The Student Room Group

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I don't think it matters, at all. The most important thing is to have a parent/parents who love you.

I don't buy this notion that children need a father figure, either. When you take away economic factors, children brought up by single mums actually fair slightly better than children who have been brought up in traditional households.
Reply 161
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
i'm black and i couldn't give a monkeys lol...thinking being gay is disgusting is not bigoted...its my opinion STRAIGHT...

a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Yes it is.
Reply 162
Morality has been flushed down the toilet lol... shame.
Reply 163
thinking being gay is disgusting is not bigoted...

Someone needs to buy a dictionary.
Reply 164
Original post by DJkG.1

Funny coming from a muslim.
Reply 165
Original post by DJkG.1

Says the unabashed liar and manipulator :toofunny:

I thought you were a "progressive" Muslim? :rolleyes:
Original post by imperial maniac
No there really isn't otherwise it would be public knowledge, not hidden in some website.

But it is public knowledge like I said look at the animal kingdom, I and many other people did not choose to be gay nor can anything else affect soemone's sexuality, we are who we are.
i'm black and i couldn't give a monkeys lol...thinking being gay is disgusting is not bigoted...its my opinion STRAIGHT...

I think you'll find that thinking gay's are disgusting is bigoted... as Lewis said.
Original post by Planto
Stigma to fuel stigma; the genius of the modern troglodyte.

Can't say I wasn't expecting this.

Btw, me having a view which is against the mainstream doesn't make a troglodyte.
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
I think you'll find that thinking gay's are disgusting is bigoted... as Lewis said.

It's not bigoted :facepalm:

Saying you are disgusted by gays is NOT saying "I hate all gays because they are gay"

Some people have other strange sexual tendencies, is being disgusted by BDSM bigoted? I don't see how that is any more or less of a fetish than homosexuality is.

Saying you are disgusted by gays is NOT saying "I hate all gays because they are gay"

Some people have other strange sexual tendencies, is being disgusted by BDSM bigoted? I don't see how that is any more or less of a fetish than homosexuality is.

How is it not? Finding the act of being gay being disgusting, would surely mean you would find all gay people disgusting right? Homosexuality is not a fetish, you wouldn't say being straight is a fetish right?.... O_o
But it is public knowledge like I said look at the animal kingdom, I and many other people did not choose to be gay nor can anything else affect soemone's sexuality, we are who we are.

I do not understand where people get this animal kingdom argument from.

When was the last time you saw a lion pride consisting entirely of males?

When was the last time you saw two bulls being inclined to raise an orphaned calf?

When a male frog accidentally tries to mate with another male frog, the male on the receiving end emits a special cry to inform the other frog of his mistake.

In fact, some research shows that humans are one of the only animals that partake in sexual activity simply for recreation.
Reply 172
Can't say I wasn't expecting this.

Btw, me having a view which is against the mainstream doesn't make a troglodyte.

I have no doubt that you were expecting it. Most people who uphold stupid opinions are used to having them shot down, even if that isn't how they see it.

You have argued the stance, effectively, that it should be stigmatised. Your only reasoning for this is that it is "not normal". Therefore, an apt summary of your argument is "it is stigmatised therefore it should be stigmatised." Therefore, you are not very smart. Dress it up in rhetoric and use carefully selected words all you want, but when you cut the fluff, that statement is synonymous to your argument. And it is an absurd statement.

Also, there are a number of studies supporting a genetic link with sexual orientation. Whitam et al. studied thirty-eight pairs of monozygotic twins raised apart and found a homosexuality concordance rate of around 70%. It may seem like a small sample size, but statistically it is extremely unlikely that this is coincidental.

Nobody with any intelligence sees the argument as being as simple as a "gay gene", because sexual orientation is a rather abstract concept for a single gene. No, rather, genetics may (and pretty much definitely do) play an extremely important role in determining one's sexuality.

You may hold the opinion you do in a childish attempt to be controversial, or you may simply not have much grasp of scientific thought or, indeed, you may simply be a victim of stigma. Whatever the reason for your stance on the matter, you're not likely to convince anyone with any intelligence.

How on earth is homosexuality a fetish? Being gay isn't a fetish, it's a sexuality. Gay people aren't solely turned on by people of the same gender, they also fall in love with people of the same gender, get married and spend the rest of their lives together.

Please don't call homosexuality a fetish when it quite clearly isn't, unless of course you'd call heterosexuality a fetish ...?
Original post by Lewis :D
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Yes it is.

that's your definition of bigoted NOT MINE...say what you want...i think something is nasty so that makes me a bigot OK....
Reply 175
There are articles reporting studies which confirm that sexual orientation is "hardwired" in the New Scientist. I can't link because you need a subscription but if anyone has one, it's easy to find the articles.

I agree that gays raising children is unnatural though.
Reply 176
that's your definition of bigoted NOT MINE...say what you want...i think something is nasty so that makes me a bigot OK....

NOT my definition, it's the dictionary definition!

NOT TO ME...i don't trouble gays,nor am i ever around gays, i just think its disgusting...SO WHAT..you will never change me.
I do not understand where people get this animal kingdom argument from.

When was the last time you saw a lion pride consisting entirely of males?

When was the last time you saw two bulls being inclined to raise an orphaned calf?

When a male frog accidentally tries to mate with another male frog, the male on the receiving end emits a special cry to inform the other frog of his mistake.

In fact, some research shows that humans are one of the only animals that partake in sexual activity simply for recreation.

The animal kingdom argument comes from research... You might not see a male animal jumping on top of another one all the time but it does happen just because you haven't seen it happen doesnt mean it doesn't happer.... Homosexuality is about love not just sex
(edited 13 years ago)
How is it not? Finding the act of being gay being disgusting, would surely mean you would find all gay people disgusting right? Homosexuality is not a fetish, you wouldn't say being straight is a fetish right?.... O_o

As I said earlier, I don't care what people get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Yes homosexuality is a fetish, it deviates from what "normal" sex is, ie; one man and one woman having vaginal sex. All other forms, oral, anal, BDSM, w/e you can think of, are done merely for fun.

And I personally find the idea of one man penetrating another man via the anus to be disgusting, sorry if that upsets you.

I do not have a problem with gays as individuals, I believe they should be able to, in general, have a normal life in every other aspect of their lives if they want to, should not be discriminated against when searching for a job for example. They should not be locked up for being gay, and should be allowed to have relationships.

I draw the line at raising children, children should be raised, if possible, by one man and one woman, preferably married.

Single mothers would never have chosen to of been in that position, no one wants to be a lone parent, because it so so much more difficult, yes, people turn out all right, but it's not preferable.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest