The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by n33t
So how many of you have actually heard about someone 'attacking' someone with the kirpan? How many cases do you see when someone has been stabbed/killed with the kirpan?

The only people that really carry it are baptised sikhs/ v religious sikhs; There aren't many around to be honest. And the people that do, aren't little 17 year old chavs who are going to stab anyone who comes in their way. It's literally JUST a symbol of sikhism - 5 K's.

Also people that do carry a Kirpan, have to be registered anyways with the local police. So no, if someone is seen with a knife and uses the 'Kirpan' for an excuse, the poice can actually find out if their registered to have one or not.

This explains why I've never heard of any kirpan-related knife crime.

Clearly the system works, why change it?
Oh, and maybe we should focus more on stopping yobs from having knives, since they actually use them. If Sikhs didn't have discipline, it would have become an issue long before now.
Reply 22
Original post by R.B.G
Do we really have to waith untill it happens? I remember hearing of a couple Sikhs charged with fighting with swords in my area a few years back. Not sure if it was a kirpan but it's a perfectly reasonable fear to suspect they could be used in an attack. As someone who favours a secular democracy don't you think that knives should not be permitted based solely on religous grounds?

I've never heard of it happening and there's been a reasonable number of Sikhs in this country for 50-60 years.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the cost of changing legislation.
Original post by Sushidelight
How many British Sikhs have killed anyone using them?

So shutup. :colonhash:

Mate that's a very stupid thing to say. Think about what you're saying.

If I was able to carry a knife (e.g. for last resort self-defence purposes), I probably would never have used it to this day either, let alone killing someone with it. That's not the damn point.

The fact is I'm not allowed to do it, but someone who carries it for 'religious purposes' can.

And let's face it, I'm sure if a Sikh (for e.g.) was carrying one, and they found themselves in some deep trouble one day... they'd be very likely to use it. That's not good.
Original post by n33t
So how many of you have actually heard about someone 'attacking' someone with the kirpan? How many cases do you see when someone has been stabbed/killed with the kirpan?

The only people that really carry it are baptised sikhs/ v religious sikhs; There aren't many around to be honest. And the people that do, aren't little 17 year old chavs who are going to stab anyone who comes in their way. It's literally JUST a symbol of sikhism - 5 K's.

Also people that do carry a Kirpan, have to be registered anyways with the local police. So no, if someone is seen with a knife and uses the 'Kirpan' for an excuse, the poice can actually find out if their registered to have one or not.

Original post by Sushidelight
How many British Sikhs have killed anyone using them?

So shutup. :colonhash:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2009/04/15/mtl-hairpin-assault-0415.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/04/07/toronto-kirpan-debate-brampton.html

Also at my school this happened, and the guy got expelled. But i'm not against keeping it. As long as one is responsible which the majority are.
(edited 13 years ago)
This thread is *******s

I'm a Sikh, and although I don't carry a kirpan we have every right to do so
nearly every baptised sikh carries a small, blunt kirpan....it's about as dangerous as my left foot

furthermore , in the UK, the kirpan has never been used to attack/kill another individual.....

Wearing the kirpan for baptised sikhs is a major part of sikhism - we were a religion born from warriors yet, funnily enough, are incredibly tolerant and have integrated very well into British society

over 100k turbaned sikh soldiers died for this country in WWII; we're earnt the right to live here and practise our faith peacefully
And as some have mentioned, part of sikhism teaches good discipline.

stop being such a buffoon - instead, focus on taking knives away from the idiots on the streets who are going to use them to cause harm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Harrifer
This explains why I've never heard of any kirpan-related knife crime.

Clearly the system works, why change it?

Well check my edit in my OP for a news story of a kirpan-related knife crime.
Reply 27
Original post by Singh993
This thread is *******s

I'm a Sikh, and although I don't carry a kirpan we have every right to do so
nearly every baptised sikh carries a small, blunt kirpan....it's about as dangerous as my left foot

furthermore , in the UK, the kirpan has never been used to attack/kill another individual.....

Wearing the kirpan for baptised sikhs is a major part of sikhism - we were a religion born from warriors yet, funnily enough, are incredibly tolerant and have integrated very well into British society

over 100k turbaned sikh soldiers died for this country in WWII; we're earnt the right to live here and practise our faith peacefully

stop being such a buffoon

For the first time I agree with you :eek:
They should be treated with the same rules and regulations as every other weapon, yes. Banned outright? Well are current weapons of the same size banned outright? If not, then no, but if they are, then yes.
Reply 29

Many more English soldier's died yet this doesn't and shouldn't give me (their ancestors) the right to carry a dagger.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Paint-a-Picture
Well in that case I think everyone should carry a small knife around, you know not anything personal just 'protection' purposes.

Okay, have you ever heard of a Sikh killing a man with a kirpan in the purpose of robbing the guy or something like that? No you haven't. A kirpan is used for when the holder is under threat and even if another innocent civilian, you don't exactly see Sikhs stabbing people randomly with it do you.
Original post by R.B.G
Many more English soldier's died yet this doesn't and shouldn't give me the right to carry a dagger.

people like you need to be educated.....it's a FUNDAMENTAL part of sikhism

"The Kirpan (English pronunciation: /k??r?p??n/; Punjabi: ?????? kirp?n) is a sword or dagger carried only by Baptized Sikhs. According to a mandatory religious commandment given by Guru Gobind Singh (the tenth Guru of Sikhism) at the Baisakhi Amrit Sanchar (a holy religious ceremony that formally baptizes a Sikh) in CE 1699, all baptised Sikhs (Khalsa) must wear a kirpan at all times, and not under any circumstances are they allowed to remove the Kirpan."

This would be like banning people from wearing a crucifix

stop being so damn ignorant
Original post by R.B.G
Many more English soldier's died yet this doesn't and shouldn't give me (their ancestors) the right to carry a dagger.

Is a dagger a religious item you tw.at?
Reply 33
As long as they're not used outside the home I think its fine.

Whilst we're on this topic, my bf's uncle was chased by an old sikh man threatning to chop his head off with that thing :lolwut:

Edit- Btw I know this was a bizzare one off incident and not representative of all Sikhs who carry these. :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
people like you need to be educated.....it's a FUNDAMENTAL part of sikhism

"The Kirpan (English pronunciation: /k??r?p??n/; Punjabi: ?????? kirp?n) is a sword or dagger carried only by Baptized Sikhs. According to a mandatory religious commandment given by Guru Gobind Singh (the tenth Guru of Sikhism) at the Baisakhi Amrit Sanchar (a holy religious ceremony that formally baptizes a Sikh) in CE 1699, all baptised Sikhs (Khalsa) must wear a kirpan at all times, and not under any circumstances are they allowed to remove the Kirpan."

This would be like banning people from wearing a crucifix

stop being so damn ignorant

Well said.
Reply 35
Original post by Warrior078
Okay, have you ever heard of a Sikh killing a man with a kirpan in the purpose of robbing the guy or something like that? No you haven't. A kirpan is used for when the holder is under threat and even if another innocent civilian, you don't exactly see Sikhs stabbing people randomly with it do you.

Here you go: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/04/07/toronto-kirpan-debate-brampton.html

Original post by Warrior078
Is a dagger a religious item you tw.at?

For Sikhs, yes.

please, please, please stfu

ITS ONE CASE

all you can do is quote one case, and use it as an example to deprive people of the 5th largest religion in the world, the right to practice their religion fully.

your arguments are so flawed it's unbelievable

pure ignorance and nothing else

Hence: foolish buffoon is foolish

good'day
Reply 37
Original post by adam_zed
lets ban the crucifix as well because it can be used to poke people and make them cry.....

Don't forget what it'll do to the poor old vampires :sad:

Thanks for the article, please provide me some more. How about as much as there are articles on "knife" crimes. Seriously this is bullsh.it, I live in an area with a lot of Sikhs and have seen many stories about knife crime in the local area, but none involving a kirpan. I know, maybe because not all Sikhs carry a kirpan, only a few who follow the Khalsa I believe it is. So please stfu.
Reply 39
please, please, please stfu

ITS ONE CASE

all you can do is quote one case, and use it as an example to deprive people of the 5th largest religion in the world, the right to practice their religion fully.

your arguments are so flawed it's unbelievable

pure ignorance and nothing else

Hence: foolish buffoon is foolish

good'day

Okay here is another one not that I should be giving your ridiculous arguement any credibility. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-11-24/delhi/28069444_1_ranbir-granthi-sword-attack

Latest

Trending

Trending