The Student Room Group

Is completing an A level over three years valid?

So I'm very worried that my A level maths might not be deemed as valid because I will have completed it next year (started it in 2009) and therefore done it in a three year period.

Basically at my old school we sat our Maths GCSE in year 10 so in year 11 we began Alevel maths but our school had realised that the previous years that had to do this had not done so well in their AS modules as it was squezed into a just 3 lessons a week (when most sixth formers generally have 5). Because of this my school decided to only do two of the AS modules in year 11. Unsuprisingly, myself and a few others didnt do so great in those two modules and were planning to resit innyear 12. Added to that I didnt want to stay at my old school's sixth form and decided to go to another one that did Alevel maths on the same exam board (edexcel) . I have now resat my C1 paper and will do C2 and S1 in May but people that did the two AS modules early like me from my old school have now been told that their A levels may be valid as it will be completed in a period of three years instead of two and that they will have to switch exam boards!

I have to add that, some of the people from my former maths class that did well the first time were planning to complete 2 modules each (so the two we did in year 11, another two in year 12 and the final two in year 13) where as will complete three this year and three next.

Am I in the same position as them? Will I have to inform my new school that I might have to change boards and will Universities be aware of the two modules I sat in year 11 and retook this year and penalise me for it?:frown::frown::frown:

SO WORRIED PLEASE HELP? (Sorry its so long)
Reply 1
I think it will be valid but the entry requirements could be higher?
In either case, message the university.
I believe that the universities are made aware of resits.
Reply 2
Original post by StephZish
So I'm very worried that my A level maths might not be deemed as valid because I will have completed it next year (started it in 2009) and therefore done it in a three year period.

Basically at my old school we sat our Maths GCSE in year 10 so in year 11 we began Alevel maths but our school had realised that the previous years that had to do this had not done so well in their AS modules as it was squezed into a just 3 lessons a week (when most sixth formers generally have 5). Because of this my school decided to only do two of the AS modules in year 11. Unsuprisingly, myself and a few others didnt do so great in those two modules and were planning to resit innyear 12. Added to that I didnt want to stay at my old school's sixth form and decided to go to another one that did Alevel maths on the same exam board (edexcel) . I have now resat my C1 paper and will do C2 and S1 in May but people that did the two AS modules early like me from my old school have now been told that their A levels may be valid as it will be completed in a period of three years instead of two and that they will have to switch exam boards!

I have to add that, some of the people from my former maths class that did well the first time were planning to complete 2 modules each (so the two we did in year 11, another two in year 12 and the final two in year 13) where as will complete three this year and three next.

Am I in the same position as them? Will I have to inform my new school that I might have to change boards and will Universities be aware of the two modules I sat in year 11 and retook this year and penalise me for it?:frown::frown::frown:

SO WORRIED PLEASE HELP? (Sorry its so long)
This sounds very muddled to me! I'm not sure that your mates at the other school have got their story quite right.

The first thing to clarify is whether you are intending to apply for Maths at uni - it doesn't sound like it. In that case, taking Maths modules over a three year period and resitting some of them on the way is unlikely to be problem for you.

Secondly, you presumably don't have an AS grade to declare yet, and won't have until this summer, as you didn't do all the modules required for this in Year 11 (until the grades have been cashed in/certificated you don't have the qualification). In that case you should be able to just declare the AS grade you are awarded this summer, and unless the uni/s you are applying to require the information you won't have to declare your module grades at all.

I'd talk this over with your Exams Officer and Maths teacher/s at your new school but on the face of it I don't think you have a problem.
I've known people who have, and are currently doing A Levels in 3 years, and have managed to get uni places. I was gonna do the same thing myself, but then dropped out after 2nd year of sixth form (long story that's not relevant to this thread). When I first joined TSR I made a thread about this same topic, and basically people said that many unis tend to look down on people a bit for not completing A Levels within 2 years, but will still consider you if you can prove yourself to be hardworking enough and have a good overall application for uni. Like mintmocha said, it's probably best to contact the unis themselves to see what they say about it. Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've known people who have, and are currently doing A Levels in 3 years, and have managed to get uni places. I was gonna do the same thing myself, but then dropped out after 2nd year of sixth form (long story that's not relevant to this thread). When I first joined TSR I made a thread about this same topic, and basically people said that many unis tend to look down on people a bit for not completing A Levels within 2 years, but will still consider you if you can prove yourself to be hardworking enough and have a good overall application for uni. Like mintmocha said, it's probably best to contact the unis themselves to see what they say about it. Good luck :smile:
Taking modules in Year 11 isn't usually a problem; it's the resitting of modules to improve the overall A level grade in 'Year 14' that can be. In any subject other than Maths the OP's story wouldn't be a problem - the issue for Maths is that some unis insist on an A grade at first sitting for all modules of the Maths and Further Maths AS/A levels. This is why taking AS modules early is not a good idea.

The OP does not need to contact any unis at this stage, BTW, unless my interpretation of his post is wrong. In which case he'd better clarify the position!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending