The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think you might be able to just take the grant.....not 100% sure though.
Of course.
They give the grant if your families income means that the maintenance loan isn't enough for you to live off because they cannot help you financially. You can't receive free money without taking the maximum that you have to pay back first.
Reply 3
They give you the grant if you family income is under a certain amount. It'd be hard to live on just the grant so you'll probably need the loan too (unless you have savings)
Reply 4
but what if you only need to take out part of the loan (not the full amount possible)?? Do you still get some money from the grant?
Or just none at all, so it might be better to take out the full loan in order to get the grant
Reply 5
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/index.htm

As far as I'm aware you can choose how much of a loan you want. And you should still get grant money if your family income is below a certain amount.
People being able to take grants before taking loans is a clear sign that the system is broken.

Pay for your ****ing degree like the rest of us.
Reply 7
afaik they're two different things on the form - so just check the box for grant and to leave the loan free if you are not intending to take that out.
Original post by softy_dog1
but what if you only need to take out part of the loan (not the full amount possible)?? Do you still get some money from the grant?
Or just none at all, so it might be better to take out the full loan in order to get the grant

If you only need part of the loan, you don't need the grant. They tend to be pretty strict about giving away free money, so you probably wouldn't get away with it.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
People being able to take grants before taking loans is a clear sign that the system is broken.

Pay for your ****ing degree like the rest of us.

Another ignorant comment from you.

People in receivership of grants are paying their degrees like 'the rest of you'. Stop being bitter and crying because you don't get one and get a grip.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
No. That's not what you said at all. I quote

'Clear sign that the system is broken'. All present tense. Where in that did you say 'if they were able to'? Unfortunately I cannot mind read and can't interpret what you MEANT to say with what you actually did say.

You need to stop chatting nonsense and hush your gums sunshine.

I can see that he meant IF people could take out grants without the loan... It wasn't like blatently obvious but I can see that.

but the "pay for your ****ing loan" or soemthing, THAT was a bit silly from him because they clearly are.
Reply 11

'Clear sign that the system is broken'. All present tense. Where in that did you say 'if they were able to'? Unfortunately I cannot mind read and can't interpret what you MEANT to say with what you actually did say.

youre wrong to break down the statement in that way.

if youre gonna be pedantic, get it right.
(edited 13 years ago)

PROTIP: "People being able to" =/= "People are able to".

If I said "People being able to jump over the moon would be a strange sight to behold" it wouldn't mean that I was under the belief that people are able to jump over the moon. I intentionally selected my words in this way.

Try harder.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
PROTIP: "People being able to" =/= "People are able to".

If I said "People being able to jump over the moon would be a strange sight to behold" it wouldn't mean that I was under the belief that people are able to jump over the moon. I intentionally selected my words in this way.

Try harder.

Try harder communicating what you mean to say next time. Kthx.
Original post by RK92
youre wrong to break down the statement in that way.

if youre gonna be pedantic, get it right.

Who's being pedantic? Nothing wrong about what I said. Pipe down big nose, this doesn't concern you.
Reply 15
People need to check their facts before they post or at least state that they are unsure of what they are saying.

I'm currently a second year, for both years I have received full grant but no loan.

So there you have it, you DON'T need a loan to get the grant. When signing up on student finance just click you want you account income assesed and when asked how much loan you want to take out you just put £0 in the box.

:smile:
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Of course.
They give the grant if your families income means that the maintenance loan isn't enough for you to live off because they cannot help you financially. You can't receive free money without taking the maximum that you have to pay back first.

I'm fairly sure this is the case.

They're not going to give you free money if you don't "need" the money (and if you're saying you don't need the loan, it's basically saying you don't need extra help- if that makes sense).
Original post by pink_192
People need to check their facts before they post or at least state that they are unsure of what they are saying.

I'm currently a second year, for both years I have received full grant but no loan.

So there you have it, you DON'T need a loan to get the grant. When signing up on student finance just click you want you account income assesed and when asked how much loan you want to take out you just put £0 in the box.

:smile:

I doubt this... but. If this is the case, then the system is indeed broken.
Reply 18
I chose to live at home for uni, the grant is just over £2000 for the year, I have 3 jobs that help to cover any other costs that I have. If I don't require the money of the loan as well why would I take it ? I still get the loan for fees just not maintenance.
Reply 19
Who's being pedantic? Nothing wrong about what I said. Pipe down big nose, this doesn't concern you.

yes there is. you really sound like a vile little chav, you realise? "pipe down"? is this not a public forum? or are you trying to make it sound like some sort of serious business where little ones such as myself are unwelcome? wait, no.. youre just an idiot.

the way you broke down the argument was equivalent to the following:
person A says: "on the condition that x occurs, y is true"
you say: "oh look, you said the precise words "y is true" therefore that is what you meant"

good reasoning :rolleyes:

whats worse than your patronising posts is the fact that you pathetically rose to what was a pretty dumb comment; you tried to decompose it with **** reasoning. if youre going to be pedantic, do it properly or you look like a fool (too late now). you should have ignored the dumb comment if it offended you that much because we all know they were just looking for a reaction; you just gave a piss poor reaction which is a shame.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending