait till the open day to have a look around and then decide.
Warning about Murano... (please feel free to correct if this has changed)

It's a bit of a trek to the Uni and travelling to Murano involves hills and stairs. It is also known for its parties. The prospectus says it takes 25 minutes to walk to Murano, but it's closer to 30-40 minutes to get to and from the Uni depending on where you're going and where your flat is.

On the plus size, it has loads of parties and a really lively atmosphere, but NO PRINTER IN THE REC ROOM FFS.
Reply 2024
Original post by Harbour Seal

It's a bit of a trek to the Uni and travelling to Murano involves hills and stairs. It is also known for its parties. The prospectus says it takes 25 minutes to walk to Murano, but it's closer to 30-40 minutes to get to and from the Uni depending on where you're going and where your flat is.

On the plus size, it has loads of parties and a really lively atmosphere, but NO PRINTER IN THE REC ROOM FFS.

Oh cool have you lived there? Hmm a half hour walk every day does seem a bit annoying. does anyone take a bus? are you moving out of murano at the end of this academic year :smile:
Reply 2025

No offense but you must walk really slowly. It took me 20 minutes to walk to the med school from murano.

it is very noisey, lots of parties, don't expect to be able to sleep or work there lol, it's not for everyone but very sociable. pros and cons (as there are to all accomodation types)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2026
Original post by lekky
I came straight from a level
I just took my time gettng to a level :tongue:

Ha right, fair enough, well you might get your meal/drink in 3yrs :wink:, i'll be turning 22 jst before med school if i make it so, not too bad?!
Reply 2027
Original post by G550NDH
Glasgow is much more renowned university world wide. Also i feel it has a proper university feeling compared to Keele. Glasgow the city is amazing and i think it is on par with London( where i live). The medical building is much better than Keele from what i have seen. Also the Royal Infirmary hospital is very good. I like Scotland due to the friendly people and amazing beauty.

Yer, if you ever want to practice in USA, i wouldn't advise keele either
Original post by dmz
Yer, if you ever want to practice in USA, i wouldn't advise keele either

Dude, Im so sad to hear what happened. If anyone deserved an offer it was you ! I hope you still consider doing Med and i know if you keep at it youll get in for sure !
Reply 2029
Original post by G550NDH
Dude, Im so sad to hear what happened. If anyone deserved an offer it was you ! I hope you still consider doing Med and i know if you keep at it youll get in for sure !

Ha thanks man, it's all good. Just tryna decide what to go for in uni, but yer defo glasgow over keele, Glasgow's more renowned, it's a proper city too, ranked 9th for medicine according to guardian though that's irrelevant, bad side is it takes 2yrs to intercalate for a Bsc Hons as opposed to one, but i don't even know if keele intercalates, Glasgow allows two electives which is good if you intend on practicing somewhere like america or NZ, intercalating in those country gives you a little edge if i've done my research properly
testing...testing...
Thanks to Gurps for the help with my sig... :wink:
Reply 2032
Original post by sweetchilli

I nearly made one a week ago, would have been embarassing or what?! :lol:
Original post by dmz
I nearly made one a week ago, would have been embarassing or what?! :lol:

awwww...:frown:

No worries :smile:
Reply 2035
awwww...:frown:

stop feeling sad! :lol: i'm closer to deciding what to do with my life :tongue:
Original post by meemz
Heya. congratulations! are you firming glasgow? oh god tell me about the relief feeling! it's such a huge weight off your shoulders.
Im thinking about going to the open day. Why not take the train? Easier than a road trip :smile:

I knoww... every time I think about it I feel the relief allll over again lol. It's gna take a while to sink in, the wait for an offer has been going on for about 5 years now :P

and yeah train would be easier but for me plus my parents it would work out pretty expensive from birmingham =/ i spent a fair bit getting there for the interview (I got a flight - didn't trust trains with the snow haha)

edit: as for firming, I haven't had all my decisions yet, so I'm not 100% sure, but probably will :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lekky
No offense but you must walk really slowly. It took me 20 minutes to walk to the med school from murano.

it is very noisey, lots of parties, don't expect to be able to sleep or work there lol, it's not for everyone but very sociable. pros and cons (as there are to all accomodation types)

I have bad knees which do not appreciate hills or stairs :lol: Who knows, perhaps you're a fast walker?

Original post by meemz
Oh cool have you lived there? Hmm a half hour walk every day does seem a bit annoying. does anyone take a bus? are you moving out of murano at the end of this academic year :smile:

There is a bus, but this can be combated by living closer to the uni.

Uni accommodation tends to be for first years. Most people move out into shared flats afterwards. We had a second year student live with us in our first and he didn't really fit in or make any effort with us first years.

I lived there in 2004-05 academic year. :smile: It's good in first year as you get to meet loads of people from other courses which (I hear) pretty difficult when you do medicine. The firemen don't appreciate the call outs though due to oversensitive fire alarms or stupidity.
testing...testing...

Very nice :smile:
Facebook group for offer holders/firms... come and join!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_152706194790047&ap=1

Done :smile:

(well I've asked for permission lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending