The Student Room Group

Anyone else have this problem? .......

Getting people at uni to do anything besides drink?

Seriously, it's starting to piss me off now. I've been here at uni for 6 months now, and i've been to the cinema a tonne of times.....all on my own.

I'd love to have a night out with my mates, have a meal, go see a movie, go bowling, or whatever else anyone decided to throw in. But nobody seems interested unless it's a night out in the clubs or pubs. FFS! I can't be the only one having this problem?

Pointless rant really......but I miss my Newcastle friends :frown: ......my mates who were capable of going for a cuppa, of going for a meal or to the cinema or shopping. Why is the majority of people at uni only interested in going out getting wasted?! .....don't get me wrong, I love a good booze up and getting pissed. But once every 3 weeks/a month. It's boring doing it all the time, but it's all anyone wants to do.

Sorry for whinging folks but i'm a grump and feeling rather lonely tonight!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When you go out drinking with them, do you get wasted?
Reply 2
Don't feel lonely! :frown: Good for you for not conforming.
Original post by in_vogue
When you go out drinking with them, do you get wasted?

I don't go out drinking with them. (I go out drinking in Newcastle when I go home, so i'm not saying I hate it, just don't want to be doing it all the time). I have a few drinks in with them, watch a few films and get a bit drunk. But this is like every 3-4 weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Getting people at uni to do anything besides drink?

Seriously, it's starting to piss me off now. I've been here at uni for 6 months now, and i've been to the cinema a tonne of times.....all on my own.

I'd love to have a night out with my mates, have a meal, go see a movie, go bowling, or whatever else anyone decided to throw in. But nobody seems interested unless it's a night out in the clubs or pubs. FFS! I can't be the only one having this problem?

Pointless rant really......but I miss my Newcastle friends :frown: ......my mates who were capable of going for a cuppa, of going for a meal or to the cinema or shopping. Why is the majority of people at uni only interested in going out getting wasted?! .....don't get me wrong, I love a good booze up and getting pissed. But once every 3 weeks/a month. It's boring doing it all the time, but it's all anyone wants to do.

Sorry for whinging folks but i'm a grump and feeling rather lonely tonight!

Hey, yeah I have kind of a similar problem. I'm not really a big fan of going out a getting drunk so a little bit different. But yeah, nobody seems to want to do anything else.
This is so true...have you got any friends that don't drink? I'm sure they'd be up for something else if you suggested it.
Which uni d'you go to? I know what you mean, I'm not against drinking but people tend to either get smashed or stay in and not socailise. Not a massive fan of either, I'd enjoy a cinema trip, bowling etc social drink much more.
Reply 7
Im exactly the same, the people i live with have a nightly routine which even i know and i dont go with them, mon-oceana, tues-oceana, wed-some other club, thurs-oceana, fri,sat,sun- su
and they always come back stonkingly drunk at half 3 /4 in the morning and wake me up :frown: i havent had an uninterrupted night sleep since i started uni in september :frown: i dont even talk to these guys anymore because a) i barely see them, theyre effectively nocturnal b) i have a lot of work to do in the day and sometimes the night anyway and c) i dont want to hear how fun running away from a bouncer was so they could be sick :s-smilie: I cant wait to go home for summer! and im transferring uni so i can be back at home with my friends who have a bit more substance to their lives! And we also live a little with the money we earn! Those in my flat confessed at the start that their parents either a) pay their accomodation and they live off the maintenance loan or b)pay their accomodation and live off the maintenance loan and get an allowance, do you think their parents even know thats where their money goes?! argh! i know who you feel OP really really do!!
Reply 8
Thankfully I don't all the folks I've met are the opposite, not really the type to want to go getting wasted every night. It would piss me off though, so I feel your pain.
Reply 9
Yeah I have this problem quite a bit. I'm all for going to a pub for a few drinks and some conversation, but people seem to think that if they're not getting wasted then there's no point, it's a "waste of money" somehow... :s-smilie:
Original post by mangoh
I don't have this problem but I still think alcohol should be banned full-stop along side cigarettes as its bad for ur health, clogs up NHS and such a waste of a life.

Both alcohol and smoking provide far far more money to the NHS than the problems they cause because they are taxed extortionately. That's the main reason the government will never ban them totally.
Reply 11
I know how you feel.
I'm in my third year now and in my first year I was going out and drinking all the time, then I got bored of it. I tried at first to get people to do something that didn't involve drinking, but people just genuinely weren't interested. If thats what they want to do you can't get them to change their routine. Sometimes I feel slightly left out because I wont drink every night and sometimes when you're the only sober person amongst the drunks you feel like your missing out on some secret joke.

My house-mates actually drink more beer than they do water. I honestly think they drink because they actually cant find anything better to do/can't be bothered to make the effort.
Reply 12
I dont understand why you cant do both? At uni I would probably go out 4-5 times a week but still managed to find time to go for meals, cinema, bowling etc. Either go in the day or nights when theyre not going out or go before the night out
Original post by littlemissm
This is so true...have you got any friends that don't drink? I'm sure they'd be up for something else if you suggested it.

Not really. I'm one of those people who prefers to have 1 or 2 close friends (always have been), and they don't seem to want to do anything besides drink.

I have suggested it in the past but I always get the 'i'm busy' response, or 'i'm hungover'.

Original post by ItsSuperdan15
Which uni d'you go to? I know what you mean, I'm not against drinking but people tend to either get smashed or stay in and not socailise. Not a massive fan of either, I'd enjoy a cinema trip, bowling etc social drink much more.

I go to MMU. I guess you're going to say well what do you expect? It's an ex poly, of course people are going to be ****ing around pissed all the time. I wouldn't blame you if you did........but i'm proof that us ex poly kids aren't all the same :yep:

Original post by ahoward
Im exactly the same, the people i live with have a nightly routine which even i know and i dont go with them, mon-oceana, tues-oceana, wed-some other club, thurs-oceana, fri,sat,sun- su
and they always come back stonkingly drunk at half 3 /4 in the morning and wake me up :frown: i havent had an uninterrupted night sleep since i started uni in september :frown: i dont even talk to these guys anymore because a) i barely see them, theyre effectively nocturnal b) i have a lot of work to do in the day and sometimes the night anyway and c) i dont want to hear how fun running away from a bouncer was so they could be sick :s-smilie: I cant wait to go home for summer! and im transferring uni so i can be back at home with my friends who have a bit more substance to their lives! And we also live a little with the money we earn! Those in my flat confessed at the start that their parents either a) pay their accomodation and they live off the maintenance loan or b)pay their accomodation and live off the maintenance loan and get an allowance, do you think their parents even know thats where their money goes?! argh! i know who you feel OP really really do!!

Awww sorry to hear you're having such a **** time! That's what my original flatmates were like......(I moved flats in late October) this one is much better, much quieter, but still.....drinking only. Everyone paints a picture that uni is amazing and you will have the best experience of your life, but really it's not like that for everyone, it can be quite a sad and lonely time too. Especially if you've moved away from home.

Good luck with your uni change, hope things work out for you! :smile:
Original post by jonski
I dont understand why you cant do both? At uni I would probably go out 4-5 times a week but still managed to find time to go for meals, cinema, bowling etc. Either go in the day or nights when theyre not going out or go before the night out

I don't understand how one would find time to do all that. If you're out all the time drinking, and then meals, cinema etc. Where is one going to find the time to get some decent sleep and get their work done?

Not to mention how much all that would cost!
Original post by moody_bum
I know how you feel.
I'm in my third year now and in my first year I was going out and drinking all the time, then I got bored of it. I tried at first to get people to do something that didn't involve drinking, but people just genuinely weren't interested. If thats what they want to do you can't get them to change their routine. Sometimes I feel slightly left out because I wont drink every night and sometimes when you're the only sober person amongst the drunks you feel like your missing out on some secret joke.

My house-mates actually drink more beer than they do water. I honestly think they drink because they actually cant find anything better to do/can't be bothered to make the effort.

One of my old flatmates got to the point where she couldn't sleep unless she'd had a drink! :s-smilie:
Quit hating on beer :cry:
Reply 17
I don't understand how one would find time to do all that. If you're out all the time drinking, and then meals, cinema etc. Where is one going to find the time to get some decent sleep and get their work done?

Not to mention how much all that would cost!

Sleep when your dead :P Nah its easy enough to go cinema or for a meal before a night out, guess you have to calm down a little when you've got a deadline coming up but generally uni isn't really a big workload
Reply 18

One of my old flatmates got to the point where she couldn't sleep unless she'd had a drink! :s-smilie:

That reminds me of some old lady who needs a 'tot of sherry' before she goes to bed!
Reply 19
Yes :frown:
One group of friends (well, more people I occasionally hang around with, we've grown apart - actually because I got bored of going to the bloody pub every night) always, always ALWAYS go to the pub or stay in someone's room drinking, and are forever playing drinking games or doing drinking challenges, I have no idea how they afford it or how their livers can take it, these guys can have their monthly allowance of alcohol in one night and do it several times a week :s-smilie:

I'm not someone who goes out all the time, being an appreciator of quiet nights in but I still really would like to go clubbing every now and then, not asking to do it every night, like some people, but maybe once/twice a week/fortnight... and then I get responses like "can't afford it" when they go to tescos a couple of times a week and buy tons of junk food and energy drinks so they can do all nighters to get work done (and then not actually do any work...:rolleyes:) or even "I don't want to go out if I can't drink, and I don't have enough money for it"

I really don't understand why alcohol is the be-all and end-all at uni, one of my friends was even told she was pathetic by a guy because she tried to stop him from pouring alcohol over something he'd set fire to!!! (he was drunk - she wasn't. He's actually always a massive douche to her about the fact she doesn't like drinking, no idea why she's still friend with him)

I'm not like militant anti-alcohol, I know that it can make parties fun as it gets shy people to come out of their shells etc but I just don't understand why it's simply so important. YOU DO NOT NEED ALCOHOL TO HAVE FUN. IF YOU DO, YOU'RE BORING.

Quick Reply