The Student Room Group

Sussex or Essex for straight Economics BSc?

I have both these offers and I am confused on what to put down as my insurance.

Sussex - ABB
Essex - 320 points from 3 A levels and an AS...so I can basically achieve ABCc

I am aware Essex has a strong Economics department and much better research. However, would you be as employable than if you went to Sussex? Also, I didn't like the feel of Essex and the environment didn't seem all that appealing...whereas Sussex seems more of an attractive and lively campus and has a better overall reputation as a uni.
Reply 1
To be honest, go where ur heart is set on.

I see you've already done your research & you are right about Essex's Economics department being a really strong 1 with quality of research on top of that + there are lots of interesting modules in their economics courses if you could take a sneek peak at what it entails.

In my opinion, graduating from either Essex or Sussex would not in anyway hinder you chances of success in the future. I don't fink employers would pick someone from Sussex over someone Essex especially for a course like Economics where both Unis economics department are one of the top in the country.

At the end of the day, you have been to both unis and it seems like your mind is set on going to Sussex.You dont want to be somewhere for a whole entire 3 years and not enjoying anything it offers, especially if it demotivates you to focus on your studies. So OP its completely up to you!!! :dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by *Hakz*
To be honest, go where ur heart is set on.

I see you've already done your research & you are right about Essex's Economics department being a really strong 1 with quality of research on top of that + there are lots of interesting modules in their economics courses if you could take a sneek peak at what it entails.

In my opinion, graduating from either Essex or Sussex would not in anyway hinder you chances of success in the future. I don't fink employers would pick someone from Sussex over someone Essex especially for a course like Economics where both Unis economics department are one of the top in the country.

At the end of the day, you have been to both unis and it seems like your mind is set on going to Sussex.You dont want to be somewhere for a whole entire 3 years and not enjoying anything it offers, especially if it demotivates you to focus on your studies. So OP its completely up to you!!! :dontknow:

Hmm thanks for the help...but I still feel that Sussex has a greater overall reputation than Essex. I mean I know that Essex has a stronger Eco department...however do the employers know this? And yeah I think I do feel a bit more set on Sussex but then it all comes down to achieving grades as well...Essex would be a sensible back-up because I have loads of retakes this summer but then again I'd rather put in a bit more effort to make sure I definitely get the minimum ABB in order to get in to Sussex.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MUJ17
Hmm thanks for the help...but I still feel that Sussex has a greater overall reputation than Essex. I mean I know that Essex has a stronger Eco department...however do the employers know this? And yeah I think I do feel a bit more set on Sussex but then it all comes down to achieving grades as well...Essex would be a sensible back-up because I have loads of retakes this summer but then again I'd rather put in a bit more effort to make sure I definitely get the minimum ABB in order to get in to Sussex.

Talking about reputation - the only way it actually applies differs. A typical example is comparing LSE or Oxbridge to say South Bank uni, then clearly we know there is no competition without a doubt as LSE & Oxbridge dominates & wll always attract better applicants

But when reputation is hard to even distinguish between Essex & Sussex. Employers would be looking for other factors such as work experience, personality e.t.c. Dont let the phase of the 'reputation' confuse you in this case. Go wherever u fink u'll feel at home!!!

You basically need the same grades for both unis anywayz so i would advice you 2 jus try work towards achieving your ABB grade & in your case yeah u should firm Sussex & insure Essex :borat:

Im firming Essex though btw :smile:
Original post by *Hakz*
Im firming Essex though btw :smile:

I am also firming Essex, but for Politics. :smile:

Original post by MUJ17

In your case, you seem to like Sussex a lot so I would firm Sussex and insure Essex. Both are in 1994 research group so they aren't very different, to be honest. Plus, the entry requirement is lower for Essex (in terms of points) so it is reasonable to firm sussex.

I heard that a lot of people think Sussex is more reputable, it's probably ranked higher overall. But I personally think subject table is more important. I chose Essex over all my other choice (who are more reputable overall) because it's best for my course.

I think employers know which uni is best for relevant course. BUT since Essex and Sussex aren't that much different, they would look into your experiences or something like that if you were to compete with someone who goes to either.

However, you like Sussex. So, firm it and make the grade and go there. Going to either won't make any different especially when both are amazing for the course. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by street.lovin'
I am also firming Essex, but for Politics. :smile:

Yay :biggrin:. Im firming for Economics as the modules look really really interesting compared to any other institution although (i might be wrong). Would be nice though if we both go.

In your case, you seem to like Sussex a lot so I would firm Sussex and insure Essex. Both are in 1994 research group so they aren't very different, to be honest. Plus, the entry requirement is lower for Essex (in terms of points) so it is reasonable to firm sussex.

I heard that a lot of people think Sussex is more reputable, it's probably ranked higher overall. But I personally think subject table is more important. I chose Essex over all my other choice (who are more reputable overall) because it's best for my course.

I think employers know which uni is best for relevant course. BUT since Essex and Sussex aren't that much different, they would look into your experiences or something like that if you were to compete with someone who goes to either.

However, you like Sussex. So, firm it and make the grade and go there. Going to either won't make any different especially when both are amazing for the course.

Couldn't agree more with this comment :congrats:
Original post by *Hakz*
]Yay :biggrin:. Im firming for Economics as the modules look really really interesting compared to any other institution although (i might be wrong). Would be nice though if we both go.

Yep, it will be nice. I really am scared of going there not knowing anyone. Making friends are quite hard for me because I don't talk much unless I really feel comfortable with the person.
Will feel like being in Year 7 again when you started Secondary School knowing hardly anybody. :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I get what you're saying guys that it shouldn't make much difference. Thing is I have an AAB offer for Manchester...which I'd like to firm because it was very very competitive this year and I got lucky with an offer from them...it's also a Russel group uni so the employment prospect is very strong. However, if I don't manage to achieve those grades I'll have to fall back on either Essex/Sussex...I will spend a bit more time on thinking about my decision though..
Original post by MUJ17
I get what you're saying guys that it shouldn't make much difference. Thing is I have an AAB offer for Manchester...which I'd like to firm because it was very very competitive this year and I got lucky with an offer from them...it's also a Russel group uni so the employment prospect is very strong. However, if I don't manage to achieve those grades I'll have to fall back on either Essex/Sussex...I will spend a bit more time on thinking about my decision though..

Oh, I completely forgot that you want to know which one to insure and not which one to firm. I am so sorry I misunderstood.

In your case, I would recommend you to go to Sussex. That is because you want to be there, you like the atmostphere at the university. By insuring Sussex, you will be guaranteed to do the course that you love at the university that you like even if you dont make the grade for Manchester.

That's all advice I can give. Take your time, but reply before May deadline. :smile:

I already made the decision and I am trying to apply for Studen Finance right now. It's so confusing, I hate DirectGov website. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by MUJ17

Original post by MUJ17

Mate, u shuld feel priviledged with the offer from Manchester so i'll advice you firm that & insure Sussex due to what u loved about it wen u visited
Reply 10
Oh, I completely forgot that you want to know which one to insure and not which one to firm. I am so sorry I misunderstood.

In your case, I would recommend you to go to Sussex. That is because you want to be there, you like the atmostphere at the university. By insuring Sussex, you will be guaranteed to do the course that you love at the university that you like even if you dont make the grade for Manchester.

That's all advice I can give. Take your time, but reply before May deadline. :smile:

I already made the decision and I am trying to apply for Studen Finance right now. It's so confusing, I hate DirectGov website. :frown:

Yep I think I will just do that...I didn't get in to uni last year but I filled out Student Finance forms but didn't confirm anything at the end and for some reason I got a letter today asking if I want student finance for my second year...so flipping confused when I didn't even go to uni last year!!!
Reply 11

I know right, that website actually makes me feel lyk giving up on applying for student finance. Dont know why it cnt be any easier
Original post by MUJ17
Yep I think I will just do that...I didn't get in to uni last year but I filled out Student Finance forms but didn't confirm anything at the end and for some reason I got a letter today asking if I want student finance for my second year...so flipping confused when I didn't even go to uni last year!!!

Also, the bad news is insuring Sussex means you won't get to see me ! :P

I know, I am a bit self centered.. XD

Oh my god, have you contacted them? If not, I think you should. It might prevent you from getting 3 years tuition fee loans because it thinks you already got the first year. :O
Original post by *Hakz*
I know right, that website actually makes me feel lyk giving up on applying for student finance. Dont know why it cnt be any easier

Exactly, all the drop down list and questions they ask are annoying. Sometimes it came up as an errer page as well. So nothign that I typed was saved. It's a crap website. It makes me feel stupid as well because it's the first and only website that I had absolutely no clue how to use.
Reply 14
Also, the bad news is insuring Sussex means you won't get to see me ! :P

I know, I am a bit self centered.. XD

Oh my god, have you contacted them? If not, I think you should. It might prevent you from getting 3 years tuition fee loans because it thinks you already got the first year. :O

I know it's a shame...and I don't know how they possibly could think I'm attending the second year when I didn't receive the maintenance loan...the uni would've rejected my student fee since I didn't get in and also I didn't sign the declaration form or post it off...hmm fishy...I'll have to get this sorted :s-smilie:
Original post by MUJ17
I know it's a shame...and I don't know how they possibly could think I'm attending the second year when I didn't receive the maintenance loan...the uni would've rejected my student fee since I didn't get in and also I didn't sign the declaration form or post it off...hmm fishy...I'll have to get this sorted :s-smilie:

Yep, get it sorted. A lot of organisations like this are very loose. They cannot keep updated with what happen so they give out wrong message.

Think how cool it would have been if you got the maintainace loan into your account last year but you didn't even go to uni ! XD
Reply 16
I know...that would've been amazing! Loool
Reply 17
the only way is essex
pun intended.
Overall I think it has to be said Essex's department has got a bigger reputation in Economics, it has been a consistent high scorer on RAE ratings for Economics for two decades. It also has a much bigger department than Sussex which is quite small. Essex is very good across the social sciences, in research ratings it hits with the big fish, Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and so on, despite being a lower profile institution all round.

Having said that I think the reality is there won't be any 'employability' difference from these two institutions, and if you prefer the atmosphere of Sussex then I would say go with that. I know a bit about Sussex because I have got contacts down there and I've got a good impression of it. I think its an underrated department because its small but they are quite involved in policy work in international trade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending