The Student Room Group

Libiya no fly zone about to pass in the UN

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student2806
No, I just wish they wouldn't call it a no fly zone, when it's anything but. We're going to bomb the crap out of Gaddafi's forces and they might as well just say that.

Good stuff.
Reply 81
Original post by don'tyouremember?
yes, that's how it starts... you really think we'll just leave?

Yeah, there's no point speculating just yet.
Original post by garethDT
Let's forget all this PR crap.

We are at war with yet another oil rich country because it wouldn't conform to neo-colonialism.

Libya is not particularly oil-rich - the amount of oil it produces was so small that the drop in production was covered by Venezuela and Saudi Arabia increasing their outputs by the tiniest margins.

Cut out the leftist bull, we are at war because it is one of the few occasions where it is definitely the right thing to do.
Original post by Will Lucky
Well it appears unlike Iraq we have UN approval. This is a step forward indeed. Although I must admit the fact it is us and the French essentially leading this does put me at worry. The last time we led anything into Africa together it ended bad...really bad for us.

Sierra Leone? That was only us, it was a peacekeeping intervention to save lives, and it was an incredible success. Our history in Africa isn't all bad.
Original post by garethDT
Libya is a rich country with a well equipped army. I think we are gambling on there being a mutiny and a subsequent coup to topple Gadaffi, otherwise we're in for a very bloody war.

This is the funniest thing I've heard all week, even from you (you always spout such entertaining and predictable drivel)

Of Gaddafi's 2000 tanks, some 200, maximum, are estimated to be battle ready.
None of Gaddafi's fighter jets were built before 1980.
The Libyan navy consists of a few corvettes against an entire US carrier battle group and the British, French and Italian fleets.

He's going to get steamrolled.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 85
Cameron was right to prepare for every eventuality in the end it seems despite all the whining from certain sections.

This is one of the occasions where I believe war is justified, what Gadaffi is doing to his people is inhumane and the West cannot idly stand by and let him get away with it while he butchers his own citizens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Good, can you imagine if he took it all back as the West floundered? I doubt it'll be another Iraq (as seems to be the main fear).
Reply 87
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
This is the funniest thing I've heard all week, even from you (you always spout such entertaining and predictable drivel)

Of Gaddafi's 2000 tanks, some 200, maximum, are estimated to be battle ready.
None of Gaddafi's fighter jets were built before 1980.
The Libyan navy consists of a few corvettes against an entire US carrier battle group and the British, French and Italian fleets.

He's going to get steamrolled.

The thought of most navies against a US carrier group just makes me laugh
It worked.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Sierra Leone? That was only us, it was a peacekeeping intervention to save lives, and it was an incredible success. Our history in Africa isn't all bad.

Ahh, I was thinking more Suez :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending