The Student Room Group

Maintenence grant won't appear?

I did a search but couldn't find anything helpful...I'd really appreciate some help. I'm currently trying to apply for my first year, starting 2011. I am entitled to the maintenence grant, as I only have one parent and he is retired, and thus isn't earning anything.
On the slider thing where I put in my parent's earnings, it says an estimate, and comes up with the maintenence grant, tuition & maintenence loans. However, when it actually comes up with what I'm applying for, it just has the loans. It says the "estimate of student finance you are applying for..."
and when I click on what I want to apply for taking my earning into account, again, it just asks if I want to apply for the loans.

Can anyone please help me, how to apply for the grant too? It's vital and I can't apply without it, and I really want to apply asap as I'm currently working abroad for a few months, and so I really want to get this out of the way and know it's done. This is so fustrating, as the application just sees to assume things and jump to the next section, and I can't seem to find any buttons to say "no, that's not it!", just "all done lolz", if that makes sense...
Please & thanks. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeh aply for the loans and as you start to fill in the very low income, grants should appear, i just had my declaration form come today and im gettign £6403 in maintenance (max loan/max grant)
Reply 2
Isn't there another option below the one with the slider where you can do it on household income? Thats the one I went on and I have got both the loan and the grant come up.
Reply 3
same with me well i know when i started it online it only ask about applying for either a special support grant but not the maintenance grant. in fact it doesn't even mention the maintenance grant even when it says student breakdown of what i can get it doesn't say grant anywhere :s-smilie:
Original post by Tabers
Isn't there another option below the one with the slider where you can do it on household income? Thats the one I went on and I have got both the loan and the grant come up.

I can't find anything like that...I'm very confused now, so I'm just gonna walk through it...okay so it comes up with loans, and I click "apply withOUT taking income into account" (just to experiment) and that comes up with the slider. When it's on the left, "up to 25,000" it lists an estimate of what I'm entitled too, saying the loans and the grant. I click "change application to be based on income support" and it comes up with, "your estimate so far"; just the loans. This is the same page as before, so I'm going in circles. I continue on and it asks me about what loans I want to apply for, no grants mentioned.
Then it just goes to the "your student finance - breakdown" section, saying "this shows the finance(s) you are requesting. You have chosen to provide your household income". Again, the loans, no grant mentioned.
Then it wants to me to agree to the terms and send off my application! As everything else is filled out. But I'm too afraid to do so, that I may be losing the grant if so. :frown:
I don't even remember it asking about my parent's finance other than the slider, but when I go back through the sections I can't find anything that's not filled in.
However, I did ask for forms to be sent to my dad by post (as I'm away, and he can't use computers) about his income - could this be related?
In fact, when I go back to look at the income section all it asks is about taxable unearned income and if an employer released me for this academic year. That's it. Then it just forwards me onto the stupid "review & submit" final section.

Original post by teshnit
Yeh aply for the loans and as you start to fill in the very low income, grants should appear, i just had my declaration form come today and im gettign £6403 in maintenance (max loan/max grant)

Well the worry is, I've filled everything out and it hasn't done so...I'm too afraid that I'll apply and the grant will be lost. And whoa, that's good :eek: mine's 2900 and I'm on the lowest on the slider (under 25000), are you from abroad?

Original post by Yas01
same with me well i know when i started it online it only ask about applying for either a special support grant but not the maintenance grant. in fact it doesn't even mention the maintenance grant even when it says student breakdown of what i can get it doesn't say grant anywhere :s-smilie:

Same... This is worrying. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I had to download and print the SF application so im filling it out.
Original post by Yas01
I had to download and print the SF application so im filling it out.

Oh...man I'm so goddamn fustrated at this point I'd do that, but it won't give me any other options now. I hate this about this website - how it's all "proceed!" but no way to ****ing change your options or get help argh. :frown:
Reply 7
I'm getting exactly the same problem. I keep going round in circles and I'm worried to submit my application just in case I can't change it after. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by farawayheartbeat
Oh...man I'm so goddamn fustrated at this point I'd do that, but it won't give me any other options now. I hate this about this website - how it's all "proceed!" but no way to ****ing change your options or get help argh. :frown:

Just so you know you can just leave the online application the way it is don't submit it and just download and print of the number of copies needed for you and your family and just fill it out. Get a sticky note and place it the application and just said you started the process online but decided to do it on the forms and they will accept that
From what I've found, you won't get offered the grant until you filled in the loans form and sent them. Or contact them and ask.
I did a search but couldn't find anything helpful...I'd really appreciate some help. I'm currently trying to apply for my first year, starting 2011. I am entitled to the maintenence grant, as I only have one parent and he is retired, and thus isn't earning anything.
On the slider thing where I put in my parent's earnings, it says an estimate, and comes up with the maintenence grant, tuition & maintenence loans. However, when it actually comes up with what I'm applying for, it just has the loans. It says the "estimate of student finance you are applying for..."
and when I click on what I want to apply for taking my earning into account, again, it just asks if I want to apply for the loans.

Can anyone please help me, how to apply for the grant too? It's vital and I can't apply without it, and I really want to apply asap as I'm currently working abroad for a few months, and so I really want to get this out of the way and know it's done. This is so fustrating, as the application just sees to assume things and jump to the next section, and I can't seem to find any buttons to say "no, that's not it!", just "all done lolz", if that makes sense...

You do not 'apply' for a maintenance grant, you will automatically get assessed for it when you request the income assessed portion of the student loan.

When you receive you entitlement letter after you have provided your parents' financial evidence, and the maintenance grant will appear on there.
From the start, enter your details as you do usually.
When you are asked to assess via household income, click the link. You'll then need to enter income from each parents, and any children they have that depend on them (e.g your brother and sister, if they live in the same house).
When you have entered their information (they'll need to register, but you can do it for them providing they have given consent) - use their HRMC tax entitlement from April 09 to 2010 for each of their incomes - then proceed as usual.

At the end, you'll be shown a table, showing what you have chosen as your entitlement (e.g tuition fee loan / max or whatever). In this table, your maintenance grant should appear - as in, it will say "Amount" as N/A, but the value on the right of the table is the amount you'll receive. Your maintenance loan will show too, showing the amount you opted for.

If that fails, then print another one.

The above info I wrote when going through it myself about three days ago - you'll need to actually be on student finance, and start from the beginnin. To do this, just click the 'About Yourself' part (could be About You) and then justcontinue with proceed.

Sorry if this is confusing... Kins
Reply 12
I can't find anything like that...I'm very confused now, so I'm just gonna walk through it...okay so it comes up with loans, and I click "apply withOUT taking income into account" (just to experiment) and that comes up with the slider. When it's on the left, "up to 25,000" it lists an estimate of what I'm entitled too, saying the loans and the grant. I click "change application to be based on income support" and it comes up with, "your estimate so far"; just the loans. This is the same page as before, so I'm going in circles. I continue on and it asks me about what loans I want to apply for, no grants mentioned.
Then it just goes to the "your student finance - breakdown" section, saying "this shows the finance(s) you are requesting. You have chosen to provide your household income". Again, the loans, no grant mentioned.
Then it wants to me to agree to the terms and send off my application! As everything else is filled out. But I'm too afraid to do so, that I may be losing the grant if so. :frown:
I don't even remember it asking about my parent's finance other than the slider, but when I go back through the sections I can't find anything that's not filled in.
However, I did ask for forms to be sent to my dad by post (as I'm away, and he can't use computers) about his income - could this be related?
In fact, when I go back to look at the income section all it asks is about taxable unearned income and if an employer released me for this academic year. That's it. Then it just forwards me onto the stupid "review & submit" final section.

Well the worry is, I've filled everything out and it hasn't done so...I'm too afraid that I'll apply and the grant will be lost. And whoa, that's good :eek: mine's 2900 and I'm on the lowest on the slider (under 25000), are you from abroad?

Same... This is worrying. :frown:

No im a uk student, living away from home, thats £6403 when you add both the loan and the £2900 grant
Applied this afternoon, I should get the full maintenance grant. I was just wondering how long on average it takes for people to find out how much they're getting?
After their parents send in the evidence of their income if asking for an income assessed loan.

Your dad's pension counts as income.
You have to apply for an income assessed loan and he has to provide proof of his income for the year 2009-10.
Reply 16
Ive been having problems already aswell. I was wondering where to apply for the grant as my parents are on benefits. I really dont understand how my parents are supposed to supply evidence of their income, my parents dont understand any of it so its up to me to find out. But i have no clue what their income is because they dont get P6O's or whatever it is. So confusing..I've submitted my application last night but im just waiting for my parents to get the emails they were suppose to send. (Hopefully tomorrow) ..nobody else seems to be in my situation.. (crys lol)
what benefits?
If JSA they will get a P60 cos it is a taxable benefit.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Your dad's pension counts as income.
You have to apply for an income assessed loan and he has to provide proof of his income for the year 2009-10.

Really? Even though it states it's earned income? My dad said that it'd mean just what you earn through current work, etc, not what he he is now given because he has retired after the many years etc.
Well, either way, he has to fill out the forms with his income etc, as you said. I'm currently away like I said, but I checked the button to have the income forms sent home so that he can fill them out, so we'll find out. :smile:

Original post by teshnit
No im a uk student, living away from home, thats £6403 when you add both the loan and the £2900 grant

Oh, I get you now. I thought you meant £6000 just for the grant!
(edited 13 years ago)
Really? Even though it states it's earned income? My dad said that it'd mean just what you earn through current work, etc, not what he he is now given because he has retired after the many years etc.
Well, either way, he has to fill out the forms with his income etc, as you said. I'm currently away like I said, but I checked the button to have the income forms sent home so that he can fill them out, so we'll find out. :smile:

Oh, I get you now. I thought you meant £6000 just for the grant!

well your dad's wrong. A company/state pension is income to declare.
My dad is on a pension and has to put it down as income. It is clear on the paper forms if not online.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending