The Student Room Group

Bruised coccyx

I managed to fall after slipping on ice, today. See this?

Exactly the same thing happened to me, which, I have to admit, was probably quite funny to see, but I landed on my bum, and it hurts like hell. I fell on my coccyx, but was able to stand up and walk (although slowly) up the stairs and in my room. Sitting is really quite painful, and there's a dull pain that's going up my spine (probably due to the shock).

I don't think it's broken, although it's really not something I can say without an x-ray, I guess, but I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else, and, in the case I've only just bruised the bone (probably more likely), how would the pain evolve? I don't plan on seeing a doctor just now, simply because I'm in Russia, that seeing a doctor is worse than waiting in A&E, that I have enough trouble ordering food as it is, and I'd have to deal with my insurance, which is a hassle. I was considering going after a couple of days if the pain hasn't gone, would it be really irresponsible to not go now, or is it better to assess how the pain evolves and see whether I really need to see a doctor (and if they'd waste my time by telling me to take painkillers and wait for it to heal?)
Reply 1
ive done this a few times (i am very clumsy) and with me it hurt like an absolute bitch for about 3 hours, i physically couldn't walk, any movement of my pelvis absolutely killed me. a real horrible dull pain.
if you bruise it, it really really hurts i promise you, but i seemed to repair in about a day and a half, within a week i didn't even know i'd done it.
my dad said (though i dont know if this is true, google will no doubt tell you) that if you do break it, the doctors dont do anything (similar to breaking your toe). honestly, i'd say you have probably just bruised it, but if it still hurts enough to be causing you worry and the pain doesn't subside, you should probably go get it checked out.
Reply 2
Haha he said coccyx!
Reply 3
I did this.. Overshot the vaulting horse in PE and went down hard :redface:
I got to sit on a beanbag during assembly though. Win.

It hurt to walk for the rest of the day, and sitting down for the next day as well. Didn't go to the doctor and it was fine after though. Get well soon :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by Liam 09
Haha he said coccyx!

*She, thank you very much.

Original post by poison.
ive done this a few times (i am very clumsy) and with me it hurt like an absolute bitch for about 3 hours, i physically couldn't walk, any movement of my pelvis absolutely killed me. a real horrible dull pain.
if you bruise it, it really really hurts i promise you, but i seemed to repair in about a day and a half, within a week i didn't even know i'd done it.
my dad said (though i dont know if this is true, google will no doubt tell you) that if you do break it, the doctors dont do anything (similar to breaking your toe). honestly, i'd say you have probably just bruised it, but if it still hurts enough to be causing you worry and the pain doesn't subside, you should probably go get it checked out.

Yeah, I heard that as well, and given how lazy Russians can be at times, I have almost no doubt it'd be the same with doctors, and that I probably wouldn't end up with anything else other than painkillers (already have them :p:). It's been hurting for more than 3h, but I'm pretty sure it's just the shock, I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Cheers for the answer though, I'm hoping it'll disappear soon!

Original post by Etoiliege
I did this.. Overshot the vaulting horse in PE and went down hard :redface:
I got to sit on a beanbag during assembly though. Win.

It hurt to walk for the rest of the day, and sitting down for the next day as well. Didn't go to the doctor and it was fine after though. Get well soon :smile: x

Hah, I wish there were beanbags at uni, but all I have waiting for me is a silly rock-hard chair! I'm considering bringing my pillow, though :ninja:.
I dont meant to kill the mood, but seriously whats coccyx?
Reply 6
Original post by ithoughtofthis
I dont meant to kill the mood, but seriously whats coccyx?

You clearly didn't think that Google still existed.
Reply 7
Original post by Anatheme

Exactly the same thing happened to me, which, I have to admit, was probably quite funny to see, but I landed on my bum, and it hurts like hell. I fell on my coccyx, but was able to stand up and walk (although slowly) up the stairs and in my room. Sitting is really quite painful, and there's a dull pain that's going up my spine (probably due to the shock).

I don't think it's broken, although it's really not something I can say without an x-ray, I guess, but I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else, and, in the case I've only just bruised the bone (probably more likely), how would the pain evolve? I don't plan on seeing a doctor just now, simply because I'm in Russia, that seeing a doctor is worse than waiting in A&E, that I have enough trouble ordering food as it is, and I'd have to deal with my insurance, which is a hassle. I was considering going after a couple of days if the pain hasn't gone, would it be really irresponsible to not go now, or is it better to assess how the pain evolves and see whether I really need to see a doctor (and if they'd waste my time by telling me to take painkillers and wait for it to heal?)

Yesteaday I also fell down at Russia. I walked with my york-terrier and not to land on him I had to land on hand-palm. Btw, he also fell on the ice near me and cried loudly, he was scared. Anyway, he is all right and I'm all right, I have little pain in left hand carpus, and somehow a little pain in neck. This ice occured to be near half-opened collector. When I with my dog went back he stood on the ice again and fell again. But the difference that dogs have four legs instead of two which human has, and if you are for example york-puppy, your legs are short enough not to fell without serious reason. So now I prefer to go through dirty land near collector than over clean but ice road.
I fell many times in my life btw, and I had to visit doctor only once, when I couldn't stand on one of my legs without pain, so my classmaters had to help me with their shoulders delivering me to the ambulance car. In four months my leg was all right and I could finally walk without a crutch. Btw I didn't stay at hospital even for a day, Russian doctors said that it was just a tension.
I got coccydynia for 3 months once, when I had to break really suddenly on my bike after a car pulled out in front of me.

My doctor prescribed me a liquid pain killer (orange flavour, though tasted nothing like it), and I spent a third of Year 9 being in agony when I stood up from sitting in a chair (only when I got up though, not when I was going to sit).

Go to the doctor.
Reply 9

I imagine it's absolutely fine. It'll probably hurt because of the bruise, but there'll probably be absolutely no damage to the bone itself. I honestly wouldn't worry too much at the moment, if it doesn't go away or gets worse it may be good to see a doctor, but I imagine you'll just be in pain for a couple of days and you'll have trouble sitting/lying down.
Reply 10
Original post by Jessaay!
I imagine it's absolutely fine. It'll probably hurt because of the bruise, but there'll probably be absolutely no damage to the bone itself. I honestly wouldn't worry too much at the moment, if it doesn't go away or gets worse it may be good to see a doctor, but I imagine you'll just be in pain for a couple of days and you'll have trouble sitting/lying down.

The pain's moved to the bottom of my back, although my bum's still a bit sore :p:. What's worrying is that my arm started tingling… I'll wait to see if it's gone by tomorrow, and will definitely head to a hospital if not. :holmes:
Reply 11
The pain's moved to the bottom of my back, although my bum's still a bit sore :p:. What's worrying is that my arm started tingling… I'll wait to see if it's gone by tomorrow, and will definitely head to a hospital if not. :holmes:

I'm not sure if the tingling is too surprising or not, but I would head to the hospital if it's no better.

Where is the tingling?
Reply 12

hi, i fell on my coccyx a few months ago. it took along time for the pain to go - i went to a + e because when it happend i coudnt feel my arms and legs, but that went away quickly.

but the doctor at the hosp said brusing can really really hurt but sent me for an xray but the xray persen woudlnt do it becuase its a really high amount of radiation on a girls ovarys - so please be carefull of that if they say to have an xray. she said she was unhappy to xray it as even if it was broken there woud be nothing they coud do for it.

so be carefull :smile: hope it feels better soon x
I did that before when I was ice skating, it hurt like hell for a day and I could hardly walk but the pain started to go after a few days so don't worry, you will just have bruised it I reckon!
Reply 14
Original post by Jessaay!
I'm not sure if the tingling is too surprising or not, but I would head to the hospital if it's no better.

Where is the tingling?

My hand only, from my wrist, and just when I stretch my arm, otherwise it's fine.

I did, I just didnt think of using it!
Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending