The Student Room Group

Red Nose Day - I don't think so

Just another opportunity for 'celebs' and corporations to promote themselves under the excuse of charity. Where money is raised yet we never hear about its destination afterwards. Where people make complete fools out of themselves in the name of 'charity'.

The worst part in my opinion are the shameless singers and groups who are clearly using the show as a platform for publicity.

Give me a break. They won't be getting a penny of my money.

Scroll to see replies

F*** off.

any money raised for charity is a good thing, regardless of whether celebs do it for the right reasons...

+why dont you actually do some reserch, or watch the show? they always show projects that have been created+ things that have happened due to the money raised...

now go away, troll...
Reply 2
People get helped. Thread/
stop being a scrooge, at least the celebs are doing what they can to help someone else.
What a generous ray of sunshine you are :rolleyes:

And FYI:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/charityappeals/money/

an in depth list of EXACTLY where the money goes and what it does to help the communities.
It's awful television that I can agree on.

But the raising money for charity part is cool though.
Reply 6
Original post by dd4483
Just another opportunity for 'celebs' and corporations to promote themselves under the excuse of charity. Where money is raised yet we never hear about its destination afterwards. Where people make complete fools out of themselves in the name of 'charity'.

The worst part in my opinion are the shameless singers and groups who are clearly using the show as a platform for publicity.

Bar humbug.
Reply 7
Original post by dd4483

All I have to say to that is:

Spoiler

Original post by I<3LAMP
It's awful television that I can agree on.

But the raising money for charity part is cool though.

I agree.
These days even the Doctor Who cameo's are a bit...lacking (I much prefer the proper Dr Who episodes) but still it is for a good cause. The Dr Who thing is usually the only reason I watch it, otherwise I give it a miss, but I do donate.
And your right, it's good to see what people will do to raise money. Earlier today there was a guy standing in my local train station in a superman outfit collecting money.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I agree.
These days even the Doctor Who cameo's are a bit...lacking (I much prefer the proper Dr Who episodes) but still it is for a good cause. The Dr Who thing is usually the only reason I watch it, otherwise I give it a miss, but I do donate.
And your right, it's good to see what people will do to raise money. Earlier today there was a guy standing in my local train station in a superman outfit collecting money.

I like it when people make an effort to be original. Some young girls hopped about on those space hoppers which was annoying, a few people at work dressed all in red +wigs which was predictable, men waxing is hilarious but meh, but seeing people doing something epic is much better.

Oh yeah at my local station a woman was dressed as a pack of cards, the costume shops must be raking it in!

I'm going to sound really bad but I don't watch it if I can help it. The sad bits make me feel sad but my bank never has money in, which makes me more sad, and the show is just dreadful. I think it gets worse every year. :frown:
Original post by I<3LAMP
men waxing is hilarious but meh,

When I was at college some guys in my class did that for a charity as part of a charity walk we did (which was about 50 miles.)
Some had their legs done, some their armpits.
I heard their screams from miles away.

The horror.....the horror....
Original post by thunder_chunky
When I was at college some guys in my class did that for a charity as part of a charity walk we did (which was about 50 miles.)
Some had their legs done, some their armpits.
I heard their screams from miles away.

The horror.....the horror....

:rofl:

The rip + the screaming is pure comedy. The smoothness!
Original post by I<3LAMP
:rofl:

The rip + the screaming is pure comedy. The smoothness!

Pictures were taken as well but they have been no doubt lost in the annuals of time. Still I remember one great picture was a guy in mid scream just as a waxing strip was pulled off his armpit.
Original post by foreveryoung01
stop being a scrooge, at least the celebs are doing what they can to help someone else.

Exactly, that's true. It doesn't matter if it's funny or stupid or serious they're still helping someone.
The show is full of films about what the money is for. Not that I watch it anymore because it is annoying. But hey it raises lots of money for good causes, how can you possibly complain about that?
I am sick to death of people saying this today. Raise millions on your own then OP. Some people are so selfish when it comes to charity :frown:
Reply 16
A tremendous amount of money gets raised and celebs raise their profile in the process.

Everyone wins.

So what's your issue?

There are also always follow up shows - and if you watch the show you'll see what money raised has done for the people. I can only presume you've never watched the show and have just made this thread look edgy. Perhaps give it a watch.
Reply 17
You got it bang on OP, sorry you had to be subject to the narrow minded humans of TSR.

It's funny how many people seem to change their morals depending on context.
Reply 18
I know people who have been helped by comic relief schemes.. its not exactly some big scam where someone runs off with all the money and having celebritys involved raises more money so more people get helped. plus they do run all year round is one big day of fundraising really to much to ask?
Is this the one with James Corden as Smithy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending