The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Agreed.

Where does it state in the "knowledge of life" that partner = happiness?

Where does it state in the 'knowledge of life' that career = happiness?
Do you know what people give up in the name of "love"?

How prepared are you for the pursuit of "love"?

I wouldn't give up everything which makes me me. There is love and lust, I can lust after someone, but how could I love someone who wants to take away everything I enjoy, everything which makes me as a person?
Reply 282
Explain. :smile:

If you want something so badly you'll fight to achieve it. Nothing should stop you.
Reply 283
Of course its strangeto not want a family and children. I'll bring up evolution again. You're only here because huge numbers of generations have procreated, this is the nature of life. You are an evolutionary success, and surely you should have the same drive to continue?
Original post by T-Toe
What's with all the questions?

Don't have kids. Simple.

Why is it such a social stigma then?
Reply 285
Original post by street.lovin'
I do. I am trying to do my homework right now. Will definitely get back to this thread later if my dad doesn't tell me to go to bed XD .... I just know that my post is going to be long so I think I should save it for later.

I have a lot to say. :P

I'll be waiting...

BTW I mean't 'some people' just in case people throw the generalisation card at me.
Agreed.

Where does it state in the "knowledge of life" that partner = happiness?

Yeah, for me - if I never find a partner then I wouldn't really mind. If I do meet someone, then yeah i'd be happy but I wouldn't really prioritise it above my career given it's nature and all.
Original post by NeonSkies
I would sooner be happy with someone to share my life with than unhappy and on my own with all the material things that money from a career would buy.

It really depends on whether money and careers make you happy or not. Personally being on my own would make me want to cry all the time so a decent career wouldn't make much of a difference. Each to their own. Money of course really helps but it isn't the be all and end all!

So your ambition in life is to make money then?
Original post by KrazyKro
There isn't really an answer to this, because the question is simply wrong...(as far as I'm concerned atleast)

You have used the words 'perfect' and 'ideal', which makes these two things interdependent (for me) and they can never be distinct in that context and if you insist that they are distinct than the words 'perfect' and 'ideal' no longer apply, in which case, WTF?

Its like asking to choose between living and breathing...

They're not necessities - really.

Lots of people don't have their perfect partner/career.
Original post by NeonSkies
People have different aspirations in life. Live with it.

We're not all budding Einsteins who can go out and discover how to cure cancer or travel faster than light, there are personal things we all want to achieve in our lives which may mean nothing to some and the whole world to others.

Solving poverty is something a lot of us wish we could do but you need plenty of spare time to do so and a lot of money to make a real difference to people's lives, give them homes, feed them etc. which people in today's society are very short of.

You sound very young and immature, perhaps if/when you meet someone and have a relationship you will understand that not everything is to do with being the next Nobel Prize winner.

Who's to say life is about "meeting someone" and "having a relationship"?
Reply 290
Why is it such a social stigma then?

You don't have to conform to the social stigma :tongue:

To put it simply, it's your life, you can do want you want and no one should judge you for it.
Reply 291
Probably, yes
Original post by Harry.C
Pretty weak argument. It doesn't matter the"quality" of the lyrics, but the sentiment behind them. We're animals, and evolution dictates we want to procreate to carry on our genes, and it has also made us social. Career without family doesn't replace that.

Not the pseudo-biology. :facepalm2:
So your ambition in life is to make money then?

Get married, have children, make a comfortable life with them as a teacher if everything goes to plan.

Having a career does not necessarily mean neglecting your family/not having one at all.

People go to work primarily to earn money when it really comes down to it, the rewards you gain from doing so is a bonus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by marie1304
my ideal future has my perfect partner in it.

I.e. your ambition in life is to meet your perfect man?
Who's to say life is about "meeting someone" and "having a relationship"?

Who's to say life is "having a career" and "saving the world"?

Everyone has different aspirations, none of which are wrong and there is no need for you to be so judgemental.
Yes.

Love > Money
Original post by DanielleT192
I agree with divorce rates - they are higher than ever these days but that's people just being idiots and creates another argument all together. You have to be more broad minded. I know you are setting this unrealistic example, but I think maybe you're being ignorant towards how important love is, because evidently you are passionate about striving your highest as I have seen in your previous posts with your high expectations.

I think once you, I and others on this forum soon find someone that changes that opinion, likewise with people who find their passions, they won't be so narrow-minded in thinking that one is less important than the othe but again I agree with what you have said. You're evidently an intelligent lass with valued opinions.

Thank you. I understand that "love" is important. But why is there this belief that love is limited to one person? Or romantic love?

(PM me if you want to know why I've said this - for personal reasons).
Reply 298
In a heartbeat <3
Wow, this a tight race!

I chose my ideal future.

Anyway, I could buy as many hookers as I wanted with all the cash I would be raking in.

I could afford artificial love...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending