The Student Room Group

University Prestige Vs Good University

Hey, how much does/will the university's prestige I go to help me in my future? Basically i have an offer from Imperial College to study Electronic and Electrical Engineering of A*AA. I went to an open day there and really didn't like it, and tbh (im not racist but...) everyone was foreign and its not a place i want to spend the next 4 years of my life. I also have and offer of AAA from Southampton and really really like it. Im currently predicted A*A*A* and im on track so its not like i wont achieve it. My friends are saying that im mad to turn down Imperial for an engineering course, what do guys think?

btw the guardian rates imperial the lowest uni ive applied for:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-engineering-electronic-and-electrical-
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
then go for southampton, seems like you've already made up your mind and you're just looking for clarification.
Forget the league tables and prestige; if you don't like it, don't go there.
Original post by jimimick
Hey, how much does/will the university's prestige I go to help me in my future? Basically i have an offer from Imperial College to study Electronic and Electrical Engineering of A*AA. I went to an open day there and really didn't like it, and tbh (im not racist but...) everyone was foreign and its not a place i want to spend the next 4 years of my life. I also have and offer of AAA from Southampton and really really like it. Im currently predicted A*A*A* and im on track so its not like i wont achieve it. My friends are saying that im mad to turn down Imperial for an engineering course, what do guys think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-engineering-electronic-and-electrical-

3 of the value are related to student satisfaction. I think it's one of the worth critera for ranking uni.

But if you like Southampton, go there.
Reply 4
(I'm not racist but I hate being around people of other ethnic origins)
Reply 5
for job prospects i would choose imperial, but if you think that you wont like it there then go for southampton.. seems like youve already made up your mind anyways :smile:

good luck!

"Prestige" counts for **** all if you want to be an engineer. Go to wherever you like best.
Reply 7
If the uni has a good reputation in general for a subject then it doesn't really matter about it's ranking. Plus rankings differ between guides so a unis ranking isn't absolute, just a general indicator.

On a side not I'm going to be doing EEE aswell at either strathclyde or edinburgh. :borat:

EDIT: didn't read the part about you 'not being a racist' but not liking foriegners.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 04ghicks

I'm probably going to get negged into oblivion for pointing this out, but he said foreigners, not "people of other ethnic origins".

Anyway, OP, obviously it would be better for your career etc if you went to Imperial. So, you need to figure out exactly how much of a disadvantage the prevalence of foreign people will be for you.

Anyway, may I ask what exactly it is you don't like about there being a lot of foreign people there?
Reply 9

:P I went to the open day and couldnt pronounce ANYONE's name on the register, i wouldnt really want to feel like the outsider when im in london... the capital of England
:P I went to the open day and couldnt pronounce ANYONE's name on the register, i wouldnt really want to feel like the outsider when im in london... the capital of England

:lolwhut: You would probably learn how to pronounce their names...

But seriously? What about an Imperial Firm, Soton Insurance?
Reply 11
neh, I heard Imperial is more focused on Electrical engineering anyway, i want to have a good time at uni and i think it will be pretty **** at imperial

That's not racism.
Reply 13

I didn't say i 'hate being around other people of other ethnic origins', i have many friends from different countries but i would dislike being in a lecture of 60 and being the only English person there.

I would have no one to truly relate to.
Reply 14
It sounds like you want to firm Southampton, but I wouldn't worry about foreign people. There are quite a few foreign people where I study, and there's a more enlightening, multi-cultural atmosphere because of it. In the world of work, not everyone is a WASP, so go embrace some foreign culture :smile:
It's important to like the place and university, otherwise your grades will probably suffer.

Look at the course, the department and the opinion of current students. But don't look only for prestige, unless there is a huge difference between the two.
Reply 16
Go for Southampton if you liked it there, you need to be happy environment where you are comfortable.

You won't be the only English person they admit this academic year, i'd probably bet a lot of money on that. Even if there aren't many on your course then there will be people in your accomodation.
Reply 17
Soton has a GREAT reputation for Electronics/Computer science.
Overall it's reputation is not as strong as imperials, but it's ECS department is held in massive regards.
As another poster has said, unless there's a huge difference between the two - something like Imperial and Nottingham Trent (I don't know whether they offer engineering, but you get my point) then you shouldn't worry too much about prestige. After all, if you do go to Imperial and hate it, you won't be motivated to work and you probably won't do especially well in your degree.

It is 4 years of your life after all. Do you really want to look back on your university days and remember that it was the worst time of your life, or the best?

Go for Southampton if that's where your heart lies. :smile:
Original post by lechaton-x
:lolwhut: You would probably learn how to pronounce their names...

But seriously? What about an Imperial Firm, Soton Insurance?

Because then he can't go back on Imperial if he changes his mind, can he? And if he's set to get the grades, then he might as well not even bother putting Soton as his insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending