The Student Room Group

I just saw a woman die

Anon or delete. Cheers.

I don't really know how to write or say this without rambling because I'm a bit messed up atm. Just bear with me for a little while. I was walking an hour ago to Sainsbury's to pick up some snacks when I saw a small black lady on the floor laying face down in a bus lane. I stopped, thinking it was a little fellow from the local comprehensive because she was wearing all-black with a white collar. Anyone who lives in London will know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I froze and some men started running to her body. They tried wake her, put an umbrella over and other things like shouting at the driver. She didn't move at all. It was just so horrible seeing her lifeless especially because she's so tiny and innocent looking to me. IDK, she reminds me of my own mother and my own mortality. It's tearing me up thinking that she woke up this morning not knowing that it would be her last day. Knowing that her children will be called by the police or hospital soon.

Even worse is that I didn't call the ambulance straight away like I should have because I was in shock. Now I feel disgusted with myself and sort of nauseous. I just stood there like a ****ing nonce. They came five minutes after but it was too late I think. She might have had that one critical time window and I blew it for her.

Is it unhealthy that I feel like this as a stranger for a stranger? Should I 'woman' up?

PS: Please look before you cross. Not joking.

Scroll to see replies

If its your first experiance of death then it can come as a shock. Tbh however theres nothing you can do, your going to die, we are all going to die and the vast majority do not know where or when, it was that ladies time - someday in the future it will be yours.

Give yourself time OP, you've had a shock youre wondering where to go, your brain is adjusting but it will get there. don dwell on it
You woke up this morning not realising that you would happen to be in the same place at the same time as the woman. That's the way life goes.
Don't blame yourself, I bet a large majority of people would have reacted the same. Death or serious injury can be a shocking thing. If you take anything from this, just hope that if you were in this situation in future you can react sooner.
Reply 4
Original post by silverbolt
If its your first experiance of death then it can come as a shock. Tbh however theres nothing you can do, your going to die, we are all going to die and the vast majority do not know where or when, it was that ladies time - someday in the future it will be yours.

Give yourself time OP, you've had a shock youre wondering where to go, your brain is adjusting but it will get there. don dwell on it

So it's normal to react like this? I'm not being an emo? It's probably just sticking with me because it was barely a street away from my primary school and I cross the road recklessly. Gives me the feeling that it could have easily been me. :s
She got hit by the bus??:frown: that's so sad. accidents happen don't blame yourself for it a lot of people would be shocked at the sight and wouldn't know what to do but freeze.
Original post by Anonymous
So it's normal to react like this? I'm not being an emo? It's probably just sticking with me because it was barely a street away from my primary school and I cross the road recklessly. Gives me the feeling that it could have easily been me. :s

If people were afraid of death all the time then no-one would ever leave the house. If she got hit by a car then if you take anything from this make sure you look before you cross, but you can't blame yourself for "not taking the window". You were shocked, it's perfectly natural to act the way you did, you cannot fault yourself for not calling the ambulance sooner :smile:
Reply 7
Things like this make you realise how fragile we all are...
Reply 8
It's not your fault, you didn't know what had happened.
If you'd had known she was injured/dying then you would have called the ambulance.
Don't blame yourself, it'll be okay.
Reply 9
Life is extremely fragile, yeah - unfortunately that's one of those facts that everyone has to get to grips with sooner or later. You just have to deal with it, I'm afraid.
Reply 10
Original post by T-Toe
Things like this make you realise how fragile we all are...

Exactly. She had her shopping just bought and everything. I guess I should chalk this one up as a life lesson.

Thanks to everyone that's replied. I feel a bit better now. :hugs:
Reply 11
I've seen two people die; its something you think about for like a week, and then you realise how the Soldiers deal with it. :dontknow:

Honestly, this stuff happens. You'll get over it.
Yeah, it is a shame. And I saw two people die in a really, really horrific way; but still however disgusting, you do just forget about it.
Uh.. you describe yourself as being like a nonce.. do you realise that is a word used for paedophile??

Totally irrelevant to your post but probably something you should know!

Many people would freeze up, it would seem unreal to them and rather shocking. Don't cut yourself up over it, because if you're ever in a similar position again it might just help you save someone.
Very sad - I think it'd be a pretty heartless person that wasn't completely shaken up. Don't be too hard on yourself either, it's very unlikely that the ambulance turning up quicker would have made a difference and we all react oddly when we're in shock. Hope you feel better, poor lady.
Reply 14
I doubt whether the ambulance got there a few minutes earlier wouldve made any difference. of course you're right to be shook up!!what a horrible thing to witness.hope you're okay x
I can only imagine how much of a shock that must have been. And you weren't abnormal in your reaction. Death is such an extreme issue that is so difficult to deal with in a rational way. We all blame ourselves, and think 'what if?'. It comes as such a shock to be reminded of how fragile life is.
But you will get over it, in a short time. Sometimes it's better to feel like that rather than feeling nothing about such a situation.

Poor woman. :|
Original post by Sizzle
You basically signed her death warrant by not phoning straight away.

That's just not funny, nor is it appropriate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I saw the aftermath of a police chase, two teenagers had crashed into a tree literally seconds before I drove by. One of them was on the dashboard with his head hanging out of a smashed windscreen, turns out the car was stole, which is why the police were on the scene so quickly as they were giving pursuit.

I won't ever forget that image of the young man though.
Is this the related story? or is this something completely different?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12781806
Reply 19
Well my guess is she was dead already when you saw her. Anyway i'm guessing whoever called the ambulance called it right away and seen as 5 minutes is the government target for ambulances arriving I don't see how you could have messed up.

I saw that show about motorbike ambulances...they take about 3 minutes to get to scenes even on some really short journeys so a normal ambulance taking 5 minutes is quick.

Think about it if somebody else called straight away it makes no difference if you didn't call.

Hope this makes some sense...probably won't because i've been awake a very long time
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending