The Student Room Group

For people with more than 8 A*s

Can a person be a genius and yet be social?

Can a person be smart and yet have an all rounded life?

NOW IF YOU ARE GOOD TIME MANAGERS:

1. How much hours of revision do you do daily (honestly) ?
2. How do you make up time for Socializing?
3. Do you sleep during the day?

People express their views and lets get in discussion!

Scroll to see replies

Depends
obviously

like this guy in Pakistan who got 23 as in A level ,he was also the president of a music club and students came to him to learn music tips :/
Reply 2
Having at least 8A*s does not make you a genius.
Reply 3
Original post by F1Addict
Having at least 8A*s does not make you a genius.

This.

GCSEs are a walk in the park compared to A-levels.
But owning Black Ops opponents does \m/
I got 10 Cs but I really win at life.
Reply 6
I got 7 and that was with minimal work. I spent most of my 'study leave' asleep lol
8A* really doesn't make you a genius at all, it can be done through hard work and/or natural talent. If you start early, 8a* is achievable with a very good social life.
Agree with the others, you can't judge whether someone's a 'genius' based on GCSE's, doing well is more about revision and well- roundedness, not being truly exceptional in a particular area.

As for revision, I worked hard, probably did about 4/5 hours a day over study leave although I know lots of people who did more. Struggling to find the same motivation for AS :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by rangu2011
Can a person be a genius and yet be social?

Can a person be smart and yet have an all rounded life?

NOW IF YOU ARE GOOD TIME MANAGERS:

1. How much hours of revision do you do daily (honestly) ?
2. How do you make up time for Socializing?
3. Do you sleep during the day?

People express their views and lets get in discussion!

A*s at GCSE aren't a big achievement... now before I get negged let me say that A* GCSEs show that the person put in effort early in their life and that even unsuccessful people have to put in the same effort into other areas of life when the time comes. I don't do any revision until 2-3weeks pre-exam when it gets up to 2hours. The key is overcoming the areas you struggle on in subjects, which can easily be done in lesson time. Make up time for socializing? Never felt that academia, socializing and sport ever really clashed time-wise. I sleep during the day sometime, yah, to make up for hours wasted on fb (or something similar) at night :smile:

OP, you clearly have a misconception that people who excel in academia fail at other areas. Couldn't be further from the truth! In fact, socializing & sport strengthen confidence & time management which can lead to those A*s. Most people you'll find at Oxbridge are very good communicators and all-rounded people :biggrin: (source: Uncle from Oxf & family friend's daughter at Emma studying law)
Reply 10
At GCSE its easy. People will say later on in life the phrase "Work hard play hard" alot. And it does work for some people, but there reaches a point where you can go no further. You could "work hard and play hard" during a really tough University degree but you wouldn't excel, you could get through fine, but 'play hard' caps you somewhere. Clearly you don't have to have no life at all but you can't get amazing marks in a difficult degree subject and be out several times a week not really. Its about striking the balance
Any grade at GCSE implies nothing about intelligence. It is possible to get top grades at GCSE with rote learning only.
Reply 12
I got 9A*'s and 3A's at the same time as being an international athlete and having a (I think) normal social life; then again GCSE's are a breeze compared to A-levels and University I imagine will be a slap in the face compared to any work I've done so far :L It's about using your time effectively, not necessarily giving it all over to academia :smile:
An outgoing person is outgoing, regardless of grades.
An introverted and shy person will too be introverted and shy, even if they devote no time to work.
/Ridiculous thread.
Reply 14
8 or more A*s doesn't make you a genius..I didn't revise all that much for the majority of them so found it didn't effect my social life much at all. But as a whole people are reluctant to go out that much near exam time anyway !
Original post by Fumblenuts91
An outgoing person is outgoing, regardless of grades.
An introverted and shy person will too be introverted and shy, even if they devote no time to work.
/Ridiculous thread.

Very well said.

Why can't I study for 2/3 hours as soon as I get in and then go get hammered/****-faced?
Reply 16
i got 7...sud get 8 by the end of y13 as im doing gcse french as i didnt go a language previously. i wud say tht 5a*+ is the barrier....even those tht try and don't...as long u get more than 5a*'s ur still in the game :colone: but at a level....the jheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze and the noobs get seperated :colone:
I agree with most other posts that 8A* are by no means an indication of genius . If you start early studying hard , you can do it easily , so i cant add more to that .
Original post by Rahul.S
i got 7...sud get 8 by the end of y13 as im doing gcse french as i didnt go a language previously. i wud say tht 5a*+ is the barrier....even those tht try and don't...as long u get more than 5a*'s ur still in the game :colone: but at a level....the jheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze and the noobs get seperated :colone:

you're part of the noobs :colone:
Reply 19
Original post by itzRussian
A*s at GCSE aren't a big achievement... now before I get negged let me say that A* GCSEs show that the person put in effort early in their life and that even unsuccessful people have to put in the same effort into other areas of life when the time comes. I don't do any revision until 2-3weeks pre-exam when it gets up to 2hours. The key is overcoming the areas you struggle on in subjects, which can easily be done in lesson time. Make up time for socializing? Never felt that academia, socializing and sport ever really clashed time-wise. I sleep during the day sometime, yah, to make up for hours wasted on fb (or something similar) at night :smile:

OP, you clearly have a misconception that people who excel in academia fail at other areas. Couldn't be further from the truth! In fact, socializing & sport strengthen confidence & time management which can lead to those A*s. Most people you'll find at Oxbridge are very good communicators and all-rounded people :biggrin: (source: Uncle from Oxf & family friend's daughter at Emma studying law)

Yeah itzRussian! I hv the belief dat one needs to be "nerdy" to get good grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending