The Student Room Group

Libiya no fly zone about to pass in the UN

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by don'tyouremember?
it's a ****ing joke. we can't police the world and we need to stop wading in to fight a losing battle - (when we don't even really have the troops.)
we're happy to sell them arms and be friends when we can get things outa them. gadaffi hasn't just turned into a psycho over night.
there are brutal regimes all over the world and there always will be.
and to make it even better the US aren't even going in at the moment... yeah just great this is.

But it's only a NFZ, there are no troops on there ground.
it's a ****ing joke. we can't police the world and we need to stop wading in to fight a losing battle - (when we don't even really have the troops.)
we're happy to sell them arms and be friends when we can get things outa them. gadaffi hasn't just turned into a psycho over night.
there are brutal regimes all over the world and there always will be.
and to make it even better the US aren't even going in at the moment... yeah just great this is.

Welcome to planet earth, you must be new here.
Well it appears unlike Iraq we have UN approval. This is a step forward indeed. Although I must admit the fact it is us and the French essentially leading this does put me at worry. The last time we led anything into Africa together it ended bad...really bad for us.
Reply 43
Original post by garethDT
This is when the real slaughter begins.

Britain and France will massacre the Libyan armed forces until they mutiny and topple Gadaffi, probably lose some British and French lives along the way, way to go Dave.

Awrite mate, i think you are getting a little ahead of yourself here. At the moment this is a UN backed resolution to stop the humanitarian crisis in libya. The have agreed that military intervention is needed to stop the libyan forces slaughtering people and hence allow the people to decide their own fate.
I realise this in some ways slightly resembles iraq. But this is a different situation and we are going in under a different cause, which is backed by the UN. And this time france is there to make sure we don't **** it up!

At least i hope they don't let us **** it up!
This is when the real slaughter begins.

Britain and France will massacre the Libyan armed forces until they mutiny and topple Gadaffi, probably lose some British and French lives along the way, way to go Dave.

So we allow Gadaffi to massacre his own people?
Reply 45
Meh, I really wouldn't be worried about British or French troops getting into trouble. Sure, they're not the military powers they used to be, but they still won't have trouble with the Libyan army :tongue: We're not putting any troops on the ground, we're basically denying any supplies that go to Gaddafi's men and taking pot shots at his soldiers from the sea and air.
Original post by AshleyT
I haven't been following so i was just asking a damn question...

If it's a no-fly zone...How can OTHER countries fly there?

I thought the Egyption government etc were killing their own people? A few years ago when there was protests in Asia i think it was...and hundreds of peaceful buddhist Monks were gunned down, nothing was done...

So that's why i was curious. What makes now so special?

Simply because we're the ones imposing the no-fly zone (for very good reason).

And I'd like to see all the dictators taken down but one at a time. This is on a very big scare compared to those horrendous incidents with a million in Benghazi who Gaddafi says of there will be 'no mercy'.
People like Gadaffi should be wiped off the face of the earth.
Reply 48
Original post by beepbeeprichie
So we allow Gadaffi to massacre his own people?

Gadaffi is one man, it's his military that are fighting the rebels. The rebels who just happen to be armed and in uniform, not quite the civilians they're made out to be.

It's Libyan on Libyan, civil war. Leave them to it.
Gadaffi is one man, it's his military that are fighting the rebels. The rebels who just happen to be armed and in uniform, not quite the civilians they're made out to be.

It's Libyan on Libyan, civil war. Leave them to it.

**** that. I will not stand by and allow innocents to be massacred (as is likely given Gadaffi's latest advances).
Reply 50
Original post by KCosmo
Meh, I really wouldn't be worried about British or French troops getting into trouble. Sure, they're not the military powers they used to be, but they still won't have trouble with the Libyan army :tongue: We're not putting any troops on the ground, we're basically denying any supplies that go to Gaddafi's men and taking pot shots at his soldiers from the sea and air.

The Libyan armed forces have up to date military technology, we sold it to them! They have missiles, ships, planes and air defences, and they're not going to just let a foreign country attack them without retaliation.

This will be more like the Fawklands than Iraq.
Original post by bigmo7
But it's only a NFZ, there are no troops on there ground.

yes, that's how it starts... you really think we'll just leave?
Reply 52
Original post by beepbeeprichie
**** that. I will not stand by and allow innocents to be massacred (as is likely given Gadaffi's latest advances).

We stand by and let it happen in other countries, it's happening in Bahrain right now but we do nothing because Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are oil-friendly.
Reply 53
The Libyan armed forces have up to date military technology, we sold it to them! They have missiles, ships, planes and air defences, and they're not going to just let a foreign country attack them without retaliation.

This will be more like the Fawklands than Iraq.

Lol yes they have some new tech and up to date weapons, but i think you'll find compared to the might of the uk, france and the us, it's like trying to fight a tank with sticks and stones.
I thought that a no fly zone just entitled them to shoot down planes didnt know they were allowed to bomb targets can someone explain this. Still really pleasing news imo.
Original post by ForGreatJustice
Welcome to planet earth, you must be new here.

no, i'm just realistic.

i could write a list as long as my arm of injustice in this world. lets just wade in on every country, eh?

it won't work. and we'll just end up with unnecessary blood-shed. shame on david cameron for being such a moron.. and even more shame on the bloody UN.

The US staying out of it.. ironically, the only country who could probably do anything worthwhile. the whole thing is ridiculous.

people are ****ing deluded if they agree with this... that's all i can say.
Reply 56
no, i'm just realistic.

i could write a list as long as my arm of injustice in this world. lets just wade in on every country, eh?

it won't work. and we'll just end up with unnecessary blood-shed. shame on david cameron for being such a moron.. and even more shame on the bloody UN.

The US staying out of it.. ironically, the only country who could probably do anything worthwhile. the whole thing is ridiculous.

Wow so you know better than all the diplomats in the un, all the politicians backing this in france, uk, us, arab countries etc... All the british military generals and senior officers planning it?
We stand by and let it happen in other countries, it's happening in Bahrain right now but we do nothing because Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are oil-friendly.

I agree wholeheartedly but this isn't a reason against getting rid of Gadaffi but an argument for getting rid of those *****.
no, i'm just realistic.

It's not about the blood shed, ultimately. It's about a stable north africa. That's why everyone turned a blind eye to Gadaffi's craziness, because everything was stable.

It's fairly clear now stability cannot remain with Gadaffi in place, so he must be removed. Not directly, of course, but just a little pressure with some bombs.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Wow so you know better than all the diplomats in the un, all the politicians backing this in france, uk, us, arab countries etc... All the british military generals and senior officers planning it?

not just me.. loads of people share my view. and yes, we do.
we need to choose our battles carefully. and this isn't one we can win or really have much impact on. we should just stay the hell away. we're already spreading ourselves too thin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending