The Student Room Group

Could an inferiority complex result in a superiority complex?

Is it possible that your brain/ego, would just start lying to itself/you to compensate for an inferiority complex, and result in you having a superiority complex?
yes
Reply 2
its practically the same thing in away...
Most definitely. The ones who are constantly trying to show how much better they are than you are generally the ones most unsure of themselves, which is why people should never take too much to heart what other people say about them. =)
Sounds plausable.

I believe this image answers your question fully

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
No, they are two complete opposites.
If what you say is true (that an inferiority complex is/becomes a superiority complex) there wouldn't be such a thing as an inferiority complex.

Take for example, people who commit suicide:
Inferiority complex: Yes
Superiority complex: No
Reply 6
Original post by MathematicsKiller

Original post by MathematicsKiller
No, they are two complete opposites.
If what you say is true (that an inferiority complex is/becomes a superiority complex) there wouldn't be such a thing as an inferiority complex.

Take for example, people who commit suicide:
Inferiority complex: Yes
Superiority complex: No

But what I'm saying is, because the inferiority complex is so detrimental to their development the ego kicks in and instead of getting rid of the inferiority complex and making the person feel normal, it goes polar and causes the person to think they're amazing.
Original post by sammynorton90
But what I'm saying is, because the inferiority complex is so detrimental to their development the ego kicks in and instead of getting rid of the inferiority complex and making the person feel normal, it goes polar and causes the person to think they're amazing.

In a way, yes - I've seen people with big, long noses being over-confident.

Nevertheless, on the subject in which they feel inferior, e.g. nose, they will always feel inferior.
Reply 8
You're certainly adding to the number.
Original post by sammynorton90

I'm not sure it works exactly as you've described but I've no doubt that most of the people who act like they're superior are actually people with inferiority complexes, who are trying to convince themselves or others that they're not so bad after all. It's all about seeking (self-)validation :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending