The Student Room Group

Should you always tell someone you like them even if...

you're basically 100% sure they don't like you back? Should you just do it for closure's sake and then move on? Or just move on straightaway and cut contact without saying anything? I'm having a bad case of unrequited love here (the other person doesn't know..i don't think so anyway)

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

I would tell them personally... Imo, life is too short for regrets and if you tell them you wont wonder 'what if?' for the rest of your life! :smile:
Reply 2
Um. I wouldn't necessarily tell them "I like you". I'd feel about 12, but I'd make it pretty obvious, and then if they're not reciprocating, leave it. Don't want to end up looking a mug.
As above.

But you may need closure just to ensure that you don't hang on.

Plus you could be surprised.. You never know (here's hoping!)
Reply 4
how do you know they don't like you back?
why would you tell if you know they actually dont?
Reply 6
Original post by hanaalou
how do you know they don't like you back?

Because he calls me his little sister

What would you do?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

What would you do?

ohhhh. well yeah that probably means he sees you as a friend :/ just try a little bit of flirting and touchyfeely but don't dive straight in and be all over him because you don't want to ruin the friendship :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by hanaalou
ohhhh. well yeah that probably means he sees you as a friend :/ just try a little bit of flirting and touchyfeely but don't dive straight in and be all over him because you don't want to ruin the friendship :smile:

Well we've been friends for years now, it's kinda past that stage where I would even try those things lol. But thanks for your advice.
Reply 9
Persoanlly, I don't tell a guy if I like him.

I've liked two guys quite seriously before. I've told neither of them how I feel. I still like one of them and have done for well over a year. I'm not planning on ever telling him.
Reply 10
Well we've been friends for years now, it's kinda past that stage where I would even try those things lol. But thanks for your advice.

ohhh. if you like really like him just own up!what's the worst that could happen :smile:
and if it's awkward you could always pretend you were drunk :wink:
Reply 11
I've gone through this, and to this day still wish I'd told him.
you're basically 100% sure they don't like you back? Should you just do it for closure's sake and then move on? Or just move on straightaway and cut contact without saying anything? I'm having a bad case of unrequited love here (the other person doesn't know..i don't think so anyway)

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. I don't know what to do.

In my experience, and theoretically speaking, yes.

Because how would you know? What if you were wrong?

Only way to find out if you're right: ask.

OP: add a poll.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Um. I wouldn't necessarily tell them "I like you". I'd feel about 12, but I'd make it pretty obvious, and then if they're not reciprocating, leave it. Don't want to end up looking a mug.

Really depends.

Many guys reject girls, only to marry them later! :lolwut:

But, chances are is to leave it - but you still never know.

There are numerous reasons as to why he said "no" the first time around even though he's still desperate to be with you.
I used to get my friends to slip a 'discreet' word to them about it, and then i'd be sure if they definitely didn't like me, or if there was a possibility of something. If it was a definite no, then i'd stay away, if there was a possibility i would probably say something to them.
or do it drunk. always a good option :wink:
Original post by QI Elf

I've liked two guys quite seriously before. I've told neither of them how I feel. I still like one of them and have done for well over a year. I'm not planning on ever telling him.

And what if in his mind he likes you?

You know what, it is seriously your loss.
Reply 16
Original post by QI Elf

Why not? Is it fear of losing friendship? Because I really fear that. I feel like the only way for me to move on is if I stop being friends with him...but that thought is actually killing me inside. KILLING ME. That's why I don't know what I should do.
Original post by im so academic
Really depends.

Many guys reject girls, only to marry them later! :lolwut:

But, chances are is to leave it - but you still never know.

There are numerous reasons as to why he said "no" the first time around even though he's still desperate to be with you.

Proof or it never happened.
Reply 18

What would you do?

It may be just an epithet. Men are generally more open to turning friendships into relationships; given no other options, they see it as nothing more than value-addition.
If I liked someone and knew they didn't like me for sure I wouldn't tell them, I'd probably stop liking them if I knew they didn't like me and find someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending