The Student Room Group

Approximate UKCAT needed for King's College London

Basically, I will be applying for 2012 undergrad entry and I REALLYYYYY want to go to KCL.
I know they balance UKCAT against your GCSE grades (as mentioned on their entry requirements page).

I got 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE (My two As were maths and french)

So people who applied there and have got an offer,what sort of GCSEs did you have and what was ur UKCAT score? :smile:

I'm the sort of guy who works really hard for exams and this whole "aptitude" UKCAT hype is really bugging me.

I know I will need quite a high UKCAT :rolleyes: but any guesses what I should be aiming for?
obviously will be trying my best :tongue:

Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have a look at this page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medics_and_Applicants_Profiles#King.27s_College_London

Kings balance the UKCAT score against GCSE's - a higher score in one will offset a low score in another. Since you have 8 A*, I think in my opinion that a score of around a 700ish should guarantee you an interview. However, you need to bear in mind that the UKCAT required changes year-on-year depending on competition, so there is a still a chance that even with 700+ you would not be successful in getting an interview.
Reply 2
last year it was 675, but there is anecdotal evidence that some people with strong grades got it with less than that
Reply 3
Original post by rudyrabbit
last year it was 675, but there is anecdotal evidence that some people with strong grades got it with less than that

I don't understand how there can be a figure published? :confused: The individual UKCAT score required is personal and depends on a person's number of A*'s at GCSE - am I missing something?!
I had an interview this year with 9 A*s and a ukcat of 640 :smile:

although if you look at the kcl thread for this year, interviews don't always seem to have been given out on these two things. For one many better qualified applicants than myself have still heard nothing.

Take from that what you will.
Reply 5
Original post by wabbajack123
I had an interview this year with 9 A*s and a ukcat of 640 :smile:

although if you look at the kcl thread for this year, interviews don't always seem to have been given out on these two things. For one many better qualified applicants than myself have still heard nothing.

As in people with a higher number of A*'s and a higher UKCAT not heard/have received rejections?

Uh oh! :eek:

So what do you think were the additional criterea? any guesses?
Original post by Beska
As in people with a higher number of A*'s and a higher UKCAT not heard/have received rejections?

Yep :frown: it's all seeming rather desolate over there atm, many many people have withdrawn out of sheer impatience haha I on the other hand seem to be the only person to have been rejected post interview :biggrin:
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
So what do you think were the additional criterea? any guesses?

t'is a mystery I'm afraid :tongue: although with a 30% rise in admissions this year for medicine, who can be surprised that it's a bit... random :/
Reply 9
Yep :frown: it's all seeming rather desolate over there atm, many many people have withdrawn out of sheer impatience haha I on the other hand seem to be the only person to have been rejected post interview :biggrin:

Birmingham looking for more than just 9 A*'s.... King's looking for more than A*/UKCAT... I don't know what to think anymore... :no:
thanks for the help guys :smile:
true,the admission's process seems to be a bit manic!
just hope i pull through during my cycle! haha.
Original post by Beska
Birmingham looking for more than just 9 A*'s.... King's looking for more than A*/UKCAT... I don't know what to think anymore... :no:

it's a strange strange world nowadays. Maybes it's just because of the drastic rise in applicants? It might go back to normal next year :smile:
Reply 12
A student at my school (now: 1st year at GKT) had 100% A* at GCSE and 600 UKCAT.

I think you'll do fine as long as you get 650+ (probably even less ... but preferably more, just in case) :P
Reply 13
it's a strange strange world nowadays. Maybes it's just because of the drastic rise in applicants? It might go back to normal next year :smile:

Normal? This is normal :colondollar:
Original post by notepad
Normal? This is normal :colondollar:

very true :biggrin: I detest what A100 has done to me this year :tongue:
Reply 15
I have the same grades as OP, funnily enough my A's were in Maths and French too :p:

I have a UKCAT of 665 and currently nothing from Kings. I would say either a UKCAT of 700+ or 9A* gives you a really good chance of interview.
Reply 16
Original post by Beska

i know someone with 8A*s and 830 UKCAT, hasnt heard anything from kings

serious
Reply 17
Original post by bertstare
i know someone with 8A*s and 830 UKCAT, hasnt heard anything from kings

serious

My whole world image is literally falling apart.
Reply 18
Original post by bertstare
830 UKCAT

humbug!
Reply 19
830 and still waiting.. thats really strange.. But you never know. There might be that one thing on a personal statement or so which put him off... who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending