The Student Room Group

Which country in the world is the best from an objective viewpoint?

Taking into account safety from natural disasters, wild animals, neighbours, education, opportunities for you and your children, healthcare, weather, general stability, and the future of that country (i.e. global warming, economic shifts, ageing populations), which would you say is the best?

I am inclined to say Britain and more specifically England. Although healthcare, opportunities, education, weather, and an ageing population, is slightly worse than the rest of Europe this is offset by the fact that our chances of invasion are relatively low (being that we are an island). We also benefit heavily from being at the centre of time - 8 hours behind China and 5-8 hours in front of America, which makes Britain an almost indispensable country in business terms. Our language is also the international language, which is a clear advantage.

Having said that, it may well be that Scandinavia - in particular Norway and Finland, are the best. They have the best education and healthcare, as well as opportunities. When and if global warming does occur there should be sizeable benefits to these countries - however the drawbacks could be immense, with much of the world fighting for their land. Norway also has an extremely large sovereign wealth fund, especially when compared to the size of their population. For the present (the next 50 years or so), I cannot see either of these countries ever becoming involved in anything but peacekeeping missions, and I also cannot see them being invaded either. The weather is a rather large draw back - with a fairly large portion of the year being almost sunless, and an almost identical chunk being sunny almost 24 hours a day. The obvious problem with moving to either of these countries for my children's benefit is that I don't stand a chance of learning their languages beyond the very basics, which would be very rude indeed.

So what do you think? Which country is objectively the best? Where would you raise your children?

Scroll to see replies

Finland's supposedly looking very good from the statistics I've seen. Second in World Education rankings, high up on life expectancy charts, all that good stuff. But they have no fish and chip shops, so life must be awful XD
Reply 2
High life expectancy + fish and chips = non-existent. lol.
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
High life expectancy + fish and chips = non-existent. lol.

But a life without fish and chips is a life not worth living ;D
Norway.
Best quality of living in the world, beautiful country, much better way of running it, good economy... i dunno. Everything.
Does it have to be in europe? I'm very fond of the idea of Canada in a few years time...
Reply 6
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Does it have to be in europe? I'm very fond of the idea of Canada in a few years time...

Nah, it can be Mongolia if you can validate it!
Vancouver has been consistently rated as one of the most liveable cities on the planet, so Canada, more specifically British Columbia.
Reply 8
Yeah, Norway or Finland I reckon. Britain's not too bad really, but it isn't the one with the best quality of life, in my opinion. :smile:
Nope, Norway has the best quality of living in the world :smile:
Plus all the other perks... But, quality of living seems like a pretty important factor!
Original post by Elipsis
Nah, it can be Mongolia if you can validate it!

Then I'll definitely stick with Canada. Most people are put off only because they think its cold but areas like Victoria have great weather. Average income is good, unemployment is low, crime is low, education and healthcare is good... definitely somewhere I'm interested in :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Then I'll definitely stick with Canada. Most people are put off only because they think its cold but areas like Victoria have great weather. Average income is good, unemployment is low, crime is low, education and healthcare is good... definitely somewhere I'm interested in :smile:

I also like the look of Canada, but wondered if it being connected to America could be a problem. I like that it has bags and bags of space.
Reply 12
UK, NZ and Aus. They play cricket, are fairly secular, fairly safe, modern economies, fairly progressive, multicultural .etc.

The USA has too many flaws, great as it is :moon:
(edited 13 years ago)
Norway is a good shout, its people enjoy great prosperity.

I've always thought Switzerland is worth a mention, particularly because it has a strong economy and the 2 global financial capitals Zurich and Geneva in addition to the things Scandinavian countries have.

The politics is good, one of the best democratic models that exists today imo. Culturally it's also great, has three main languages depending on the region - german, french and italian. Weather is also very contrasting, cold on the east and north with Mediterranean type of weather in the south with its border to Italy. Has both the icy mountains of the Alps and tropical palm trees in Lugano.
Reply 14
I would say New Zealand would be up there with Norway.

It is just as developed as Australia/Canada/Scandinavia, etc but has milder weather, and it takes ages for anyone to get there (so there won't be any issues with neighbors), apart from Australians or Pacific islanders.

I think it's only flaw are earthquakes (which haven't been much of an issue until the recent one).

No language barrier either (although Norwegian is supposed to be the closest language to English).

Finnish is supposed to be a really difficult language to learn, so that's Finland's main flaw, as well as the winter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I would say Canada, but then again isn't it really cold there?
Reply 16
I wonder how many of you have actually been to Sweden/Finland...
Reply 17
Original post by SteveCrain
I wonder how many of you have actually been to Sweden/Finland...

Doesn't that just make it easier to be objective?
Reply 18
Original post by Elipsis
Doesn't that just make it easier to be objective?

If objective means "the one with the best stats" why is this question up for discussions?
Reply 19
Somalia - they have pirates! Imagine, there's still somewhere where you can go searching for golden plunder!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending