The Student Room Group

Applying for DSA - should this be mentioned on my letter?

I sent off my student finance application a couple of days ago and got the standard 'welcome to student finance, you're getting £x a term and your university is getting £x a year' letter through the post today. I only applied for the non-means-tested loan, but I did indicate when doing the preliminary questions that I also wanted to apply for DSA (I have Asperger's Syndrome).

Problem is, the only types of financial support listed on my official letter are the non-means-tested loan and the tuition fee loan. There's nothing about DSA. Is this normal? Should they also have a bit on it saying 'we're going to assess you for DSA at a later date', and have I accidentally managed not to apply for DSA or something, or do I just need to do nothing?

I know this is a pretty simple question, but school seems to know nothing about applying for DSA and I don't know anyone who gets it, hence my asking :smile: Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by kerily
I sent off my student finance application a couple of days ago and got the standard 'welcome to student finance, you're getting £x a term and your university is getting £x a year' letter through the post today. I only applied for the non-means-tested loan, but I did indicate when doing the preliminary questions that I also wanted to apply for DSA (I have Asperger's Syndrome).

Problem is, the only types of financial support listed on my official letter are the non-means-tested loan and the tuition fee loan. There's nothing about DSA. Is this normal? Should they also have a bit on it saying 'we're going to assess you for DSA at a later date', and have I accidentally managed not to apply for DSA or something, or do I just need to do nothing?

I know this is a pretty simple question, but school seems to know nothing about applying for DSA and I don't know anyone who gets it, hence my asking :smile: Thanks!

Hey there - DSA is a separate form. Do call them up, see if you've ticked a box or not, and if not get them to put the form in the post to you.
Reply 2
Original post by chai wallah
Hey there - DSA is a separate form. Do call them up, see if you've ticked a box or not, and if not get them to put the form in the post to you.

Ah fantastic. Should I have received/filled in a separate form for DSA, then? Might they post one at a later date? I did tick the box, I'm pretty sure, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself :tongue:

But thanks - I'll get on the phone to them tomorrow :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kerily
Ah fantastic. Should I have received/filled in a separate form for DSA, then? Might they post one at a later date? I did tick the box, I'm pretty sure, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself :tongue:

But thanks - I'll get on the phone to them tomorrow :smile:

Actually I've just had a look... I don't know if it's different for you, as your application might be at a different stage, since you've received your letter (I haven't, but it has been sent!). But:

- Once I've logged in to the student finance website there's a table headed My Applications, with my uni and course details in - in the right-hand column of that there's a link which says 'View your application, status and next steps'

- Following the link, one of the first things on the page is loans/grants; under those is 'You have indicated that you also want to apply for Disabled Student Allowances.' If yours says that too, hopefully you should just be able to sit tight and wait for more news from the SLC. I'm afraid I have no idea when in the year the DSA forms might come though!
Reply 4
Original post by chai wallah
Actually I've just had a look... I don't know if it's different for you, as your application might be at a different stage, since you've received your letter (I haven't, but it has been sent!). But:

- Once I've logged in to the student finance website there's a table headed My Applications, with my uni and course details in - in the right-hand column of that there's a link which says 'View your application, status and next steps'

- Following the link, one of the first things on the page is loans/grants; under those is 'You have indicated that you also want to apply for Disabled Student Allowances.' If yours says that too, hopefully you should just be able to sit tight and wait for more news from the SLC. I'm afraid I have no idea when in the year the DSA forms might come though!

I tried to rep you personally but 'You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later' so I'm afraid you'll have to content yourself with posrep on your post :frown: But it turns out that I did indicate that I wanted to apply for DSA! So I'm guessing it's just a waiting game.

Thankyou ever so much - you've really stopped me worrying :biggrin: (A crafty bit of profile-stalking tells me you're off to King's, Cambridge next year, by the way? I hope it's fantastic for you - if all goes well, I'll be off to Emma :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by kerily
I tried to rep you personally but 'You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later' so I'm afraid you'll have to content yourself with posrep on your post :frown: But it turns out that I did indicate that I wanted to apply for DSA! So I'm guessing it's just a waiting game.

Thankyou ever so much - you've really stopped me worrying :biggrin: (A crafty bit of profile-stalking tells me you're off to King's, Cambridge next year, by the way? I hope it's fantastic for you - if all goes well, I'll be off to Emma :smile:)

Hurray! And...
AMAZING! Fingers crossed for you! Hang on... *hops to profile*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending