The Student Room Group

Libiya no fly zone about to pass in the UN

Just heard on 10 o'cock live the UN have passed a no fly zone resolution. But bbc only says it's about to be passed. Either way it's about time, however i feel it's a little too late. I just hope this will mean it gets the rebelion rolling again, because it seems to have lost momentum.

BBC: "They suggest that if the resolution is passed, air attacks on Col Gaddafi's forces by the British and French air forces could begin within hours. It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies."

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12779628
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bit pointless now gaddafi has pretty much bombed the rebels back to the stone age....
I just hope it doesn't turn into another Iraq.

I guess if there is UN backing it won't be?
Reply 3
A bit late now isn't it?
Reply 4
Absoloutley huge news, IF it makes a difference. And only time will tell regarding that.

heres hoping the rebels can regroup and oust Gaddafi
Reply 5
Original post by meenu89
A bit late now isn't it?

Yeah it seems that way unfotunately:frown:
Better late than never. Hope planes are in by tomorrow
Reply 7
Original post by rugbyladosc
I just hope it doesn't turn into another Iraq.

I guess if there is UN backing it won't be?

Nah it's not that type of military action. It's military intervention not invasion. It's basically meant to stop gaddafi bombing his own people, and indirectly help the rebelion topple the regime.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Nah it's not that type of military action. It's military intervention not invasion. It's basically meant to stop gaddafi bombing his own people, and indirectly help the rebelion topple the regime.

Yeah thats what they said about Iraq.
Reply 9
Libya*
Just saying.
Reply 10
Yeah thats what they said about Iraq.

No it isn't. Iraq was a ground force invasion, this is not.
Reply 11
Original post by Luke0011
Libya*
Just saying.

I've been up since 5am and i only had 5 hours sleep, i think i can be forgiven.
Reply 12
Planes will be in before I wake up in the morning, and it's not just planes, I think this gives the green light to U.S warships to shell targets. Basically it seems to be pretty much everything except having troops on the ground.
Original post by Ewan
No it isn't. Iraq was a ground force invasion, this is not.

No I mean they went in under the pretense of toppling a dictatorship
Reply 14
I've been up since 5am and i only had 5 hours sleep, i think i can be forgiven.

Your fault, don't bore us with your excuses.
Reply 15
'No-fly zone' = military occupation of Libyan territory

I.e. a declaration of war.
Reply 16

Ah but this time, the americans don't seem to be taking charge and france are in on the act, and we know how they felt about iraq. So i doubt it will turn into a disaster.

Seems like we are involved now whether we like it or not. But still that means if there are air strikes, forces imposing the NFZ will have to attack right?

Though at this moment a headline is talking of possible air raids on the Libyan army within hours? Can anyone confirm this?:s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by Luke0011
Your fault, don't bore us with your excuses.

My fault? Who else was i blaming lol?

I put an i infront of the y, it was a genuine mistake. Stop being so pedantic.
Reply 19

They went in on the pretence of disarming Iraq of WMDs, toppling Saddam was the only way to do this. It didn't have anything to do with the fact he was a dictator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending