The Student Room Group

Two Rejections from LSE :( Outlook good for SOAS?

Received two rejections from LSE today. I had heard that if you heard back this late from a London university you were on the 'maybe pile', but evidently I didn't make it any further than that!

My other 3 courses are at SOAS. Does anyone know of/themselves experienced rejection from LSE but an offer from SOAS. I understand courses at LSE have way more applicants per place than SOAS do - is this correct?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllenTansey
Received two rejections from LSE today. I had heard that if you heard back this late from a London university you were on the 'maybe pile', but evidently I didn't make it any further than that!

My other 3 courses are at SOAS. Does anyone know of/themselves experienced rejection from LSE but an offer from SOAS. I understand courses at LSE have way more applicants per place than SOAS do - is this correct?

LSE definitely receives more applicants than SOAS, are you waiting for SOAS on all 3 courses and wondering if there is a correlation within UoL constituent colleges? I do not quite understand what you are trying to ask?
what courses?
Reply 3
Original post by semolina pilchard
LSE definitely receives more applicants than SOAS, are you waiting for SOAS on all 3 courses and wondering if there is a correlation within UoL constituent colleges? I do not quite understand what you are trying to ask?

Oh no, I know their admissions offices are completely separate!

I just wondered if 'their sort of people' were very different. If my grades and personal statement received two rejections at LSE, is that likely to be good or bad news for SOAS?

And the courses at LSE were Government and History, and International Relations and History, at SOAS it's History and Politics, History and Development Studies and Politics and Development Studies.

I really really want to go to SOAS, so I hope I get an offer from them!
Ha ****, you're doing the same courses I want for the same unis I want. Watching this thread like a hawk.
Reply 5
Haha sweet! What grades are you applying with?

And have you heard back from any of your choices?
Reply 6
No, you're not out of the running for SOAS. LSE admissions is generally more competitive.
Reply 7
Original post by kevin6767
2 Choices at the LSE and the other 3 at SOAS? Seems a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket. When did you apply? If you applied in January then you, in the grand scheme of admissions, haven't really been waiting that long as some people I know have been waiting since September for offers. The truth is no one can really answer your question of am I more likely to get a place because I have been waiting longer. Each application is given equal consideration if you applied before the 15th January and meet the entry requirements.

In hindsight, I really do wish I had put a less prestigious university on there - but my application was a little rushed, but I understand that was a risky move on my part.

I applied in November, but my old college didn't send it off until January, but I wasn't really asking about how the length of time waiting effected my chances, I was more wondering about the correlation between a rejection from LSE and an offer at SOAS, although I expect there isn't really one.
OP we couldn't possibly tell you of your chances of getting a place at the SOAS. :tongue:
Certainly, it may have been a mistake applying to two LSE courses. Maybe your PS was not focused enough.

I think you should have narrowed your subject choices down to two distinctive subjects; no matter how similar/how much each subject branches off together - you cannot present a competitive application if your Personal Statement is all over the place - Which is what it may sound like if you apply for joint honours in International Relations; Politics; Development Studies and History - All branched off each other in many way but they are not the same subject.

There is little correlation between LSE and SOAS applications. Whilst LSE is possibly the most competitive university in the country (for applicants per place) SOAS is still fairly competitive in a range of subjects that is taught at the University.

However, as you haven't heard back from SOAS yet, you should regard yourself within the running for a place at the University (at this stage ofc) and I wish you luck. :yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
How did you direct you're personal statement within your application? Did you tailor it to politics generally or did you mention a love of all international affairs?

I'm a third year law student and I got all my uni choices when i applied with offers at lower grades than the prospectus stated with no interviews, mainly thanks to my personal statement. I also wrote my sisters personal statement this year and she got 4 offers for nursing.

Primarily I think unis base whether or not to give you a place on your passion for the subject and how you demonstrate this through your personal statement. Choosing to apply for more than one course at any uni even within one general area like politics can be risky as they may assume you want to go to that uni (possibly for another non academic reason eg. follow friends/boyfriend) and you don't care about one specific course enough.

When I did my personal statement I tailored it for law but also applied for one joint course of law and politics however I didn't mention politics in my personal statement as I had done the a-level course and law and politics go hand in hand. Trying to cover so many course with one personal statement my have been your downfall with LSE i'm afraid.

However; there is no way to know how a university judges an application, you cannot compare one universities process to another. The only thing the university will assume that may cause them to look on you more favourably and respond quickly is if you apply very early and the uni you want to hear from is a top university because they may believe you are doing it earlier because you are applying for oxbridge. No university knows what other universities you have applied too, they are only aware if you've applied to more than one course within the same university.

I would say there is no way of knowing what they will say, i hope you get it :smile:
Reply 10
I wouldn't worry too much. I got rejected by LSE and accepted by SOAS. Chill and see what happens :smile:
Original post by louise22
I also wrote my sisters personal statement this year

Wouldn't that make it your sister's impersonal statement?
i'm still waiting on SOAS, they really do know how to keep people anxious!
I'm applying for geography & development studies,
i have an inkling that they were going to wait and see who bombed at the A level modules in january and then take it from there, a bizarre assumption maybe, but i have been told they do like to take their time.
Original post by yellowradiohead
i have an inkling that they were going to wait and see who bombed at the A level modules in january and then take it from there, a bizarre assumption maybe

Completely bizarre as universities won't be told the results of those exams until August (unless candidates come forward themselves with their results).
Original post by Good bloke
Completely bizarre as universities won't be told the results of those exams until August (unless candidates come forward themselves with their results).

soory, didnt know that :/ obviously don't know the ins and outs of ucas

actually for people like me; gap year students who ahve taken a year out to improve grades it is applicable,
actually for people like me; gap year students who ahve taken a year out to improve grades it is applicable,

Given that they won't get your results until August, how?
The only time this becomes applicable is when
a) You attended in Southern Hemisphere VI forms (where the academic year is Jan-Nov compared to Sept-Jun here). Final results are then posted this time of year because final exams are taken in Oct-Nov (compared to May-June in the Northern Hemisphere).
b) You directly contact the university with your new transcripts
(edited 13 years ago)
Given that they won't get your results until August, how?

i got my results two weeks ago
It's always risky applying to unis for multiple courses, as they can see what other courses you've applied to at that uni, and they could question your dedication to either. Altho your courses at LSE were similar, they state on their website that they want a 50/50 split for joint honours, and this means naming (so either 'I am interested in government' or 'I am interested in IR'). As for SOAS, you may have the same problem, you may not. No way of knowing for sure...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending