The Student Room Group

60% of applicants receive 4 rejections

I - and others - quote this statistic a lot but I'm not sure where I first read it. I am sure it was in a paper (etc.) somewhere, but I'm increasingly worried that it's just a 'word of mouth' thing on TSR and the original source is now ridiculously unreliable/out of date. Does anybody have any idea where the idea of 60% of applicants receiving 4 rejections originated from? I don't want to keep quoting it if it's just plain wrong!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On Medlink, they gave stats like 33% recieve one offer and 0.04% recieve four offers.

But it seems about right.
It seems true from what I have observed.
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
I - and others - quote this statistic a lot but I'm not sure where I first read it. I am sure it was in a paper (etc.) somewhere, but I'm increasingly worried that it's just a 'word of mouth' thing on TSR and the original source is now ridiculously unreliable/out of date. Does anybody have any idea where the idea of 60% of applicants receiving 4 rejections originated from? I don't want to keep quoting it if it's just plain wrong!

Isn't it from the UCAS stats. 2010 (last year intake) there were around 20,000 applicants and only a total of 8,000 places. Hence 60% didn't receive an offer. Couldn't find a link for those stats sorry but I'm pretty confident they're around that.
Reply 4
Original post by ScrubZ
Isn't it from the UCAS stats. 2010 (last year intake) there were around 20,000 applicants and only a total of 8,000 places. Hence 60% didn't receive an offer. Couldn't find a link for those stats sorry but I'm pretty confident they're around that.

Perhaps - but I originally applied for 2010 entry and I heard the 60% when I was applying (so, before the 2010 entry stats were avaliable) - hm, not sure. Maybe it's just 60% rejected (avg.) every year?
Original post by ScrubZ

then that should mean that this year, an even greater % should get 4 rejections as there are more applicants this year...

but I heard the 60% thing before the 2010 cycle even started
Original post by Beska
Perhaps - but I originally applied for 2010 entry and I heard the 60% when I was applying (so, before the 2010 entry stats were avaliable) - hm, not sure. Maybe it's just 60% rejected (avg.) every year?

I think its probably an average of applicant/rejection of all the medical schools...

as otherwise it must change (increase) every year as there are more applicants and yet the same amount of places....
Original post by Beska

The SGUL admissions officer said that to me for GEP too. I'd dare say it's higher for grad entry.
Reply 8
is this for medicine?
or just in general..

edit: ok scrap that, just realised this is posted in the medicine forum :colondollar:
blonde moment is over.
Reply 9
http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_services/stats_online/data_tables/hesubject

Using the figures from the Applicants & Applicants accepted, 37.9% got an offer for '10 entry. Admittedly, that's combined with dentistry, but it is roughly the quote figure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by chloemo14
http://www.ucas.com/about_us/stat_services/stats_online/data_tables/hesubject

Using the figures from the Applicants & Applicants accepted, 37.9% got an offer for '10 entry. Admittedly, that's combined with dentistry, but it is roughly the quote figure.

Aha! Seems official then!
How successful are reapplicants for medicine? How many decide to reapply?

This 60% statistic makes me feel slightly better :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Harbour Seal
How successful are reapplicants for medicine? How many decide to reapply?

This 60% statistic makes me feel slightly better :smile:

Reapplicants with a minimum of AAA and decent application seem to do fine. Some unis favour applicants who already have the grades: UCL (allow slightly lower BMAT scores) and Leeds (give extra points to reapplicants).
Original post by Beska
Does anybody have any idea where the idea of 60% of applicants receiving 4 rejections originated from? I

Me probably.
Reply 14
to put it in context though, this is the first time nearly all of the applicants have applied for something, so they arent really fine tuned for applying for things yet. Also, a good deal of the applicants are at least for now untested incompetents for whom cooking breakfast is an impossible notion. Its small wonder that so many fail at the first hurdle in a proper formal application.

With experience you'd all be capable of landing straight offers,and without batting your eyes.

put another way, some of you guys will be soooo much better at 25 than at 17.
(edited 13 years ago)
This is true, the % of people getting 4 rejections is even higher for dentistry!
Reply 16
exactly Dentistryyyy is tougghhhh mannn...

for example leeds got 1500 applications for like 80 places...

also like only 2 dental schools accept a levels resits, where as more for medicine

Original post by Dentalprodigy
This is true, the % of people getting 4 rejections is even higher for dentistry!
Reply 17
well dont resit them.
resits for non-exceptional circumstances should just be banned really. at my school we were discouraged from doing them, proud of that but did put us at a disadvantage against the idiots who just resit a billion times and then get an A by essentially statistical chance
Original post by Beska

I dont know how true that is but from what other people have said it sounds about right. Seems a bit high though.

Quick Reply

Latest