The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nakamah
I can't speak punjabi either
Reply 22
Same with me and Arabic. :frown:

I could speak it when I was young but learning English made me gradually forget Arabic. :cry2:
KUTI. Tere baap kohn hai?

Just kidding. :biggrin: I'm only starting to speak it properly myself and I'm 22. It's only hard if you concentrate on how bad you sound at the beginning. Just keep trying, and remember that a month from now, you'll be much better at it. Just think where you'll be a year from now. :smile:
Original post by meenu89
I can say Aloo and other words.
Doesn't that mean potato? :redface:

Or is that in Hindi? I learn best through my stomach.
(edited 13 years ago)
Don't worry, I can't either. You should learn some Punjabo first, it eases you into Punjabi. :smile:
Reply 26
I speak it, and I'm learning Mandarin, u jelly OP? yeh u jelly
Reply 27
Leh ai koi gal ah :tongue: lol

Well if you can understand bits that should be an advantage, try speaking it with your family when you're at home and gradually you will learn it... albeit it will take time but you'll get there :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
Yes i'm a Hindu Punjabi but the thing is i cant speak it. My parents are telling me to learn it but its so hard and that i dont have time to do it ( as i am in med and have alot of work to do!!) All my friends are telling me to learn it... i'm 18 btw! I just dont know what to do ( its hard to learn a new language when you hit 18).. I can understand it abit but i cant speak it.

I'm from Pakistan and speak Urdu/Hindi as well as Punjabi. To be honest, I would say (think) that speaking Hindi would do it, too. It doesn't need to be Punjabi does it??

For learning Hindi: Just watch Bollywood films. I know some tamil friends at my college who learnt Hindi by watching bollywood movies. Or just attempt to talk it with your family/friends whenever possible. It's extremely difficult to learn it and having learnt French, Spanish, Italian, and Dutch, I believe that Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi is a language that is extremely hard to learn. The grammar and all is quite difficult. There aren't many fixed rules in conjugations for example, so its based on practice and experience.
It's not that big a deal, I don't think. We speak Mirpuri Punjabi or something like that(well, we actually mainly speak English at home) I can understand most things, and I can sort of string a (broken) sentence together ie: sorta like broken English, but instead broken Punjabi. The language isn't a necessity IMO. Also, if you're from India, then one of the main languages there is English(after Hindi of course), but if you're from somewhere else in S. Asia, then you may need help :smile:
Reply 30
mate ... TENU SHRAM NEI OUNDEI ?
Reply 31
Original post by kMt
sonie lol

lol made me laugh. :biggrin:
Reply 32
Me neither.
Surely it's not the end of the world if you don't learn it right?! Are you ever going to have to speak it?

Just tell them exactly what you told us, that it's a really hard language to learn & you don't have the time to learn it what with your meds & everything. **** em!
Reply 34
Original post by jismith1989
Doesn't that mean potato? :redface:

Or is that in Hindi? I learn best through my stomach.

'Potato' in both.
Reply 35
I know dirty punjabi phrases. :wink:

For starters:

Spoiler

Reply 36
Original post by a_t
I speak it, and I'm learning Mandarin, u jelly OP? yeh u jelly

Mandarin da bacha. Bakwaas bandh kar!
Reply 37
Original post by Hamesh
I know dirty punjabi phrases. :wink:

For starters:

Spoiler

What on earth does that mean?

I went to work with you.... then what? :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Original post by Uzzy?
What on earth does that mean?

I went to work with you.... then what? :s-smilie:

Good. :colone:
I love the way punjabi sounds twadaaaa ki haaal hai mundeyaa lol .