The Student Room Group

I cant speak Punjabi

Yes i'm a Hindu Punjabi but the thing is i cant speak it. My parents are telling me to learn it but its so hard and that i dont have time to do it ( as i am in med and have alot of work to do!!) All my friends are telling me to learn it... i'm 18 btw! I just dont know what to do ( its hard to learn a new language when you hit 18).. I can understand it abit but i cant speak it.

Scroll to see replies

its not the end of the world not knowing it.

but as your parents can speak it, surely it makes it quite a bit easier to learn. just get them to talk to you in punjabi all the time whenever you're at home
Don't worry, a lot of young people here can't even speak proper english.
I can't speak Punjabi either.. :sad:
Reply 4
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
its not the end of the world not knowing it.

but as your parents can speak it, surely it makes it quite a bit easier to learn. just get them to talk to you in punjabi all the time whenever you're at home

I find it really hard because im busy! Plus my grandad gets really annoyed when i dont speak to him or any of my other relatives in Punjabi... and my mum is always like " we are gonna find it hard finding a girl for you as you cant speak our laguage!"
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I find it really hard because im busy! Plus my grandad gets really annoyed when i dont speak to him or any of my other relatives in Punjabi... and my mum is always like " we are gonna find it hard finding a girl for you as you cant speak our laguage!"

Why didn't you learn it as a child? Of course it's more difficult for you to learn at 18.. Blame your parents for not helping you speak it when you were young :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

surely thats a good thing
Reply 7
I can't speak Punjabi either. :frown:

I had a similar thing with my family when I was 12/13; my dad's side of the family are all German-speaking, although I was only brought up speaking English. I sorted it by learning to speak German :smile: But if you're finding Punjabi difficult, you don't have to learn it. It's good to be able to speak to your family, but hopefully you can use your parents to interpret/translate if they're fluent. As for them finding a girl for you, if you want an arranged marriage, can you not ask them to arrange one with someone who's in a similar predicament - a girl of your same culture, religion and ethnicity, but who was born in Britain or moved to Britain when young, and thus can't speak Punjabi either?
Reply 8
I guess you could just watch punjabi movies/listen to punjabi music. Shouldn't be too hard to pick it up since it was probably the language spoken in your house.

It's okay if you don't learn it but I would think that knowing another language would be a benefit. Up to you, really.
I don't think it's fair on your parents telling you to learn it. It was their responsibility to teach it to you when you were young.
Reply 10
Ullu ka patha

:colonhash:

:awesome:
Reply 11
I'm a 17 year old you
Reply 12
I can say Aloo and other words.
Reply 13
Lol do you not understand at all? Don't your parents speak it at home/to you? If they don't then they can't be annoyed at you or expect you to learn it.
Reply 14
Original post by aeterno
Ullu ka patha

:colonhash:

:awesome:

I was thinking the same :rolleyes:
putar.... chitar ane aa!!
Reply 16
sonie lol
Imagine being a midget.
What a vaddooo, only kidding just tackle it after med school or learn it over the holidays, get your priorities right.
I can understand a bit

Latest

Trending

Trending