The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Even though it breaks my heart that I'm saying this, I would still pick the perfect career. Just the possibilities of a perfect career are enough to keep me surviving, like meeting different people (I can crave them even though I know I can never be with them :teehee:) and just doing the things I love doing, and all the independence I'd have.

I wouldn't sacrifice my dreams and have no career for a perfect partner. I'd be really dependent and I don't like the idea of being 'tied' to another person for all my life.
This is a fascinating thread- 50.5% perfect future to 49.5% perfect partner....can't call this one.
Reply 542
Original post by im so academic
Why?

id much rather be in a happy relationship than be a lonely cat woman :smile:

Original post by LC_x
id much rather be in a happy relationship than be a lonely cat woman :smile:

Who's to say if you are career-driven you'll be a "lonely cat woman"?
Reply 544

I say no more.

Original post by grth

I say no more.

:facepalm2:

Wait, what?

Whoever said it was necessary?

Making a living for yourself? I didnt say it was necessary, but it's usually why people take jobs they don't like up isn't it?
Reply 547
:eek:

I'm shocked with that statement. I assumed the reverse would be true...

Why do you say it's easier to find your perfect partner?

Depends what constitutes your 'perfect partner'. I don't personally believe in a soul mate, I believe in people well suited for each other, and each person has thousands of possibilities for a 'perfect partner' (if this wasnt the case, no one would get married).

Whereas your perfect future... well... thats harder to come by. No matter how much you love your partner, there will always be that bitterness of what you gave up, and this will ruin the relationship.

Whereas if you've got a dream life you're happy with, a partner (even if not wholly perfect) will not mar or ruin your life, just enhance it.

Plus, the more famous/successful you are, the more attractive you become. So finding partners becomes easier.
Reply 548
Partner would win every time. Achieving goals without someone to share it with would be a lot less of an achievement to me. Having someone to come home to every day to rant to about how you haven't achieved anything and your in a complete rut sounds much more appealing to me then to come home to an empty house. Yes you could tell your friends how amazing your day was but they could be the most amazing friend and it still just wouldn't be the same.
Original post by Smophy

Original post by Smophy
Partner would win every time. Achieving goals without someone to share it with would be a lot less of an achievement to me. Having someone to come home to every day to rant to about how you haven't achieved anything and your in a complete rut sounds much more appealing to me then to come home to an empty house. Yes you could tell your friends how amazing your day was but they could be the most amazing friend and it still just wouldn't be the same.

But what's the deal with "telling your achievements" with someone you're married to?

Of course it wouldn't be the same (you don't say...), but what's the attraction with it?

Is that the meaning of life? Telling your achievements to a guy you're married to?
I'd assume that my 'perfect partner' would be happy with my dreams/future/career, so no. If there was no circumstantial reason why I should not proceed with my career/dreams/whatever, then the partner would just have to put up with it.
No, go to university to learn.

You do realise universities are first and foremost businesses? If they were so committed to the advancement of learning, they'd place all their graduate courses on line for free.

A lot of people can ultimately teach themselves at 18, and those who struggled could hire tutors, probably for less than £9,000.
Technically, no matter what weighting you apply to dreams and partner in your head, you're comparing two infinities.

I'd go for partner every time though.
perfect partner doesn't = boring. It's PERFECT.
Reply 554
But what's the deal with "telling your achievements" with someone you're married to?

Of course it wouldn't be the same (you don't say...), but what's the attraction with it?

Is that the meaning of life? Telling your achievements to a guy you're married to?

Sharing your joy with someone is what I mean. Having someone to celebrate with. Someone to be happy for you and to spur you on. Someone to cheer you up or even to scream at when things go wrong (one who understands and forgives you for it though lol).

I don't mean to sound all mushy and yucky and stuff (really isn't me) but to me having someone to love and who loves me is much closer to the meaning of life than status and money. Success, money and status just do not make up for the loneliness in my opinion.
Nope, :nope: no way :nope: would I give up what I have been trying to achieve, for the sake of a man. Sod that! lol
Reply 556
I don't think TSR really represents the views of the general population on this one, judging by the poll.

However, I would pick the partner. No question. The dreams, all that, can't make up for not having that someone there. It's soppy and mushy, but I don't care, it's true.
I think id go for partner. I'd feel like there was still something missing if i had a perfect career but no partner
Original post by ZizziHikaru
perfect partner doesn't = boring. It's PERFECT.

So does perfect career/dreams/aspirations?
Original post by Smophy
Sharing your joy with someone is what I mean. Having someone to celebrate with. Someone to be happy for you and to spur you on. Someone to cheer you up or even to scream at when things go wrong (one who understands and forgives you for it though lol).

So I need a husband to spur me on/cheer me up/understand me? What the ****?

I don't mean to sound all mushy and yucky and stuff (really isn't me) but to me having someone to love and who loves me is much closer to the meaning of life than status and money. Success, money and status just do not make up for the loneliness in my opinion.

I'm career-driven and I do not necessarily want success (depends how you define it) and I most definitely do not want money/status.

Career-driven =/= loneliness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending