The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it depends....

I know peninsula actually say that they'll accept A*AB in lieu of AAA, or even A*A*C....

but it depends on how many people meet their offer, and how nasty they are feeling
Reply 2
Original post by infernalcradle
it depends....

I know peninsula actually say that they'll accept A*AB in lieu of AAA, or even A*A*C....

but it depends on how many people meet their offer, and how nasty they are feeling

LOL, true true.
Reply 3
It depends on how much they want you.

If you're a good applicant and they have a space, then you have a chance.

If you're not a good applicant or they don't have a space, then no.
Original post by Renal
It depends on how much they want you.

If you're a good applicant and they have a space, then you have a chance.

If you're not a good applicant or they don't have a space, then no.

tbh, even if you're an otherwise good applicant and they don't have space, you can kiss your offer goodbye.

It's not personal or anything but if they're over quote then it's look for easy ways out of getting rid of people :colone:
I know a girl who was predicted AAA and got a corresponding for Glasgow Uni (AAB is their standard I think)... Anyway, she went on to get BBB.

I know this because she was at my medical school open day, a nice shiny third year :biggrin:

It might be tighter this year due to the rise in applicants, but my advice would be get your head down and study then phone the school as soon as the results come out.
Reply 6
I got my original offer in the wrong order and was rejected - i had to take a gap year and resit and reapply. on my reapp i only just got in by the skin of my teeth due to them having an extra space. if you miss the conditions, you can count on being rejected so get your head down and work your socks off because it is an absolutely horrific thing to go through.
Reply 7
I know more than a few people in my year who missed their offer.
Reply 8
Original post by Harbour Seal

It might be tighter this year due to the rise in applicants, but my advice would be get your head down and study then phone the school as soon as the results come out.

This is really all I can recommend to. It might sound cheesy, but seriously, just do your best. Doing your best is not revising for a few hours the day before the exam... it's working consistently throughout the year, spending every free in the library, and there is NEVER a time where there is nothing to do or work to complete. Heck, even spend internet time googling and youtubing stuff, and make sure you can use words like redox or tertiary structure off the top of your head.

Other than that, it's out of your control- no use worrying about the application process outside of AS exams, because that's really all you can do.
Reply 9
Original post by digitalis
I know more than a few people in my year who missed their offer.

but you applied 5 years ago - things have changed drastically and more people are getting AAA+ and securing their places.

Things are dependent on the medical school. Southampton have a policy where they reject you for missing the grade even if it's only by 1 mark; if you get AAA+ and they never gave you an offer in the first place you can get selected off the waiting list. Cardiff on the other hand take students on that missed their grades narrowly and very rarely use a waiting list - a friend got in there with AAC in 2009 for an AAB offer.
Reply 10
Answer is unfortunately don't risk it!
Original post by sd91
but you applied 5 years ago - things have changed drastically

Oh really?!?! **** me, four years of assisting with admissions (and seeing the actual interview criteria and marking proformas) was all a waste of time. Best get me pipe and slippers out and settle down by the fire.
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh really?!?! **** me, four years of assisting with admissions (and seeing the actual interview criteria and marking proformas) was all a waste of time. Best get me pipe and slippers out and settle down by the fire.

See, this is where euthanasia can come in use ammarite!?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Domo-Kun
So basically If they offer AAA
and you get A*AB?

Would there be any chance of getting accepted or is it set in stone?
Just curious, thanks.

Last year, King's and I think Peninsula accepted some people (well, I knew of two, they had ABB and can't remember). On the other hand, I also know three who didn't get into Leicester and one who didn't get into Nottingham last year: they had, A*A*AB (wrong subjects); AAB (wrong subjects); ABB; AAB (wrong subjects), respectively. The offers for the latter two med schools were AAB, btw.

In short, get the grades. If not, it's very likely they'll reject you no matter how good you are (because most people do get the grades and spaces fill up quickly).
(edited 13 years ago)
Depends what grade you get for separate subjects too. Like if the A* and A were in bio and chem then that would be looked on more favourably than if the B was chem.

I know people who've been rejected from getting the right grades in the wrong subjects, if that makes sense. E.g offer was AAB and chemistry and biology needed to be an A, but they got AAB in maths biology and chemistry respectively, or something like that.

Medical schools give out more offers than they have places as they expect people to miss grades, etc, so they'll be looking for any excuse to get rid of people.

Don't take the risk!
Reply 15

how has this got anything to do with missing offers and the final cull in august when results come out? have you physically sat in the office in august and confirmed students on the course and answered the phone to devastated applicants to turn them away? i suppose that given your 4 years experience, how many current year 1 students were admitted on to the course with grades below the standard offer? more and more people meet the requirements and i know several people personally who had barts offers and missed the grades by 2/3 marks in 2010 and were rejected due to lack of space. when you did your a2s they may well have taken on people with grades just below the offer but with competition at an all time high and alevels getting easier it just isn't the case anymore and candidates shouldn't bank on getting in if they miss the offer.

you're not the only one who has had experience on medical admissions boards, sat in interviews and seen the interview criteria and mark sheets so don't act so patronising.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16

To be fair, all you said was that there were people in your year who missed their offer. Nowhere did you say that you have been involved in other ways, which would have probably also been useful to the thread, rather than waiting to shoot down somebody when they innocently question your post.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sd91
how has this got anything to do with missing offers and the final cull in august when results come out? have you physically sat in the office in august and confirmed students on the course and answered the phone to devastated applicants to turn them away? i suppose that given your 4 years experience, how many current year 1 students were admitted on to the course with grades below the standard offer? more and more people meet the requirements and i know several people personally who had barts offers and missed the grades by 2/3 marks in 2010 and were rejected due to lack of space. when you did your a2s they may well have taken on people with grades just below the offer but with competition at an all time high and alevels getting easier it just isn't the case anymore and candidates shouldn't bank on getting in if they miss the offer.

you're not the only one who has had experience on medical admissions boards, sat in interviews and seen the interview criteria and mark sheets so don't act so patronising.

well said. I fully agree with you. The other person clearly does not know how competitive medicine has become and by missing a grade, it could cost you your offer.
Original post by ily_em
To be fair, all you said was that there were people in your year who missed their offer. Nowhere did you say that you have been involved in other ways, which would have probably also been useful to the thread, rather than waiting to shoot down somebody when they innocently question your post.

To be fair, all I did was answer the thread title with an anecdote.

As for the rest of you, I really don't care if you don't believe me. Not really going to make a difference to me, will it?
Reply 19
I very rarely comment on application business as I am very aware that I applied 10 years ago and a lot has changed. We did the old style a levels, didn't UAE entrance exs such as bmat etc and GEP courses did not exist. What I will say is that when I sat kn interview panels and we discussed whether to give offers we decided there and then whether to accept if they missed their grades. If they were an excellent applicant and interviewed really well it was not unusual to decide to give the candidate a place even if they missed their grades.

Regardless of this my advice would be to try and avoid missing the grades at all costs as you cannot rely on any lenience.

Latest