The Student Room Group

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewroll
Generally children have the strongest relationship with their parents. Gay parents are obviously missing something as otherwise the child wouldnt have to turn to other role models. A straight couple could raise a child on their own, gay couple need help.

You up your own much? Gay couples don't need help.
Original post by tehFrance
You up your own much? Gay couples don't need help.

I think they do. If they have a daughter and she asks them questions about periods etc, they will be able to answer her, but not as well as a mother could in my opinion.
Original post by Lewroll
I think they do. If they have a daughter and she asks them questions about periods etc, they will be able to answer her, but not as well as a mother could in my opinion.

Oh I think they could answer as well as a mother, do you know any gay dads?
Original post by Lewroll

It isn't hard to explain periods etc, why cant a gay dad do it? its not like we dont know what they are o_o

Why do I as a gay man have less of a right to have a child than a straight couple? :tongue:
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
i think its disgusting tbh

Why?
Men don't have periods. Women do. Sure, I could give you the whole biological information, but i have no idea how it feels. I couldn't reassure the child in the same way a woman could.

Oh I think they could answer as well as a mother, do you know any gay dads?

I don't know any gay dads. However I know plenty of straight dads and plenty of men, none of which would be able to adequately explain these things.

Original post by Jordenfruitbat

Why do I as a gay man have less of a right to have a child than a straight couple? :tongue:

Firstly gay couples can't 'have' a child in the same sense as a heterosexual couple (i.e. pregnancy and birth)

Straight couples are better (I'm not saying gay couples are bad, although I do think lesbian parents would be better at raising a child then gay parents. As i've said before, in other societies (especially tribal societies) the children are raised mainly by women)

A child needs to grow up in the best environment possible. I'm not saying gay couples are bad, but are they whats best for the child? Probably not.
Original post by Lewroll

It's such a minor issue though, that your comment that heterosexual couples should always be prioritised seems ridiculous. Your argument is based on personal preference. Well MY personal preference is that I'd instantly preferentially give up a daughter to a male homosexual couple who had more stable jobs, a higher household income, a good level of education etc. than a heterosexual couple lacking in these things. And if said daughter found her dads unable to answer her questions about periods very well, speaking as a teenager, it's REALLY not that major an issue compared to the other woes of teenage life. We're living in an age of easily accesible information, and there's always the Sexual Health forum on TSR if she really gets stuck (:rolleyes:)

For example, I can assure you I've never gone to my dad with any questions even remotely concerning my sexual health. So why don't we prioritise parents who are comfortable about topics of sexual health? From the perspective of gender roles, the advantages of opposite-sex parents are completely redundant if the parents are withdrawn on these topics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Your poll makes no sense whatsoever. Surely options 1 and 3 are the same thing?
Original post by innerhollow
It's such a minor issue though, that your comment that heterosexual couples should always be prioritised -. Your argument is based on personal preference. Well MY personal preference is that I'd instantly preferentially give up a daughter to a male homosexual couple who had more stable jobs, a higher household income, a good level of education etc. than a heterosexual couple lacking in these things. And if said daughter found her dads unable to answer her questions about periods, well it's really not that major an issue compared to the other woes of teenage life. THere's always the Sexual Health forum on TSR if she really gets stuck.

For example, I can assure you I've never gone to my dad with any questions even remotely concerning my sexual health. So why don't we prioritise parents who are comfortable about topics of sexual health?

I never said always. I said assuming all candidates would do a good job, heterosexual couples would still be the best option. If the straight couple are crappy they shouldn't get any child until they sort themselves out.
Original post by Lewroll
I don't know any gay dads. However I know plenty of straight dads and plenty of men, none of which would be able to adequately explain these things.

Ah your basing it on straight men not gay men, quite the flaw no? just becasue straight men cannot answer these questions doesn't automatically mean gay men can't.
Ah your basing it on straight men not gay men, quite the flaw no? just becasue straight men cannot answer these questions doesn't automatically mean gay men can't.

:facepalm:

They are all males. Just because gay people have a different sexual preference doesn't mean their brains are different in any other way.
Original post by Lewroll
Men don't have periods. Women do. Sure, I could give you the whole biological information, but i have no idea how it feels. I couldn't reassure the child in the same way a woman could.

Firstly gay couples can't 'have' a child in the same sense as a heterosexual couple (i.e. pregnancy and birth)

Straight couples are better (I'm not saying gay couples are bad, although I do think lesbian parents would be better at raising a child then gay parents. As i've said before, in other societies (especially tribal societies) the children are raised mainly by women)

A child needs to grow up in the best environment possible. I'm not saying gay couples are bad, but are they whats best for the child? Probably not.

But say what if a gay couple were better parents - More caring, better living conditions, secure jobs, more responsible

Should they still not be the one to have the child, and it goes to a straight couple who are worse?

Sexuality really doesn't matter does it really? The child is still getting the love and care it needs regardless of whether they have two dads, two mums, or a mum and dad

In all fairness, in terms of adoption, I really don't think we should see it as people having the right to adopt. Adopting is a privilege, and the interests of the children should be paramount.

Now, obviously it is in the interests of the children to let gay couples/lesbian couples/single people adopt because any family set up is better than that of an adoption home, not to mention gay parents have been proven to be equally as capable as straight couples, but I think by no means is adoption or access to a child a right as such.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lewroll
:facepalm:

They are all males. Just because gay people have a different sexual preference doesn't mean their brains are different in any other way.

From my experience gay men have handle this a lot better than straight men, they are more prepared for the question as they know that one of them will be asked, also a fair few straight single fathers are preapred for the question too and thus able to answer it better than straight men who have the mother around.

In France you'd be denied the right to any parental rights if you are gay, even if the child is your own biological child :frown:
But say what if a gay couple were better parents - More caring, better living conditions, secure jobs, more responsible

Should they still not be the one to have the child, and it goes to a straight couple who are worse?

Sexuality really doesn't matter does it really? The child is still getting the love and care it needs regardless of whether they have two dads, two mums, or a mum and dad

Yes love is the most important thing. But it isn't the only thing.
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
In all fairness, in terms of adoption, I really don't think we should see it as people having the right to adopt. Adopting is a privilege, and the interests of the children should be paramount.

Now, obviously it is in the interests of the children to let gay couples/lesbian couples/single people adopt because any family set up is better than that of an adoption home, not to mention gay parents have been proven to be equally as capable as straight couples, but I think by no means is adoption or access to a child a right as such.

Yeah I did word that wrong I would find it a priveledge if I did manage to adopt a child someday... What I meant is why should a striaght couple be chosen over a gay couple on standards of sexuality, just because there are two fathers doesn't mean that they can't bring up a child just aswell as a straight couple.
(edited 13 years ago)
From my experience gay men have handle this a lot better than straight men, they are more prepared for the question as they know that one of them will be asked, also a fair few straight single fathers are preapred for the question too and thus able to answer it better than straight men who have the mother around.

But still none of them would be as good as a woman. I'm sorry if this upsets people, but it is true (in general)
Original post by Lewroll
But still none of them would be as good as a woman. I'm sorry if this upsets people, but it is true (in general)

I'm sorry but I don't buy it for a minute.
Original post by Lewroll
I never said always. I said assuming all candidates would do a good job, heterosexual couples would still be the best option. If the straight couple are crappy they shouldn't get any child until they sort themselves out.

Well, that's not a useful assumption to make.

To be honest, if you're going to select for factors like this, it probably makes more sense to put a large emphasis on socioeconomic background and highest level of education etc. (as not every couple there will be equally affluent or well-educated) as there are proven correlations between these factors and child development, and no proven links between the respective genders of the couple and child development. You can say, "Yeah but homosexual couples just aren't as good parents" all you want. Empirical findings don't back you up, so why should we listen to you? It's easy to make random assertions.

Incidentally, gay men are statistically likely to be better both in terms of socioeconomic group and education.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending