The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

On the other hand, a career won't turn around and decide it doesn't like you after all.
Reply 361
Original post by TurboCretin
Careers are taken up for purposes. Unless you're one of the lucky few who can pursue what they truly love and make a career from it, I don't think it could replace being with a perfect person.

Well said
Reply 362
Original post by DH-Biker
Put it this way, if I don't get the career; I've failed my own life. Its all I want to do. Pretty much all I think about.
I'll go for the career, and hope to find someone along the way. :colondollar:

It just love having that goal. Looking everyday at my times and seeing how I'm getting faster and faster. Watching videos back and seeing myself ride and getting better.

I just think that feeling is second to none. And until I reach the best biker in the world, I'll relish in it. :wink: Haha. :cool:

Sam Hill watch out. Unless he's flopped out of the top now, haven't been keeping up :tongue: Be the next Peaty :five:
Original post by im so academic
Thanks for that book reference. :smile:

1100 pages. Be prepared for a blast lol.
Yeah. I agree.

I believe that people should do what they prefer (career v family) and not be looked down upon for their decision.

I ask questions, because, why not? I also question those who think the same.

Well fair enough, we're on the same page but we just want the opposite things... opposite side of a coin?

You want the fantastic career and I want the family life, but we both agree that we shouldn't judge other's choices and force our opinions on others.
Original post by street.lovin'
Fighting for your dream career? And then what... work? competing with people at company? It shows you are ambitious but it doesn't mean you are going to be happy.

Relationship =/= happiness
Original post by T-Toe
To be absolutely honest with you, no.

Okay the scenario has changed, still no:

1. I'm quite selfish, achieving my dreams is the biggest self-satisfaction I could ever have.

2. I'd want to live my dreams in order for my future kids to have to best possible life. Children > Partner.

3. As long is he's not inept and he has a penis, I'll live. I'm not expecting a perfect partner.

4. Perfect partner BUT living on min wage, barely able to put food on the table and the kids will suffer? No thanks. I'm selfish but not that selfish.

Sorry but I'm being honest, shot me.

Having been in the situation where I struggled to put food on the table because I thought life with the "perfect" partner was okay and was willing to compromise for a job that was alright but never what I wanted to strive for.
It took me a while to realise that even if I did marry him I wouldn't actually be happy if I had to struggle every day. Quite frankly it is the one thing I am happy about the fact I split from him because the guy I am with now is unbelievably supportive of my career even though it means I am moving hundreds of miles away to do it. So yeah I might be selfish but with my selfishness came a guy who admired by strive for success in my career.
I would've said career every time about a year ago, when I really needed something to hold onto. My ideal career would've had me working pretty much all the time, so I would never have had time for a partner.

But then I met someone who made me notice how unhappy I was with that. I had a look at what I really wanted and a career that would make me actually happy and now I'd go with partner every time. I could still write my novels and have time to learn languages and perfect my baking and stuff.
Yep. It is 'subjective'. :smile:

Now get over the fact that some people choose love over careers. :P

I have. :confused:

Perhaps you should get over the fact that not everyone wants a bull**** family.
Reply 369
future
I voted no but to be honest not that I particularly believe in love or soul mates or any of that crap but I think that your perfect partner would be that one that would allow you and encourage to pursue your dreams no matter what they may be.
Reply 371
What's more important?

Like I said, obviously that would be the best position in life, but if you HAD to choose, what would it be?

Otherwise, don't come to this thread.

No, you are just incapable of seeing that they are not different things at all, hence, there is no point arguing with you.
Original post by tface
Sam Hill watch out. Unless he's flopped out of the top now, haven't been keeping up :tongue: Be the next Peaty :five:

Haha! No, he's still going strong. :wink: I'd LOVE to ride against him in just a casual holiday race. Not on the race scene, just meeting him in France or something. :wink:

Peaty, meh, the man's a legend. I'd love to race against him too. :wink:

I've ridden with Gee Atherton, Dan Atherton, Joe Smith, Ben Reid and even my idol Matt Hunter. Met him at Whistler, told him he got me into biking, and we shredded Whistler all day. :wink: Was awesome, man! :wink:

Still, there is massive competition. Gee and Dan ****ing rocket. Joe's quick, keeps speed in jumps and Ben has more control over his bike then many pro's I've seen. And that's just the British lot (obviously exempt from Hunter).

Then there's the rest of the World. :wink: Still...

Bring it the **** on. :wink:
Original post by NeonSkies
Well fair enough, we're on the same page but we just want the opposite things... opposite side of a coin?

You want the fantastic career and I want the family life, but we both agree that we shouldn't judge other's choices and force our opinions on others.

*five*

Yeah, and I respect your decision and you respect mine.

All I wanted from this thread is a bit of discussion to see other people's perspectives, but as well as respecting other people's decisions in life. :smile:
Relationship =/= happiness

It is more likely to be happiness than career would be. :P In my opinion, at least.

I want family, I want someone to be there for me. :P

Once you've persued your dream, you persued your dream. That's it. Nothing else comes after that. :P

You will be proud, happy that you have achieved your goals. But it's very short term to be honest. :P
Here's a funny story for you.

My girlfriend of four and a half years dumped me over Facebook (she lives across the road) because I accepted a summer job coaching football in California for eight weeks. Now, through unforseen developments, I can't go and have had to pull out. She knows this, and won't even meet me to talk.

Don't you just love irony?
*five*

Yeah, and I respect your decision and you respect mine.

All I wanted from this thread is a bit of discussion to see other people's perspectives, but as well as respecting other people's decisions in life. :smile:

Well all the power to you, it is a very interesting discussion because people are so divided over it. It's all good :smile:
I have. :confused:

Perhaps you should get over the fact that not everyone wants a bull**** family.

Choosing perfect partner =/= Bull**** Family.

Anyway, I will choose the bull**** family over my career because it's......well, my family.
It is more likely to be happiness than career would be. :P In my opinion, at least.

Where do you get that probability from?

I want family, I want someone to be there for me. :P

I don't.

Once you've persued your dream, you persued your dream. That's it. Nothing else comes after that. :P

For you may be.

You will be proud, happy that you have achieved your goals. But it's very short term to be honest. :P

Oh the irony of that statement...
Where do you get that probability from?

Err, I said 'in my opinion' .... :P

I don't.

Cool. I would love to know how you do with your life in 10 or maybe 20-30 years. :smile:

For you may be.

Nothing else comes after that. If one person's dream is to becomes an Investment Banker. Once he becomes an Investment Banker, he is an Investment Banker... and then what?

Oh the irony of that statement...

Having perfect partner, having family that I love and love me = long term happiness. :smile:

People 'will' get bored of their job no matter how much they loved it and wanted it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending