The Student Room Group

Stupid biology (AQA) questions

OK, so we all know that, despite doing biology and having a textbook with precise and relevant information in it, the examiners still like to ask questions, which- let's face it- have nothing to do with biological knowledge whatsoever, or even the stuff we learn on the course. These questions are really 'take a wild guess' questions, and need luck more than anything else.

Such as this one:

Courtship and mating in fruitflies can occur equally well in the light or dark. Frutiflies which mate in the dark are much more likely to produce offspring than those which mate in the light. Suggest an explanation for this.

What would you say?

The answer is predation. Yep, despite not even having a mention in the textbook, that's the answer. How silly.

It's not the questions that ask us directly on the course that frighten me- it's the ones where you have to take a stab in the dark like this that terrify me, and everyone I suspect.
Reply 1
I'll agree with you here... Apparently according to my teacher...they are to "develop your biological knowledge, thinking and problem solving"

I just feel they are marks that anyone could gain, even if they haven't taken biology at A-level! They do my head in as well!
Reply 2
it's rediculous! i did sooo much work for biology in relation to my other subjects for jan modules and got the lowest marks. its soo bloody annoying as they make you learnb a tonne of stuff and then ask you crappy questions that have nothing to do with the stuff you have learnt! take the last paper for example, me and all my friends spent time learning the ins and outs of respiration to be presented with a question about a woodlouce and some water movement thing! i think the examiners really need to rethink the paper as people can't learn commen sense and its unfair for people who do no work to do better then those who slave away...
rant over
peace out :smile:
Biology can be rather sucky. I found doing the application questions in the nelson thornes aqa endorsed biology book are really helpful. Answers to them are in the back too so you get an idea of how to correctly word questions.
Reply 4
AQA questions are evil. That is all.
Reply 5
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
I found doing the application questions in the nelson thornes aqa endorsed biology book are really helpful. Answers to them are in the back too so you get an idea of how to correctly word questions.

do you mean this book?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-A2-Student-Book/dp/0748798137

or is it a different one?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
In Scottish Highers they do stuff like that too. But it's called Problem Solving, which is only 25% of the exam. I think the people whom make the exams get bored and enjoy asking obscure questions from time to time.

But at the end of the day, it's only like one mark you drop, right? :wink:
AQA are bloody annoying!
Original post by psychsarah
do you mean this book?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-A2-Student-Book/dp/0748798137

or is it a different one?

Yup That's it :smile:
Reply 9
AQA are pretty darn annoying with their questions, like in a topic about whether it's better to use chemical or biological control of pesticides, you might be asked about what the farmer had for this tea last night, heehee :smile:

But anyway, what I was meant to say is, YOU BE the better one who steps up and answers it right. AQA might be delusional from time to time, but have the attitude and frame of mind to be like THEIR examiner, identifying thier shortcomings... and take a step back in some questions. Think about other related stuff - A2 is 60% HSW and 40% theoretical subject knowledge - you've seen their mark schemes, and I'm pretty sure you've said at times, "Who the hell would have thought of that"???!!!

People do. YOU can, just be positive and think more positively about the exam, and think generally and logically. Give more than one answer, if you can - you will NOT be penalised if somewhere within your scribbles and scraps, you have the exact right answer there, but then, a fair wad of examiners really CBA to sift through and decipher your work, so they just null it.

Personally, I REALLY hate how when I do a question, I know what the 'answer' is, and try my best to write it down as clearly as possible... but then the mark-scheme has it there, in 4 succinct words. And then there's me.... "Ohhh!" You know, them really long, O's that people say in like, a major revelation.

But anyway, just spend as much time as you can practising, do the green questions in the NT AQA book, and I wish you the very best of luck!

Quick Reply