The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Kandrewz
Yeah definitely no doubt that I'm going to meet some awesome people over there. It's always a little scary though to think about leaving home because I'm from Trinidad in the Caribbean. Most of my friends will be back home while I'm at cambridge! No worries though! C'est la Vie! Thanks for the pep talk tho :tongue:

Aw don't worry, I'm from very far away too, and I'll be thousands of miles away from home. So my point is, theere'll be lots of people in a similar position to us :smile: Are you excited? :biggrin: Which college and which course, if you don't mind me askin :smile:
Reply 1241
Original post by kpatb
Aw don't worry, I'm from very far away too, and I'll be thousands of miles away from home. So my point is, theere'll be lots of people in a similar position to us :smile: Are you excited? :biggrin: Which college and which course, if you don't mind me askin :smile:

I'm going to Churchill College and doing Medicine!!! I'm more than excited!!!!! How about you?
Reply 1242
Original post by Kandrewz
I'm going to Churchill College and doing Medicine!!! I'm more than excited!!!!! How about you?

Did you apply to Churchill or get pooled there? One of my friends applied to Churchill for Engineering but got pooled and then rejected :frown:
I've got an offer from Christ'st for Chemical Engineering via Physical Natural Sciences (so basically I'm studying NatSci for the first year)
I'm SO excited! :biggrin:
Original post by l4ith
I'm really excited :biggrin: I can't wait!!

Best academics I've ever seen...any tips? LOL
Original post by Jing_jing
I haven't heard from LSE yet and I'd really like to go there too :smile:

:biggrin: I shall take you up on that when I've re-emerged from my pile of geography essays!

Hey,

Since you are applying to Cambridge for maths and others for E+M, how did you structure your PS? Did you talk about maths mostly or economics?
Original post by Extricated
Hey,

Since you are applying to Cambridge for maths and others for E+M, how did you structure your PS? Did you talk about maths mostly or economics?

I split it 50/50 Maths and Economics, they didn't seem to mind, didn't mention it at all.
I split it 50/50 Maths and Economics, they didn't seem to mind, didn't mention it at all.

Do you feel your PS had a negative effect on your Cambridge offer?
HEYA GUYS!! :biggrin:

Does anyone have an offer to study PPS at Sidney?? I've been trying to find the other 3/4 people for ages with no luck "/ If anyone else knows them please message me :smile: Also, who else is doing PPS out there??

And a side...I'm bringing my horse up to Cambridge with me. I don't suppose anyone else is or if anyone is planning on playing polo or joing the team at Haggis Farm??
Original post by tehforum
Do you feel your PS had a negative effect on your Cambridge offer?

Nah, my horrible offer is totally down to appalling performance at interview.
Nah, my horrible offer is totally down to appalling performance at interview.

I've seen you post a bit about this elsewhere so forgive me if I've missed something, but surely an appalling performance would mean no offer at all? Surely it would make more sense to give a sensible offer to someone be it yourself or some other candidate, or is this something the mathematicians do? Although I assumed the silly offer system was done via STEP rather than more A*s
Original post by comrade_jon
I've seen you post a bit about this elsewhere so forgive me if I've missed something, but surely an appalling performance would mean no offer at all? Surely it would make more sense to give a sensible offer to someone be it yourself or some other candidate, or is this something the mathematicians do? Although I assumed the silly offer system was done via STEP rather than more A*s

I think that perhaps what they did was shortlist a couple of Maths applicants who had decent academics and didn't totally mess up my interviews (there were a couple of questions in mine that I literally had to be talked through, and I had other questions that went well) and gave them all a ridiculously high offer. Maybe it's a 'perhaps they could cope, lets see with the STEP exam thing'.

And both, A*A*A*S1
Reply 1251
Anyone here got an offer for Sidney Sussex? :ciao:
Reply 1252
Original post by kpatb
Did you apply to Churchill or get pooled there? One of my friends applied to Churchill for Engineering but got pooled and then rejected :frown:
I've got an offer from Christ'st for Chemical Engineering via Physical Natural Sciences (so basically I'm studying NatSci for the first year)
I'm SO excited! :biggrin:

Calm down dear.
Reply 1253
Original post by dd4483
Calm down dear.

:rolleyes:
No.
I won't necessarily be this excited when I get there and the work hits me like a ton of bricks but for now, I'm going to stay excited :tongue:
Original post by Ca11ie
Anyone here got an offer for Sidney Sussex? :ciao:

Yay!! A fellow Sidnian!! I applied for PPS with an offer of AAA :smile:

What are you studying...and how did your recent exams go??
I think that perhaps what they did was shortlist a couple of Maths applicants who had decent academics and didn't totally mess up my interviews (there were a couple of questions in mine that I literally had to be talked through, and I had other questions that went well) and gave them all a ridiculously high offer. Maybe it's a 'perhaps they could cope, lets see with the STEP exam thing'.

And both, A*A*A*S1

Ah fair enough. Good luck :smile: it's certainly possible, just an eyewatering amount of work to do lol
Original post by comrade_jon

Colleges tend to give bizarrely hard offers to a candidate whom they're unsure about - they never give an offer you can't feasibly make but will give ones such as this to a candidate who they aren't sure about. The idea is that they have the potential to make the offer so if they're good enough, they will make it and the college made the right call. If the candidate doesn't make it, the college will assume the candidate didn't have the potential after all.

(That being said, it's not always bad; out of the lawyers in my year at my college, the person who received the hardest offer - AAA in Singaporean exams with a distinction in at least one exam - is also the smartest of us and came 2nd in the year last year. Sometimes they do it just because you can make it)
Reply 1257
Original post by SamAndrews1
Yay!! A fellow Sidnian!! I applied for PPS with an offer of AAA :smile:

What are you studying...and how did your recent exams go??

So glad to find someone else!! XD I know that there'll only be one other student on my course, but I was starting to worry that there was no one else in my year! =L

Vet medicine, my offer's AAA. Since I live in Scotland, I'm doing Advanced Highers not A levels, so I didn't have exams recently. This year I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Spanish. How were your exams?
Reply 1258
Original post by kpatb
:rolleyes:
No.
I won't necessarily be this excited when I get there and the work hits me like a ton of bricks but for now, I'm going to stay excited :tongue:

Exactly how I feel! =L
Original post by Ziffachan
Hi guyz, any John's/MML offers?

Hi thereeeee :smile: no idea why it's taken me this long to see your post, but I was doing some procrastination and I stumbled across it. I've an offer for MML at St John's - French and Spanish ab initio :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending