The Student Room Group

Moon Gets Closer to Earth.

It was a clear dark night last night. I saw the moon. And even without binoculars I could see in fine detail all the craters on the moon.

Either the moon just got a lot bigger or it got closer to the Earth.
Reply 1
The moon's meant to be moving away from the earth . . . maybe it's orbit is slightly eliptical . . .
Reply 2
Original post by Nix-j-c
The moon's meant to be moving away from the earth . . . maybe it's orbit is slightly eliptical . . .

Yes, it is supposed to be moving away. But last night I've never seen it so close/big. It was huge and as clear as anything. People were looking up to it as they walked from the top of the steep road down.
Original post by Martyn*
Yes, it is supposed to be moving away. But last night I've never seen it so close/big. It was huge and as clear as anything. People were looking up to it as they walked from the top of the steep road down.

This may explain it:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/858439-supermoon-set-to-return-this-weekend

It should be more visible today, than yesterday hopefully
Reply 4
I think this is some kind of optical effect when the moon is close to the earth's surface (i.e. not very high in the sky). I am not a physicist in optics, but that it my guess on it, since I have seen the same, several months ago when the moon was just rising above the horizon and it was just MASSIVE...

I doubt that the Japanese quake had that much of an effect on the earth's orbit. Feel free to prove me wrong on the optics bit, I love to learn new things :smile:

EDIT: Oh wow, looking at the article above, it seems I am right :smile:
Reply 5
Must be the cursed Illuminati at work again.
Original post by The Russian
I think this is some kind of optical effect when the moon is close to the earth's surface (i.e. not very high in the sky). I am not a physicist in optics, but that it my guess on it, since I have seen the same, several months ago when the moon was just rising above the horizon and it was just MASSIVE...

I doubt that the Japanese quake had that much of an effect on the earth's orbit. Feel free to prove me wrong on the optics bit, I love to learn new things :smile:

EDIT: Oh wow, looking at the article above, it seems I am right :smile:

Yup, you should read the Metro :wink: They do sometimes have a "cosm" page, which is interesting stuff
Reply 7
the moon is getting closer, all the natural disasters, dictators being overthrown; i think its the start of the rapture
Reply 8
the moon is closer to the earth at the moment..will appear closest tonight

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/mar/19/super-moon-set-fill-night-sky-ar-915167/
Reply 9
I thought it looked great last night, tonight it will be spectacular
Just had Deja Vu of Majoras Mask.

I wondered why there was so much light last night and that probably explains it, can't wait to see it tonight.
Reply 11
Here's my overly dramatic time lapse of the supermoon.

http://vimeo.com/21240497
Reply 12
I already explained this.

But I MUST add: Every month someone somewhere makes a topic or thread saying "WOW, the moon is HUGE/BRIGHT tonight, what's going on??!?!?!!?!"

It's called a full moon, and the only difference is for the past 13+ years you haven't looked up (or you've just moved to a low-light area).
I missed it :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by nonotrly
I already explained this.

But I MUST add: Every month someone somewhere makes a topic or thread saying "WOW, the moon is HUGE/BRIGHT tonight, what's going on??!?!?!!?!"

It's called a full moon, and the only difference is for the past 13+ years you haven't looked up (or you've just moved to a low-light area).

4 thumbs down?

So the density of "people who don't look up" are about 4 people in every few minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending