The Student Room Group

University Prestige Vs Good University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jnt
for job prospects i would choose imperial, but if you think that you wont like it there then go for southampton.. seems like youve already made up your mind anyways :smile:

good luck!

When it comes to job prospects, getting a 2:1 or a 1st from both Southampton and Imperial will set you in good stead. I'm fairly sure that the top engineers in the country don't all come from Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial.
Original post by jimimick

Original post by jimimick
Hey, how much does/will the university's prestige I go to help me in my future? Basically i have an offer from Imperial College to study Electronic and Electrical Engineering of A*AA. I went to an open day there and really didn't like it, and tbh (im not racist but...) everyone was foreign and its not a place i want to spend the next 4 years of my life. I also have and offer of AAA from Southampton and really really like it. Im currently predicted A*A*A* and im on track so its not like i wont achieve it. My friends are saying that im mad to turn down Imperial for an engineering course, what do guys think?

btw the guardian rates imperial the lowest uni ive applied for:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-engineering-electronic-and-electrical-

Either way, you're doing Engineering and it's accredited at both institutions. Go for where you feel happiest.
You'll find the foreigners will tend to stick together, and many will be less willing to mix with the british students and that is something to worry about. chinese students are notious for this, they'll talk to each other in chinese and you won't be able to befriend them or even chat because they stick to their racial group. Tbh I find it extremely rude and if I were as pc as some of the self rightous douches here, even a bit racist. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone
Do medicine its better.
Reply 24
Have a good look at which course appeals more to you. I had an offer from Imperial for mech eng and went to Southampton in the end and loved it. Jesters for the 50p pints :biggrin: Damn I miss that place
Anyway, go wherever you think you'll be more comfortable and happier. Chances are you'll do better there anyway. It's not as though you'll be passed over by all the grad schemes with a good degree from Southampton.
Obviously you're not doing the right degree though, mech eng is the way to go :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by jnt
for job prospects i would choose imperial, but if you think that you wont like it there then go for southampton.. seems like youve already made up your mind anyways :smile:

good luck!

Southampton electronic engineering is almost on a par with Imperial; I doubt it would harm job prospects at all if he wants to go into that field...
Reply 26
features of middle class subculture:
1. Future-time orientated, thus able to defer instant gratification

Can't be bothered to say the rest, what I'm trying to say is that you're a douche if you're even considering rejecting imperial, for SOTON. HA.
Would like to "big up" my chosen uni here :smile: Apparently, and independent engineering council ranked the uni as the 13th best institute for engineering in the country; whilst giving Oxford a ranking of around 67 or so. They also have some of the best teachers in the country - not surprising as they'll probably employ their own students for some courses
http://cdnedge.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/3126097.stm

Soton is also supposedly quite good for engineering
(edited 13 years ago)
You seem to have a clear preference, so go with that?
Reply 29
You say your an A* student and yet your going to make your decision on Guardian League Standings? lol.
Reply 30
Original post by nunugab
features of middle class subculture:
1. Future-time orientated, thus able to defer instant gratification

Can't be bothered to say the rest, what I'm trying to say is that you're a douche if you're even considering rejecting imperial, for SOTON. HA.

Do you know anything about engineering? There's not much difference between the two.
Reply 31
Original post by ily_em
Do you know anything about engineering? There's not much difference between the two.

So? I'd still rather go to Imperial. I find it difficult to understand people who place comfort over academics. Students in England place too much emphasis on student life & student experience than the actual academic work. The question is not 'is there a difference between ICL and Soton?' it's 'Why on earth would you decline an offer from a top, internationally respected University, which offers, imo, a better education'.
Reply 32
Original post by nunugab
So? I'd still rather go to Imperial. I find it difficult to understand people who place comfort over academics. Students in England place too much emphasis on student life & student experience than the actual academic work. The question is not 'is there a difference between ICL and Soton?' it's 'Why on earth would you decline an offer from a top, internationally respected University, which offers, imo, a better education'.

erm, that was my point. In this case there's hardly any difference in the academics (if at all), so choosing Soton does not mean they're choosing 'comfort' over anything. If it was another subject, then maybe, but not electronic engineering...
Reply 33
Original post by ily_em
erm, that was my point. In this case there's hardly any difference in the academics (if at all), so choosing Soton does not mean they're choosing 'comfort' over anything. If it was another subject, then maybe, but not electronic engineering...

Fine, apparently you know more about the course than I do, so there is no point in me continuing the discussion. Though I still maintain my opinion.
Reply 34
Original post by nunugab
Fine, apparently you know more about the course than I do, so there is no point in me continuing the discussion. Though I still maintain my opinion.

Your opinion that Southampton is loads 'worse' than Imperial academically for the subject OP has chosen? If you had no evidence on that before (based on the fact you've just told me you don't know about the courses), why would somebody suggesting a different opinion not change your mind (or at least lead you to consider another option) rather than sticking with uninformed ideas...

EDIT: Sorry I worded that craply I think, am tired. I hope you get the gist (you had an opinion based on nothing, you've been informed it's probably different to what you originally thought, yet you stick with your first opinion anyway without any further thought)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by ily_em
Your opinion that Southampton is loads 'worse' than Imperial academically for the subject OP has chosen? If you had no evidence on that before (based on the fact you've just told me you don't know about the courses), why would somebody suggesting a different opinion not change your mind (or at least lead you to consider another option) rather than sticking with uninformed ideas...

EDIT: Sorry I worded that craply I think, am tired. I hope you get the gist (you had an opinion based on nothing, you've been informed it's probably different to what you originally thought, yet you stick with your first opinion anyway without any further thought)

No. My reasoning is that even if both courses are evenly matched, I'd still go for the University which has a greater international reputation. There's a reason why ICL is among the best universities in the UK/World. And I'd never overlook that fact regardless of how marginal the differences betweent he courses were. Thus, why I said it makes no sense basing it on comfort as an ambitious student should be future time orientated and able to defer gratification or comfort. I must stress that this is merely my opinion, I respect yours and I feel we aren't getting anywhere.
Original post by nunugab
No. My reasoning is that even if both courses are evenly matched, I'd still go for the University which has a greater international reputation. There's a reason why ICL is among the best universities in the UK/World. And I'd never overlook that fact regardless of how marginal the differences betweent he courses were. Thus, why I said it makes no sense basing it on comfort as an ambitious student should be future time orientated and able to defer gratification or comfort. I must stress that this is merely my opinion, I respect yours and I feel we aren't getting anywhere.

Why should he defer instant gratification? Why isn't he being "future orientated" by choosing the university that has the better employment prospects?
Reply 37
Original post by Smack
Why should he defer instant gratification? Why isn't he being "future orientated" by choosing the university that has the better employment prospects?

I'd like a source for that claim.
Southampton all the way :biggrin:
It sounds like thats where you want to go... and it has a GREAT reputation for electrical engineering so it's not gonna put you at a real disadvantage prospects-wise anyway
Original post by nunugab
I'd like a source for that claim.

The amount of grads from each course who are in work after 6 months, from the Guardian like posted previously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending