The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deema
Perfect partner, because I value relationships and family more than money. I see both options as being successful but I don't think I would be AS happy with a perfect career.

Success =/= career =/= money
Reply 221
There isn't really an answer to this, because the question is simply wrong...(as far as I'm concerned atleast)

You have used the words 'perfect' and 'ideal', which makes these two things interdependent (for me) and they can never be distinct in that context and if you insist that they are distinct than the words 'perfect' and 'ideal' no longer apply, in which case, WTF?

Its like asking to choose between living and breathing...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
:five:

Exactly.

If anything it's a SELFLESS act. I.e. giving up someone you would want to be with for your whole life for the good of everyone else and the world.

How is that a bad thing?

I'm losing out on my future perfect husband so this world can be better.

And people criticise that?

:rolleyes:

Yeah I know what you mean. Guess people have different priorities..I just hope it's not a scarcity thing..
Original post by DanielleT192
BUT on your hypothetical situation, I wouldn't more or less kill someone I love in order to pursue my career. As someone said, when you retire you'd have nothing left except a big pension. I don't think money would bring you happiness if you're old and lonely.

It's quite sickening to think that many people imply their future career is about making money.

Don't you have bigger goals than having 9-5? Solving poverty? Curing cancer?

Just shows how unambitious people are. No wonder people seek refuge to the world of "relationships" and "love" as they are too scared to use this one opportunity for life, go for it and achieve something great.

No, apparently it's better to be "safe and typical". :rolleyes:
Original post by Cicerao
Partner all the way. I would live in a cardboard box if I had to.

Would you drop out of university for your perfect partner?
If my Perfect partner could be a billionaire, then yes.

Otherwise I'd have the perfect career any day.
Reply 226
I'd rather have the career.
Perfection doesn't exist, so I would be suspicious of a partner that claimed to be so.
Reply 228
Success =/= career =/= money

Well you said "perfect career". My perfect career would come hand in hand with success and money.
Original post by HeatherJarvo
of course, if the partner was PERFECT then they would be 100% supportive of you chasing your dream job.

I don't care. What would YOU choose? Perfect partner or dream "job"?

this is a tough one though. you never know what you would chose until you are in that situation. you think you know, but believe me, it's different when it actually happens ;-)

:rolleyes:
It's quite sickening to think that many people imply their future career is about making money.

Don't you have bigger goals than having 9-5? Solving poverty? Curing cancer?

Just shows how unambitious people are. No wonder people seek refuge to the world of "relationships" and "love" as they are too scared to use this one opportunity for life, go for it and achieve something great.

No, apparently it's better to be "safe and typical". :rolleyes:

People have different aspirations in life. Live with it.

We're not all budding Einsteins who can go out and discover how to cure cancer or travel faster than light, there are personal things we all want to achieve in our lives which may mean nothing to some and the whole world to others.

Solving poverty is something a lot of us wish we could do but you need plenty of spare time to do so and a lot of money to make a real difference to people's lives, give them homes, feed them etc. which people in today's society are very short of.

You sound very young and immature, perhaps if/when you meet someone and have a relationship you will understand that not everything is to do with being the next Nobel Prize winner.
Original post by Smelly Ellie
It's a good job that in the real world we can have both :smile:

But in the real world, is it likely to achieve BOTH your perfect future and your perfect man?

Look at the people in dead-end jobs or who have successive failed relationships.

Don't expect it to be easy.
Reply 232
Would you drop out of university for your perfect partner?

He's encouraging me to be here, but I guess you mean if it were a clear-cut choice between my degree or my partner? My partner.
Reply 233
Having said that, most "love" songs are full of bull**** lyrics.

Pretty weak argument. It doesn't matter the"quality" of the lyrics, but the sentiment behind them. We're animals, and evolution dictates we want to procreate to carry on our genes, and it has also made us social. Career without family doesn't replace that.
Original post by gradjobplease
Your career will NEVER tell you it loves you.

Same could be said for a mute guy?

Who cares if someone says "I love you"? Who's to say they actually mean it?
I asked this to see how passionate people are, really. And to see if people still think that:

*career-driven = sadness
*family/partner-driven = happiness

It's depressing that people still hold these assumptions.

Ergo love =/= happiness (If that were true there would be no divorces).

:smile:

I agree with divorce rates - they are higher than ever these days but that's people just being idiots and creates another argument all together. You have to be more broad minded. I know you are setting this unrealistic example, but I think maybe you're being ignorant towards how important love is, because evidently you are passionate about striving your highest as I have seen in your previous posts with your high expectations.

I think once you, I and others on this forum soon find someone that changes that opinion, likewise with people who find their passions, they won't be so narrow-minded in thinking that one is less important than the othe but again I agree with what you have said. You're evidently an intelligent lass with valued opinions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by NeonSkies
People have different aspirations in life. Live with it.

We're not all budding Einsteins who can go out and discover how to cure cancer or travel faster than light, there are personal things we all want to achieve in our lives which may mean nothing to some and the whole world to others.

Solving poverty is something a lot of us wish we could do but you need plenty of spare time to do so and a lot of money to make a real difference to people's lives, give them homes, feed them etc. which people in today's society are very short of.

You sound very young and immature, perhaps if/when you meet someone and have a relationship you will understand that not everything is to do with being the next Nobel Prize winner.

Seconded.

I chose Perfect Future initially but then I looked at my boyfriend's photo and I think 'I would rather be with you' .... XD I can't change my decision on the poll now, sad...
Original post by Deema
Yeah I did understand the question, it's just that for me perfect career= respect, high position, money and satisfaction. But perfect relationship= respect, love, fun, family, many valuable memories and complete satisfaction.

So you can get love from a perfect career?
What's the appeal with a "family"?
You can't get valuable memories from a perfect career?
Who's to say a perfect won't completely satisfy you?
Original post by Harry.C
Pretty weak argument. It doesn't matter the"quality" of the lyrics, but the sentiment behind them. We're animals, and evolution dictates we want to procreate to carry on our genes, and it has also made us social. Career without family doesn't replace that.

This.
Not being selfish or anything, but no. If it goes **** up then you're ******

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending