The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thisisnew
It wasn't heat of the moment. It was a premeditated attack by a group of people disgruntled at the fact an excommunicated preacher was scheduled to lead prayers. I'm sure the nutters willing to stab him over that would have used a knife from their kitchen/toolbox etc if they didn't have Kirpans.

You seem to be making the arguement that it is no different to any other weapon. I agree with that and that's why I propose it should be banned.
Original post by MishMash1
People here don't realise, the point is even if you don't think it's likely that it could be used as a weapon, the fact still remains that the burka is no where near as dangerous as the kirpan, yet its seen as if anyone with a burka is an extremist and terrorist!

This.
I cant believe so many have voted No.
Reply 63
Original post by Paint-a-Picture
I cant believe so many have voted No.

It's interesting how so many have voted no. I would have thought people would be more worried but then again we don't really have any hysteria about Sikhs being dangerous so I guess that aids the perception of it not being a problem.
Reply 64
You want to ban them, but not the knives chavs go around stabbing people with, am I right? :rolleyes:
Reply 65
Original post by No Man
You want to ban them, but not the knives chavs go around stabbing people with, am I right? :rolleyes:

Chavs do not have their own version of the kipaan and would be arrested if found with a knife. It is a Sikh's religious status which allows them to carry one. Look at the 2 sources below

They are actually allowed to carry these weapons in the UK
Source

They are even allowed to carry them into Schools
Source
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Only Baptised very religious Sikhs can wear them. Not every Sikh. In our holy book it states to use it only when diplomacy cannot help. i.e self defense. Sikhs have been able to wear Kirpans for decades in this country. Why do you think there are hardly any news reports on attacks or the actual kirpan ? Because Sikhs understand the responsibility and not to use it like a chav.
Has there been any UK attacks with the Kirpaan? No.

End off.
Reply 68
Just make it legal for everyone to carry a sword, but it has to be over a certain length and not concealed. I'd wear mine around all day, that'd be so tits. I support the Sikh right to wear their swords . . . BUT I WANT TO AS WELL, DAMN IT! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by 2ndClass
1) That's one badass looking blade
2) I haven't seen a single Sikh person carry it
3) Even if they did, I hardly think they'll randomly stab me.

You'd be surprised! I was randomly stabbed by five separate Sikhs just this very morning!
Leave them be, they're cool :bhangra:
Reply 71
Original post by G550NDH
Only Baptised very religious Sikhs can wear them. Not every Sikh. In our holy book it states to use it only when diplomacy cannot help. i.e self defense. Sikhs have been able to wear Kirpans for decades in this country. Why do you think there are hardly any news reports on attacks or the actual kirpan ? Because Sikhs understand the responsibility and not to use it like a chav.

Sikh children are allowed to carry the Kirpaan into school. Individuals of that age are not responsible enough to be trusted with a kirpaan as far as I am concerned.

I'll admit the numbers of attacks are few but that doesn't mean they should be legal. Many weapons have a low number of attacks associated with them - this is not the criteria for whether we should permit a weapon or not.

Frankly I don't care if it is only the baptised Sikhs, in fact in these times it scares me more if anything. The last thing I want is a knife-wielding fundamentalist.
Original post by R.B.G
Recently there has been a controversy over women wearing Burkhas and many have proposed to ban it. A proposal I fully support. Yet nothing is ever said about a much more dangerous religious item.

The Kirpaan is a giant daggar which poses a far greater security threat than the flippin Burkha. According to a mandatory religious commandment given by Guru Gobind Singh (the tenth Guru of Sikhism) at the Baisakhi Amrit Sanchar (a holy religious ceremony that formally baptizes a Sikh) in CE 1699, all baptised Sikhs (Khalsa) must wear a kirpan at all times. The kirpan is both a "defensive" weapon and a symbol.

Pictured above is a Kirpan (dagger)

The U.K legality on this issue:

They are actually allowed to carry these weapons in the UK
Source

They are even allowed to carry them into Schools
Source

Should they be banned?
Discuss....

[EDIT] A few people are claiming they have never heard of a kirpan attack as if it was some kind of defence for this absurd law so I have posted a news story below which shows it being used in an attack. It left a 12 centimetre wound for those questioning how much damage it can actually do.
Source

I can't believe the hypocricy of this. On TSR there are many supporters for banning the Burkha regardless of religious observance yet not many are applying the same standards to the Kirpan

Perhaps I am one of few, but I agree. The kirpan should be banned.
Oi man, allow turbans and kirpans.

I thought a kirpan was a type of turban anyway. I learnt something from this thread.
Reply 74
Original post by S129439
Perhaps I am one of few, but I agree. The kirpan should be banned.

Actually your in the majority if you check the poll at the top but Jesus it is close.
Original post by Warrior078
They aren't used as weapons, only for defence purposes. Schools? My old school wouldn't allow Sikhs to bring in a big kirpan, only a small one that wouldn't cause much harm. So stop bitching you little faggot.

Traditionally they aren't, but then that's pretty meaningless. If Sikhs can carry defensive weapons, everyone should be able to.

As I am strongly against weapon ownership - let alone carrying it in public - I think they should be treated the same as anyone else with a knife. (I assume it's concealed when they carry it? If they keep it concealed then they'd be able to easily get away with it anyway).

And before someone says I'm against it because it's from a "foreign religion" - I'm not. I'm pretty sure I'm more tolerant than most towards religious practises like Burkhas, turbans etc. - just not weapons.
Original post by Iron Mike
Actually your in the majority if you check the poll at the top but Jesus it is close.

oh fair enough. can't believe so many people voted no to be honest. it is blatant hypocrisy and double standards. awful in any other circumstances but apparently fine here :lolwut:
Reply 77
Well, since OP has decided to use a case from Toronto, wearing the niqaab isn't isolated to Muslim followers too, also some orthodox Jewish female followers in Israel wear them.
Reply 78
Original post by R.B.G
Well check my edit in my OP for a news story of a kirpan-related knife crime.

I don't know what the jurisdiction on kirpans is in Ontario. As an earlier poster pointed out, in this country it requires some kind of registration, so police know who's carrying them around. Note the absence of kirpan related crimes in the UK.

Seriously, what is your problem with Sikhs? Weren't you a Muslim not long ago or something? Maybe I'm misremembering, but you kept on prattling on about Malcolm X as far as I recall.
Reply 79
Original post by Harrifer
I don't know what the jurisdiction on kirpans is in Ontario. As an earlier poster pointed out, in this country it requires some kind of registration, so police know who's carrying them around. Note the absence of kirpan related crimes in the UK.

Well in the OP I posted the link to the UK government website which states the laws on carrying knives, so you can check it out, it isn't very long. So what, if they have to be registered that doesn't mean no one is going to use a kirpan to attack. They probably have to be registered in Canada too. This isn't going to stop some 15 year old Sikh from Handsworth killing someone. Or the weapon being taken away from the owner or any one of a hundred potentially disasterous things. There is a reason you are not allowed knives (with the absurd exception of religious observance).

Original post by Harrifer
Seriously, what is your problem with Sikhs? Weren't you a Muslim not long ago or something? Maybe I'm misremembering, but you kept on prattling on about Malcolm X as far as I recall.

I have nothing against Sikhs. I have something against the legislation allowing them to carry life-threatening knives. I was never a Muslim; not a big fan of Islam.

Didn't you support the ban on the Burkha? If so is not hypocritical of you to not support a ban on the kirpan?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending