The Student Room Group

How am i going to afford uni?

Hi, im pretty much stressing about university fees. Earlier, i worked out it would cost me around £8,000 a year. Probably even £10,000. However, my accomodation will cost me £3777, and my loan ...well here:

If you live away from parental home
Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £4412
Tuition Fee Loan - Paid directly to your college/university £3375
Higher Education Maintenance Grant - Paid directly to you £1077

That isn't enough money? My parents can't help me out. :/ My dads wages last year april were 34,446..but now have been cut down by 5,000..so what do i do?

My parents havnt got money saved, and teh loan isn't enough? i'm just stressing, hwo do other peopel cope? :/

I've been trying to geta job since i was 16, and so far ..no success. so cna anone help me out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keep trying to get a job.
Original post by JackWoot
Keep trying to get a job.

I guess :/ I think it's my cv that si craap. Ive asked tsr mods to look at it, well put it in that forum, hopefully i'll get feedback
Reply 3
Looks like you have enough from loans and the grant to pay for accommodation and have another £1500 or so left to last for quite a while if you budget well
Plus im sure there will be loads of jobs available for students at the start of the year so you can earn extra too
Original post by jwza
Looks like you have enough from loans and the grant to pay for accommodation and have another £1500 or so left to last for quite a while if you budget well
Plus im sure there will be loads of jobs available for students at the start of the year so you can earn extra too

according to kent university's budget calculator, i'll be using about £8,00 in that year. £1,500 isn't enough for partying, concerts etc. :frown: i know i know..i shouldn't wanan spend all money on that...but, i was hoping once i got to uni, i'll have my freedom and be able to go to gigs etc (never been before due to parents!) Wow :frown:
Original post by helpnowplease
Hi, im pretty much stressing about university fees. Earlier, i worked out it would cost me around £8,000 a year. Probably even £10,000. However, my accomodation will cost me £3777, and my loan ...well here:

If you live away from parental home
Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £4412
Tuition Fee Loan - Paid directly to your college/university £3375
Higher Education Maintenance Grant - Paid directly to you £1077

That isn't enough money? My parents can't help me out. :/ My dads wages last year april were 34,446..but now have been cut down by 5,000..so what do i do?

My parents havnt got money saved, and teh loan isn't enough? i'm just stressing, hwo do other peopel cope? :/

I've been trying to geta job since i was 16, and so far ..no success. so cna anone help me out?

How can you go Uni if you can't make a sentence and spell properly?
Original post by siwelmail

i copied and pasted that from student finance website..
lol
Reply 7
according to kent university's budget calculator, i'll be using about £8,00 in that year.

I don't know how accurate university budget calculators are, or what sort of lifestyle they assume. Warwick's honestly thought I would be spending £10k a year if I went there :eek: I live quite a frugal lifestyle, so while I'm aware that accommodation, transport and food cost money, there is no way I'd be spending as much on clothing, entertainment etc as they'd predicted. Take it with a pinch of salt and think honestly about how much accommodation will cost and how much a week's food costs.

£1,500 isn't enough for partying, concerts etc. :frown: i know i know..i shouldn't wanan spend all money on that...but, i was hoping once i got to uni, i'll have my freedom and be able to go to gigs etc (never been before due to parents!) Wow :frown:

Fun fact: going to gigs is an extra and not something you need to be able to do, hence why having to get a job to be able to afford it is fair enough. You need somewhere to stay, something to eat, to be able to get around, and to have key materials for your course; anything else, really, is a luxury. It's nice to have freedom, but £1500 a year should be enough to buy food and other essentials, and you can get a job for anything more - I think they're meant to be more plentiful at uni. :smile:
according to kent university's budget calculator, i'll be using about £8,00 in that year. £1,500 isn't enough for partying, concerts etc. :frown: i know i know..i shouldn't wanan spend all money on that...but, i was hoping once i got to uni, i'll have my freedom and be able to go to gigs etc (never been before due to parents!) Wow :frown:

No offence, but why should the government pay for you to go to gigs and party?
You want to do those things, you get a job and pay for it yourself.
The government pays for your education and rent. Not your social life.
Reply 9
Original post by siwelmail

i copied and pasted that from student finance website..
lol

Haha get told! :tongue:

You still have money left over after that £800 so obviously go to less parties and less concerts!
In reailty you can afford uni but it seems you only want to go for the social side and not for the degree
Original post by kerily
I don't know how accurate university budget calculators are, or what sort of lifestyle they assume. Warwick's honestly thought I would be spending £10k a year if I went there :eek:

Yeah, Warwick's calculator is a bit over the top! I know people who survived on half that at Warwick!
Reply 11
try getting a few small jobs washing cars or babysitting or whatever.

and if you got siblings, get them to pay you to wash their clothes, do their chores and possibly homework too

and universities offer bursaries and scholarships too so look into that

plus at uni wont be going to gigs etc every single week/month and going out with friends can be cheap if they good enough that you can just chill out in a room and still have a laugh

and start practicing making packed lunches etc so that you dont spend like £2/£3 everyday on just one sandwich when you want something to eat quickly, but you just spend £5 a week for like bread, ham, cheese etc
Original post by jwza
Haha get told! :tongue:

You still have money left over after that £800 so obviously go to less parties and less concerts!
In reailty you can afford uni but it seems you only want to go for the social side and not for the degree

No. Course not! I do want a lovely law degree :smile: So i can EARN more money and become what i've always wanted to be. But, obviously, when im at uni, i would want to go to concerts! Vwcause i've never been, its just teh opportunity i have! and i wouldnt go on weekdays either, or when i have uni. obviously i'll get wrk done first! I just ..wait what about books for uni? internet? washing? omggg
Original post by screenager2004
No offence, but why should the government pay for you to go to gigs and party?
You want to do those things, you get a job and pay for it yourself.
The government pays for your education and rent. Not your social life.

Oay,okay. VERY true. I'll just save and get a job for my extra stuff then :smile:. But, getting a job is soo hard!
Oay,okay. VERY true. I'll just save and get a job for my extra stuff then :smile:. But, getting a job is soo hard!

ommmggg but life is hard.
There must be a good handful of these threads crop up every year. You will manage, if around 2 million other students can then you should be able to.
My first year at uni, I couldn't get a job and only had £2,700 to live off for the full year. I managed by not wasting my money on booze and going out. If you were really worried about managing then you'd be willing to do the same.

I have a job now, having money is lovely:smile:

You live in London and can't get a job? Come on, who are you kidding? You say your CV is crap - then do something about it, rather than just posting and waiting for someone else to do it for you. The standard of your writing and typing is shocking, so if your CV and letter are as poorly written, any employer is going to bin your CV before reading it fully. If you want a job, you are competing with others and have to show you are motivated.

You have a whole summer to earn money and then can easily get a job at university if you really want one. Everyone else manages on the loans, maintenance and by working, so will you.

People were criticising the standard of your writing, by the way, not what you had cut and pasted from the website. Bit worrying that you are hoping for a law degree and didn't realise this.
Original post by RachelWest
My first year at uni, I couldn't get a job and only had £2,700 to live off for the full year. I managed by not wasting my money on booze and going out. If you were really worried about managing then you'd be willing to do the same.

I have a job now, having money is lovely:smile:

lol... serrious? or a troll?

£2700 works out at 90 a week for a 30 week uni year, that is way more than most students I know, who get by on between £20-50... You didnt waste money on booze and going out? so what you spent it all on food... thats a lot of food...

I hope the op relises that you dont represent most students, and that £1500 is more than enough to live on for a year...

thats 500 each term, or £50 a week... if you want to go to a gig (lets say the ticket is £20) than just spend aprox. £20 on food, £10 on going out... + the gig ticket...

sorted?
Reply 19
Just try and get a job as soon as you get there.

Also, imo I find it helps if you forget about the tuition fee loan as it doesn't really make a blinding bit of difference. You don't get the money at all, it just goes straight to the University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending