The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
I'm sorry to hear about that.

But you do know that there are people in life who do not share the same perspective as you?

Undoubtedly there are. But I can assure you, if you had your perfect partner and your perfect career and you lost the latter and not the former you would cope better than the other way round. I have no doubt as to that.

Your career won't comfort you, your passion won't look out for your best interests, your dreams don't care about you.
Original post by street.lovin'
Cool. I would love to know how you do with your life in 10 or maybe 20-30 years. :smile:

PM me.

Nothing else comes after that. If one person's dream is to becomes an Investment Banker. Once he becomes an Investment Banker, he is an Investment Banker... and then what?

Same could be said to someone who wants a family, they have a family... and then what?

People 'will' get bored of their job no matter how much they loved it and wanted it.

Not me.
Original post by gradjobplease

Original post by gradjobplease
Undoubtedly there are. But I can assure you, if you had your perfect partner and your perfect career and you lost the latter and not the former you would cope better than the other way round. I have no doubt as to that.

Your career won't comfort you, your passion won't look out for your best interests, your dreams don't care about you.

I disagree as you don't know me. :smile:
Reply 383
x.
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot of what I want to do in life isn't bound to me having a career. For example, I'd like to teach English abroad, learn another language etc so if I could do those sorts of things then I'd give up my career, as long as my partner has a successful one.

If I didn't have a comfortable life then I would not have children because I only want to have children whom I can afford to give a comfortable and enriching life to. If you're suggesting I live in poverty with my perfect partner then I'd choose my career.
i would give up everything for someone i loved... im not motivated by money at all
Reply 386
Nope, I'd pick perfect future every time. Because that means my years of hard work would have actually got me somewhere. :h:
Such an easy question. Answer is No.
Original post by adoringcarmine

Original post by adoringcarmine
i would give up everything for someone i loved... im not motivated by money at all

Ambition =/= money
Reply 389
Well, lets say for the sake or argument my perfect partner is a generous perfect human being who will always love me unconditionally, is beautiful, and a millionairess. And my dream career is a partner in Goldman Sachs. I'd chose the partner.

The partner can supplement almost any personal ambition, as the partner can be whatever you want them to be, it's your own definition of perfect. So it's a bit of a pointless question.
(edited 13 years ago)
PM me.

Same could be said to someone who wants a family, they have a family... and then what?

Not me.

hey,i am so sorry but i will discuss this with u again tomorrow. my dad just told me to have an early night cos i have been so tired recently. :frown:
well i suppose my perfect future contains my perfect partner :/
Would pick perfect career every single time.

Surprised by the poll results, would have thought ideal future > perfect partner given its TSR.
(edited 13 years ago)
Id choose my partner.
PM me.

Not me.

A family is different to a career. Once you have reached the highest point in your career, there is no furthering yourself. With a family, it will keep growing and there will always be higher points than the last, seeing your childrens first steps, watching them graduate, walking them down the aisle, seeing your grandkids. There's never any boundaries when it comes to families..
Perfect Future.

But if it meant, perfect future and no partner..Id go for my perfect partner first, then work to get a future?

Dunno....Got me thinking now :/
Reply 396
perfect career >>>>>>> perfect partner.

Simples! I would rather give up the dream of ever being in a perfect loving relationship then loose my perfect career. That matters most to me at this moment in time. Maybe my views will change, who knows.
Reply 397
If it was between my bf (who I consider to be my perfect partner) and my dreams i'd happily stay as I am, working to make ends meet in a job I don't really like all that much. I work to live, not live to work. As long as I can come home to him and we get by i'd be happy. :smile:
Original post by you7me
My perfect partner would have a lot of money
My dream is to be anything that pays a lot of money
Either way, as long as i've got money and am financially stable (with a hell of a lot of extra cash!), i dnt really care! :lol:

I see now why people call me my fathers daughter :rolleyes: :biggrin:

:dontknow:

To be honest, I'm looking for a career related to my degree that gives me the most money. If I had a rich boyfriend I would train to be a beautician (because I think that's a really cool job) but since you don't normally earn much at all I won't do it. I think many of us are driven by money without realising it.
Original post by IlexBlue
Have you ever actually been in love?

I have. In fact, it's what has led me down the path I am at now. But what I'm talking about here completely transcends it. I don't expect you to understand, because if you did, you wouldn't be asking me such a question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending