The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
haha too true. ask 10 random uni students on non-vocational courses (not law, engineering, nursing, medicine etc - the general open ended ones like BA Business or History or Politics or Media Art) what they want to do when they are finished, and 90% will respond - i dunno i havent really though about it. i'll see where it goes. then if they get lucky they work in an office. if they dont, they work in a shop.

What's the point of going university to just work in an office/shop?

(I believe university is for the pursuit of an education, not as a means to a job).
Original post by im so academic
What's the point of going university to just work in an office/shop?

(I believe university is for the pursuit of an education, not as a means to a job).

University makes people more employable, which, at the end of the day, is why the majority of people go. Of course university is a means to a job.
Original post by Smelly Ellie

University makes people more employable, which, at the end of the day, is why the majority of people go. Of course university is a means to a job.

It shouldn't be, primarily speaking.

Anyways, we're going off-topic, so no more discussion on that.
It shouldn't be, primarily speaking.

Anyways, we're going off-topic, so no more discussion on that.

Why shouldn't it be? And this is entirely on-topic (future aspirations)...

Why shouldn't it be? And this is entirely on-topic (future aspirations)...

Were universities set up to make people get jobs? No, they were institutes of learning. Now it is not the case for the majority of universities. Which is depressing.
Were universities set up to make people get jobs? No, they were institutes of learning. Now it is not the case for the majority of universities. Which is depressing.

But the use of institutes of learning is to teach people skills... e.g research, teaching, medicine... which make people better at certain jobs!
Reply 526
LOL. Hell no. Not in a million years.

But the use of institutes of learning is to teach people skills... e.g research, teaching, medicine... which make people better at certain jobs!

Education first, "jobs" second.
Reply 528
Hypothetically, what if you couldn't?

Well, it's close to not being hypothetical: if I don't join the Army by a certain age, I won't ever be able to join.

So, say that I had to decide in the next week either to break up with her or never have my dream career.
It would be a horrible week, to be honest... I'd talk to my friends, talk to my Dad (who wen't through a similar decision at my age, now that I think about it), and finally, talk to my girlfriend.

I think I'd choose her... but I probably wouldn't choose anyone else over my career.

Think if they're really worth it... it's an important question to make yourself :smile:

Edit: Why neg rep?
(edited 13 years ago)
Education first, "jobs" second.

But there is no point going to uni with absolutely no clue what you'll get out of it employment-wise. That's the reason so many graduates are unemployed!

(Obviously there is a shortage of jobs, I understand that, but if people do useful/good degrees, they'll get a job)
Original post by C_B_C
Well, it's close to not being hypothetical: if I don't join the Army by a certain age, I won't ever be able to join.

So, say that I had to decide in the next week either to break up with her or never have my dream career.
It would be a horrible week, to be honest... I'd talk to my friends, talk to my Dad (who wen't through a similar decision at my age, now that I think about it), and finally, talk to my girlfriend.

I think I'd choose her... but I probably wouldn't choose anyone else over my career.

Think if they're really worth it... it's an important question to make yourself :smile:

Interestingly, what if you went with her, stayed with her, passed over the age requirement, and regretted your decision?

Worst feeling in the world, right?

I mean, technically you could always find another "perfect girl", but a second shot at your own ambitions and your own dreams?
But there is no point going to uni with absolutely no clue what you'll get out of it employment-wise. That's the reason so many graduates are unemployed!

Bull****. Rather people do "doss" degrees THINKING it will get them into a certain sector of work, realised it doesn't, and then they end up on the dole.

There is nothing wrong with studying for the sake of learning.

(Obviously there is a shortage of jobs, I understand that, but if people do useful/good degrees, they'll get a job)

Some don't do useful/good degrees.
Bull****. Rather people do "doss" degrees THINKING it will get them into a certain sector of work, realised it doesn't, and then they end up on the dole.

There is nothing wrong with studying for the sake of learning.

Some don't do useful/good degrees.

There is if you're getting yourself into mounds of debt for a bit of fun with no way of ever paying it back.

Exactly.

There is if you're getting yourself into mounds of debt for a bit of fun with no way of ever paying it back.

Exactly.

Same could be said for those who go to university for the "party" experience. Yet people still go. And therefore get into debt.
Same could be said for those who go to university for the "party" experience. Yet people still go. And therefore get into debt.

Yup you're proving my point. Go to uni to get a good job.
Reply 535
id choose perfect partner
Yup you're proving my point. Go to uni to get a good job.

No, go to university to learn.
No, hell no

Original post by LC_x
id choose perfect partner

Why?
I would never give up my dreams for a perfect partner. A perfect relationship sounds so boring and I value my independence too much, even if it does get lonely. I can't actually envision being with a 'perfect partner' at all, if you loved eachother that much wouldn't the relationship become kind of all-consuming and ruin other aspects of your life?

I hate to seem cynical -I am one of the biggest romanticists I know but there is a lot of truth in that old cliche: 'You're born alone, you die alone'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending