The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
im pretty sure I am going to put Henry Price because I really want to be on or very near campus lol I dont particularly mind sharing a bathroom with just one person, its better than sharing with 2/3 at home :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by RJW193
how long after you guys firmed leeds did you get the Leeds ID thing that lets you sort out your accommodation? :smile:

Your UCAS ID should work fine - you don't need your Leeds student ID. If it's not working for you at the moment, you may need to wait a couple of days after you've firmed with UCAS. Basically, your decision will have to load into the UCAS system then into the Leeds student system then into the accommodation system and all of those downloads take place overnight. So I'd say 3 nights minimum (more if UCAS actually do something rather than it being automatic). If its still not working, ring up and someone will sort it out for you.
Original post by Whistle
Thanks for the reply. Some people are saying that the food at the Refectory is poor, is it possible to find out what is served there. I dont eat breakfast so do I get a daily allowance to use then or what happens?

This should answer your questions http://www.leeds.ac.uk/catering/mealplan.htm

I don't think the food in the Refectory is poor at all and I haven't heard anyone say that. There's loads of choice and I'd be surprised if people can't find something they like.
Reply 103
Original post by accomoffice
This should answer your questions http://www.leeds.ac.uk/catering/mealplan.htm

I don't think the food in the Refectory is poor at all and I haven't heard anyone say that. There's loads of choice and I'd be surprised if people can't find something they like.

Thanks for the link, useful!
I'm not sure I'd call any of our halls random :tongue:
If you didn't get a place in your preferred hall, we would look at what you'd put as your important features and try and match those as closely as we could. So hopefully, it would be somewhere that met at least some of your criteria.

Haha yeah obviously there not random :P
But i reaaally want to be at either James Baillie The Tannery! How does the accommodation people decide who gets a room and who doesnt? Is there many people who dont get thier first choice?
Sorry for all the questions! :smile:
Reply 105
Your UCAS ID should work fine - you don't need your Leeds student ID. If it's not working for you at the moment, you may need to wait a couple of days after you've firmed with UCAS. Basically, your decision will have to load into the UCAS system then into the Leeds student system then into the accommodation system and all of those downloads take place overnight. So I'd say 3 nights minimum (more if UCAS actually do something rather than it being automatic). If its still not working, ring up and someone will sort it out for you.

ah thank you very much, it works now, was getting worried it hadn't gone through on UCAS
Reply 106
And there still is.

I'll usually only chip in if nobody else can answer a question or if someone says something that isn't right. :smile:

But you're absolutely correct about allocations. It's not first come first served; when we allocate the unconditional students, we set aside a proportion of all the accommodation (so if 25% of people are unconditional, we allocate 25% of the places at Dev, 25% at Bodington etc etc, leaving the remaining 75% for the 75% of people who are waiting for results). So everyone should have the same chance - if you don't get the place you want, it will usually be because too many other people want it as well.

Feel free to ask questions, anyone.

Hi accomoffice, I am an international student planning to choose an ensuite room at Charles Morries. Is Charles Morries popular among internationals? Are international students allowed to have accommodation until the whole course is finished? Does the rent include cleaning inside the room and the private bathroom? Thanks.
Reply 107
Silly question: I'm applying to student finance, how will I be able pay for my accommodation?

Edit - No one ever answers... :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn
No worries :biggrin:

- no mirrors in the rooms: just in the bathroom unfortunately! got mine for a fiver from wilkinsons tho! :smile:
- shower in the bathroom
- big noticeboard in each room
- ironing board, iron, vacuum cleaner, mop, mopbucket, brush, dustpan and brush provided!
- yes you leave your stuff here over holidays :smile:
- i've got mine hung up on my pin board.. but i have a clock on the wall with a nail! on my first day my mum asked the site manager was this okay and he said yeah! don't quote me on this though, better off asking when you get there :smile:

feel free to ask anything else you wanna know!
i'm a bored student not wanting to write essays haha :p:

Thanks, you're brilliant :biggrin:

Can you hang your mirror up or do you just have to balance it on the desk etc?
Original post by USG
Hi accomoffice, I am an international student planning to choose an ensuite room at Charles Morries. Is Charles Morries popular among internationals? Are international students allowed to have accommodation until the whole course is finished? Does the rent include cleaning inside the room and the private bathroom? Thanks.

Hi!
Yes, there are a number of international students at Charles Morris. Assuming you're an undergraduate paying fees at the international rate, you're guaranteed accommodation for the length of your course, but you will have to fill in an application form each year (normally in February/March)
And no, your room and bathroom don't get cleaned, I'm afraid you have to do it yourself (or employ a cleaner)
Original post by T-Toe
Silly question: I'm applying to student finance, how will I be able pay for my accommodation?

Edit - No one ever answers... :frown:

Student Finance will assess you and give you £x and out of that amount, you will need to pay your rent and your living expenses. So you need to work out how much you'll be getting, include any contribution from parents etc. and then work out how much rent you can afford, whilst leaving yourself enough money to live on.
I imagine there'll be some sort of ready reckoner type thing on the student finance website so you can work out how much you should be getting.
Was that what you were asking?
Reply 111
hey guys, ill be doing my master at LUBS, and now i am looking for the accommodation which is 10-20 minuts walks to the business school, i want ensuite and self caterd , how about Leodis ? any ideas? thanks you guys in advance =)
Original post by Bella Occhi
Thanks, you're brilliant :biggrin:

Can you hang your mirror up or do you just have to balance it on the desk etc?

It's no problem - I just think if I'd have had someone like me to talk to last year it would have made moving in so much easier! :smile:

Have to balance it on the desk, but like I said with the clock - ask when you move in can you use a nail :smile: I've got the smallest room so if you have the biggest room (number 1) you'll have plenty of room for a mirror on the wall!

It'd be funny if you got my flat :p:
Not sure if i want to go to newcastle or leeds...
Reply 114
Anybody know anything more about the following?

James Baillie
Clarence Dock
Devonshire Hall
Henry Price
Leodis

and then I also really like the look of Sentinel Towers, but the accomodation website says its mostly international, postgrad and students looking for a quieter environment and this has put me right off it :frown: Does anyone know how much this is true and how quiet it is? Other than that one sentence it looks ace :biggrin:
Reply 115
What's a nice but fairly cheap self-catered accomdation?
Reply 116
Original post by emilymay

James Baillie
Clarence Dock
Devonshire Hall
Henry Price
Leodis

and then I also really like the look of Sentinel Towers, but the accomodation website says its mostly international, postgrad and students looking for a quieter environment and this has put me right off it :frown: Does anyone know how much this is true and how quiet it is? Other than that one sentence it looks ace :biggrin:

oh yours are pretty much the same as mine other than Clarence Dock, i'm looking round them next week so i might be able to tell you more then if you're not going to the accomm open day aswell
Reply 117
Currently looking at Leodis and James Bailie, final two, Clarence doc looks a bit far
Reply 118
Original post by emilymay

James Baillie
Clarence Dock
Devonshire Hall
Henry Price
Leodis

Same here, was really interested till i saw that, Clarence doc seems far
whats the best ensuite self catered accommodation for a dental student??

Latest