The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self teach Art A-level?

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to self teach Art A-level. :P
I don't think anyone has asked this question yet.
It seems possible to self teach Maths and stuffs but not many people have done that for Art. :s-smilie:
Well since Art is a pile of poop, artists talk trash and it's all subjective, easily.
Reply 2
It's subjective so...I usually catered my work to suit the taste of my teachers...
I guess you could.
Original post by Zakky
Well since Art is a pile of poop, artists talk trash and it's all subjective, easily.

Original post by Wanischa
It's subjective so...I usually catered my work to suit the taste of my teachers...
I guess you could.

Yep, That's what I thought. But then I thought by learnign in class they will teach you soem techniques or something like that. Just like for other subjects e.g. English.
Original post by street.lovin'
Yep, That's what I thought. But then I thought by learnign in class they will teach you soem techniques or something like that. Just like for other subjects e.g. English.

Ha, if only. The past two years my A level Art teacher has taught me how to hate the subject and countdown for the course to end. She's the ****test excuse for a teacher.

I think you can self teach Art A level, it's what we've had to do the past two years.
Original post by makingamemory
Ha, if only. The past two years my A level Art teacher has taught me how to hate the subject and countdown for the course to end. She's the ****test excuse for a teacher.

I think you can self teach Art A level, it's what we've had to do the past two years.

Ok. Thank you very much. So as long as you are good at drawing and know how to do it, it should be ok. :P
I suppose it'd be possible but you really have to understand the grade requirements and what the examiners want!
Throw some **** together, call it "Modern Art", chat **** about how it makes you feel etc and BAM A*.
Original post by outlaw-torn
I suppose it'd be possible but you really have to understand the grade requirements and what the examiners want!

Yeah. That is the hard bit. Is it possible to do it in a year?
Reply 9
I don't understand why people have to hate on art just because they took non-art subjects. I'm a full-on maths geek, but I did art GCSE and I'll freely admit it was the hardest GCSE I did.

The problem with art is that you have to understand exactly what's needed for each grade and what skills you have to demonstrate. It's not enough to be good at drawing and good at writing about drawing; you have to know which different media to work in, how to make links between your work and another artist's, ideas for ways of exploring themes and styles, etc... I don't think you could do it entirely unguided. You could do it without a teacher, though, as long as you had the sketchbook of someone who got a good grade to look at.
Original post by kerily
I don't understand why people have to hate on art just because they took non-art subjects. I'm a full-on maths geek, but I did art GCSE and I'll freely admit it was the hardest GCSE I did.

The problem with art is that you have to understand exactly what's needed for each grade and what skills you have to demonstrate. It's not enough to be good at drawing and good at writing about drawing; you have to know which different media to work in, how to make links between your work and another artist's, ideas for ways of exploring themes and styles, etc... I don't think you could do it entirely unguided. You could do it without a teacher, though, as long as you had the sketchbook of someone who got a good grade to look at.

I am not hating on Art. I am interested in knowing because I don't see a lot of people self teaching Art. I agree with you that it's very hard to know exactly what the examiner want for each grade. The subject is very subjective and that's what make it hard. It's nto like Maths where there is a certain way in solving equation but for Art, it's not that simple.

That's why I am asking whether it is even possible to self teach Art. It seems hard. But if someoen does it, is it possible to do it in a year? Does it have like continual courseworks? Or is it like just exam in Jan and June?
Ok. Thank you very much. So as long as you are good at drawing and know how to do it, it should be ok. :P

Yep, you just have to make sure you understand the marking scheme. As for OCR it's a bit odd and a bit too structured compared to how artists usually work. I.e. there's no shades of grey when submitting work they have to come under a certain section such as a piece can't be record and experiment even though you do the both at the same time.
Although Im not sure how you'd do the exam part by yourself... unless you can sign up to a centre which will allow you to sit your exam there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
They don't really teach you any techniques, I can tell you that.
It's more of a natural ability subject.

Though on AQA to get A* is pretty much copy styles of artists.
I did exactly that and got A*.
(edited 13 years ago)
They don't really teach you any techniques, I can tell you that.
It's more of a natural ability subject.

Though on AQA to get A* is pretty much copy styles of artists.
I did exactly that and got A*.

The college I am at they do Edexcel Art A level but they have courseworks.. :O Who is going to mark my coursework if I self teach? :s-smilie:
Reply 14
The college I am at they do Edexcel Art A level but they have courseworks.. :O Who is going to mark my coursework if I self teach? :s-smilie:

Wait, I'm not sure if I'm on Edexcel or AQA lol.
I don't know...can't you speak to some art teachers at college for some guidance?
Wait, I'm not sure if I'm on Edexcel or AQA lol.
I don't know...can't you speak to some art teachers at college for some guidance?

I will speak to my teacher. Thank you.

So, I guess it can be self taught but will need some guidances and will take a lot of time. This thread is not about me it's someone I know. He wants to apply to an Art related course but he doesn't do Art A level, so I thought self teaching it might be a good idea. But if it's too hard and time consuming or too restricted (in terms of syllabus) I would probably recommend him to spend a year drawing in his sketchbook to make a stunning portfolio instead. :P
Reply 16
I will speak to my teacher. Thank you.

So, I guess it can be self taught but will need some guidances and will take a lot of time. This thread is not about me it's someone I know. He wants to apply to an Art related course but he doesn't do Art A level, so I thought self teaching it might be a good idea. But if it's too hard and time consuming or too restricted (in terms of syllabus) I would probably recommend him to spend a year drawing in his sketchbook to make a stunning portfolio instead. :P

Most art related course would rather you take an art foundation because most people from my sixth form finished their A-level to do the foundation.
Yeah. That is the hard bit. Is it possible to do it in a year?

I did a full Art A-level in year 12 and another in year 13!
If you commit to it and work hard then yes it is possible without going crazy :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest