The Student Room Group

Whats wrong with calling someone white a cracker?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's just as bad as being called a ******
Reply 61
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Wikipedia is really not a good source for ANYTHING. Anyone can write what they like on there.

It was originally used in America as a racial slur by black slaves when describing their masters.... Since then it was used to describe poor white people at some point...
But actually, both of those are about race.

well wikipedia has citations so its a lot better than what your teachers make you believe. do you have any reference to your claim? thing is, it only describes a certain class of white ppl, not white people in general. if white ppl had been slaves in africa years ago and the indigenous called the slaves something offending to separate them from everyone else, then that's an acceptable, general racial slur. indian people dont like being called pakis because they were at war with them so obv they dont like being referred as them. point is, I consider that racial slur has to apply to everyone of that race, not just a single group.
Original post by Bjoorn
well wikipedia has citations so its a lot better than what your teachers make you believe. do you have any reference to your claim? thing is, it only describes a certain class of white ppl, not white people in general. if white ppl had been slaves in africa years ago and the indigenous called the slaves something offending to separate them from everyone else, then that's an acceptable, general racial slur. indian people dont like being called pakis because they were at war with them so obv they dont like being referred as them. point is, I consider that racial slur has to apply to everyone of that race, not just a single group.

Wikipedia is a load of ****. You can't convince me otherwise.

I don't have evidence, but that's because it's just something that me (and clearly other people on here and in the world) know. My american friends know this very well, because that's where it originated.
So... it doesn't just refer to poor white people.
It IS racist.
There is a lot of racism towards white people, just as there is to other races. It's all wrong. People need to be more accepting.
Jokes among friends is fine, providing EVERYONE involved is comfortable with it.
Reply 63
Wikipedia is a load of ****. You can't convince me otherwise.

I don't have evidence, but that's because it's just something that me (and clearly other people on here and in the world) know. My american friends know this very well, because that's where it originated.
So... it doesn't just refer to poor white people.
It IS racist.
There is a lot of racism towards white people, just as there is to other races. It's all wrong. People need to be more accepting.
Jokes among friends is fine, providing EVERYONE involved is comfortable with it.

wow i know that there's racism towards white people, thats not at all what i've been saying. so ok i dont have a valid argument cos i quoted wikipedia while you quote ur friends and yourself? i'm sorry but that might well be an urban myth that has spun out, how are you going to disprove that? and if you had taken time to read the wikipeida article you would have seen for yourself that there are a lot of quotes and references, making it a lot more veritable.
and even tho it might BE racist, historically it's only racist towards poor white people
Original post by Bjoorn
wow i know that there's racism towards white people, thats not at all what i've been saying. so ok i dont have a valid argument cos i quoted wikipedia while you quote ur friends and yourself? i'm sorry but that might well be an urban myth that has spun out, how are you going to disprove that? and if you had taken time to read the wikipeida article you would have seen for yourself that there are a lot of quotes and references, making it a lot more veritable.
and even tho it might BE racist, historically it's only racist towards poor white people

It's not myself and my friends... It's like the entire American society, including people who were ALIVE then! Jesus.
It wasn't only racist towards poor white people. This is ridiculous.
But you guys are friends :erm: I always cuss my asian mates (in a racist jokey way) about being indian and they do the same to me about being black :colonhash:

I guess some people get more easily offended then others :dontknow: I don't see any wrong you did though coz you obviously didnt mean it in a racist way
Reply 66
It's not myself and my friends... It's like the entire American society, including people who were ALIVE then! Jesus.
It wasn't only racist towards poor white people. This is ridiculous.

careful with the generalisation, and might still be an urban myth. no, maybe not today, but what i've been trying to make crystal clear is that's how it originated. and i think, personally, that it makes a massive difference when it comes to classifying whether something is racist or not
Because he thinks he's black.
Original post by Teveth
Who's the woman in your sig?

Erika Elfwencrona :coma:
depends on what your mate is like
some people generally dont care
others will deck you one

one of my friends got a bit carried away
and came up to me like
'wassup my ni'gger?'
i was shocked then slowly got angry

but then he started apologising like no ones business
at the end of the day he's a nice guy.. but ppl get carried away sometimes..
did you say sorry?
Original post by Bjoorn
careful with the generalisation, and might still be an urban myth. no, maybe not today, but what i've been trying to make crystal clear is that's how it originated. and i think, personally, that it makes a massive difference when it comes to classifying whether something is racist or not

And like I've said... That IS its history.
But also, that doens't really mean its not racist even if you were right (which you're not). If it is considered AT ALL (let alone largely like this is) to be racist, then it is.
Reply 72
And like I've said... That IS its history.
But also, that doens't really mean its not racist even if you were right (which you're not). If it is considered AT ALL (let alone largely like this is) to be racist, then it is.

i just think its naive to go with the flow and say something's racist because it's considered being so. this is how historical roots are often forgotten because one idiot claims something which sets of a chain reaction. like i've said so often, for me its the origin that counts, and if you cant back your claims up historically as to WHY its racist then dont bother. back to the guy who took the offense, if he can back it up properly why he reacted like a 6 year school girl then i'll let it go
From what I've read is that the term "cracker" as the African slaves called the White slave master this, considering that the whip made a "crack" sound on their behinds; hence the reason why the term cracker was termed
I think it's just funny
Original post by Bjoorn
i just think its naive to go with the flow and say something's racist because it's considered being so. this is how historical roots are often forgotten because one idiot claims something which sets of a chain reaction. like i've said so often, for me its the origin that counts, and if you cant back your claims up historically as to WHY its racist then dont bother. back to the guy who took the offense, if he can back it up properly why he reacted like a 6 year school girl then i'll let it go

The definitions of all words are shaped by people's opinions and how people use them.
It WAS used in this sense historically.

Word's meanings change throughout time, because of how they are used and how people's PERCEPTIONS of them change. So actually, believing this term racist isn't naive, because that's how words are defined in the first place.
It is a racist term... It has been considered so for a long time, and was used like that historically anyway.
Reply 76
for all you dumb crackers : Noun. Slang word used to refer to those of European ancestry. The word is thought to have either derived from the sound of a whip being cracked by slave owners, or because crackers are generally white in color.
Reply 77
The definitions of all words are shaped by people's opinions and how people use them.
It WAS used in this sense historically.

Word's meanings change throughout time, because of how they are used and how people's PERCEPTIONS of them change. So actually, believing this term racist isn't naive, because that's how words are defined in the first place.
It is a racist term... It has been considered so for a long time, and was used like that historically anyway.

ok i'll admit you have a point there, people do have different perceptions of words and they do indeed evolve and change definitions. i just think that unless he grew up where that word bore a grudge and used commonly as such his reaction was totally unjustified. but for me personally i'd always check and see how it came about and if i saw no reason for it to be offensive to a normal person of said race then i'd find it a bit too much
Troll? If not, it's because it's offensive to call someone a racist term no matter what colour they are.
Original post by Bjoorn
ok i'll admit you have a point there, people do have different perceptions of words and they do indeed evolve and change definitions. i just think that unless he grew up where that word bore a grudge and used commonly as such his reaction was totally unjustified. but for me personally i'd always check and see how it came about and if i saw no reason for it to be offensive to a normal person of said race then i'd find it a bit too much

But just because it originated somewhere else doesn't mean it's not relevant. Language and definitions spread as well as change... It doesn't stop them being relevant. At the end of the day, it's been used in the country for that meaning too, just more recently... As it has, it makes it racist when someone uses it like that. It WAS meant as a racist slur, just jokingly, and it's up to the individual if they are comfortable with the joke or feel that it's inappropriate.

I'm gonna stop now though. I feel I've said all I want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending